Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past few weeks ive noticed (when the radio isn't on) a rattling coming from behind the dash somewhere (probably in the engine bay).

The noise only happens under moderate to heavy acceleration around 3000 - 3500 RPM's.

I took it to the dealer today and of course, it didn't make the noise, does anyone else have this same rattle? how did you fix it? did you figure out how to replicate the sound?

thanks,
Dan
 

·
on line
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, i can usually only notice it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear (road noise might be too loud in 5th and 6th)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
Then read this from XOC:

"I have seen various posts/discussions around strange noises / rattles coming from the engine compartment, particularly noticable under particular conditions and noticeable at certain rpms. I had been experiencing a similar problem with my Xterra, which presented itself after about 25,000km from new. The noise was a very disconcerting rattle which appeared to be from the engine bay right behind the driver's side dash (imagine right behind the gauge cluster). The noise would appear only at certain rpm's (usually around 3,000rpm) under acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear. The noise did not always happen under these conditions and was sometime disturbingly loud, and other times barely noticeable. Had a VERY difficult time getting this problem serviced by the dealership (several appointments), with some difficulty at first getting them to hear the noise, but later, they could hear the noise, but they simply didn't know what it was. Finally, and I was pretty skeptical about this, they said the problem was the clutch release bearing (Xterra is the 6spd offroad). Sure enough, after they replaced the bearing, the problem has completely gone away (one week of use so far). Hopefully this information will be useful to Xterra owners who have a similar difficult to diagnose issue."

When you hear the noise, press the clutch slightly and if it goes away, then it's the clutch.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Offroad said:
Then read this from XOC:

"I have seen various posts/discussions around strange noises / rattles coming from the engine compartment, particularly noticable under particular conditions and noticeable at certain rpms. I had been experiencing a similar problem with my Xterra, which presented itself after about 25,000km from new. The noise was a very disconcerting rattle which appeared to be from the engine bay right behind the driver's side dash (imagine right behind the gauge cluster). The noise would appear only at certain rpm's (usually around 3,000rpm) under acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear. The noise did not always happen under these conditions and was sometime disturbingly loud, and other times barely noticeable. Had a VERY difficult time getting this problem serviced by the dealership (several appointments), with some difficulty at first getting them to hear the noise, but later, they could hear the noise, but they simply didn't know what it was. Finally, and I was pretty skeptical about this, they said the problem was the clutch release bearing (Xterra is the 6spd offroad). Sure enough, after they replaced the bearing, the problem has completely gone away (one week of use so far). Hopefully this information will be useful to Xterra owners who have a similar difficult to diagnose issue."

When you hear the noise, press the clutch slightly and if it goes away, then it's the clutch.
doesnt that imply that the problem is the clutch release bearing (nissans term for the throw out bearing i guess) not with the clutch itself?

thanks though, ill mention that the next time i go into the dealer
 

·
on line
Joined
·
332 Posts
I dont know about you but in my scientific opinion, it has to be a nissan gremlin. I have a ratteling coming from the forward left hand side of the dashboard.

I think it started after a four wheeling trip.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
641 Posts
cookX said:
Offroad said:
Then read this from XOC:

"I have seen various posts/discussions around strange noises / rattles coming from the engine compartment, particularly noticable under particular conditions and noticeable at certain rpms. I had been experiencing a similar problem with my Xterra, which presented itself after about 25,000km from new. The noise was a very disconcerting rattle which appeared to be from the engine bay right behind the driver's side dash (imagine right behind the gauge cluster). The noise would appear only at certain rpm's (usually around 3,000rpm) under acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear. The noise did not always happen under these conditions and was sometime disturbingly loud, and other times barely noticeable. Had a VERY difficult time getting this problem serviced by the dealership (several appointments), with some difficulty at first getting them to hear the noise, but later, they could hear the noise, but they simply didn't know what it was. Finally, and I was pretty skeptical about this, they said the problem was the clutch release bearing (Xterra is the 6spd offroad). Sure enough, after they replaced the bearing, the problem has completely gone away (one week of use so far). Hopefully this information will be useful to Xterra owners who have a similar difficult to diagnose issue."

When you hear the noise, press the clutch slightly and if it goes away, then it's the clutch.
doesnt that imply that the problem is the clutch release bearing (nissans term for the throw out bearing i guess) not with the clutch itself?

thanks though, ill mention that the next time i go into the dealer
Right, I meant the problem is the bearing...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
cookX said:
So for the past few weeks ive noticed (when the radio isn't on) a rattling coming from behind the dash somewhere (probably in the engine bay).

The noise only happens under moderate to heavy acceleration around 3000 - 3500 RPM's.
I've had a buzzing noise, at similar rpms, that sometimes stays around for a day or two, especially after I've been offroad. This is the closest description I've seen to my experience on this site. I've sort of figured maybe it's the alternator gunked up with dust...but who knows. It won't do it at the dealer (lol!) and I've had no consequences I can see, so it's wait and see at this point.

I'd describe my noise as a kind of "jammed fan" buzzing.

And I can hear it sometimes in 5th or 6th. It's not my clutch.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
4 Posts
Is this topic gettin' old?

I just bought a 2005 Xterra S, 6 speed, and when I test drove it, I noticed a rattle behind the dash. I mentioned it to the sales person and he mentioned it was probably a heat shield on the exhaust. I came upon a thread that night, realized it was the clutch release bearing issue, and emailed the salesman. The salesman agreed after checking w/ the mechanic and put the repair into the contract. It's a 9 hour job to replace a $30 part. I got the truck back and I'm thinking everything is perfect, but after a week or so, I get a rattle again--I hope they actually replaced the clutch release bearing; or maybe it's a heat shield? It's very sporadic, and sometimes I think it's my water bottle in the door cup holder, but it aint. I can't place in what condition it happens exactly. This seems to be a epidemic in this vehicle. Any solution that's been proven by the dealers (experts)?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
My '06 SE came with a rattle on the right side of the dash when I`d go over the slightest bump in the road.After 3 trips to the stealer and 4 days without my X they found the problem.It was the body mounting point.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
couldnt get the x to make the sound at the dealer, but i think i may have figured out how to make it make the sound..

if you let it sit out in the sun on a hot day for a while (a few hours) and then drive it, it will make the rattle.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top