Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2005 SE cluster with unknown amount of miles on it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that can change the odometer to read the miles that are on my current dash. It being a 2005 dash and my Xterra being a 2006 with 7,300 miles I think it would be a fair bet that the cluster will have more miles than that. Guess I won't know untill I tear by dash apart and plug it in.

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything I have found have pointed to it being held in the cluster. Cyclemut over at XOC said it was held in the cluster, but we'll know for sure when it come in sometime next week or two.

·
on line
559 Posts
I was watching that auction. I wanted it just so I can remove the rings and add it to my cluster. :)

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aye, Terdar here and there.

Got a reply from a place in VA and they quoted me $310... but hey, they pay the shipping...

So thats not really worth it seeing as the SE cluster from the dealer is $250...

Will be talking to the local dealers and see what they can do or where they send them to. Then again I may be lucky and the odometer is with in limits.

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has the rings and the trip computer where as all the non-SE models just have the two trip odometers.

·
on line
559 Posts
Yeah, but I believe the plugs are different so you may not be able to plug and play.

·
on line
400 Posts
max6spd said:
Yeah, but I believe the plugs are different so you may not be able to plug and play.
:bounce: :salute: :thumbleft: lol forum is full of comedians

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll see I guess. I haven't found anything on anyone actually trying this. There was a lot of talking about it on XOC, but after they found out it was $250 they all threw in the towel and dropped it. Since everything else on the X is already prewired it would seem a bit silly to run different wires in the SE. If I can find a picture of a 2wd S cluster I could compare it before I pull my dash and let yah know.

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the SE cluster does work perfectly fine and connects without a problem. All the functions of the trip computer work as well. Found my avg. speed around town is 21mph and my avg. mpg is 16mpg (and I have a rather heavy right foot). The removal of the dash is super easy (thanks Dragon); you don’t even need to remove the center stack. The only problem we ran into is that the cluster I bought off E-bay had soda split into it and it messed the speedo motor up a bit. At random is would select and new “0�. After getting off the interstate I noticed while I was sitting still that I was doing 60…, so after that I was doing 100mph when I was doing 40mph. Thankfully this did not effect the odometer in any way. When the needles would reset they would only do around 20mph at a time, so I would have to reset them a few times to get it back to zero.

For those that just want the rings, it couldn’t be easier to do. After all of that I decided to have Dragon put my old cluster back in. When we went to pull the ring out we found that the clear leans and the face plate (metal rings, and other features) are all one piece. So now I am running my factory cluster with the SE face plate. As a side not, it should be easy to paint the face plate if you felt the need to.

In total it took less than half an hour to pull it apart and put everything back together.

:cheers:

**Edit**
Just to clear up any confusion... the milage is stored in the instrument cluster. The SE cluster only had 390 miles more than my X so I didn't fret over it.

·
on line
564 Posts
Great info...thanks! I'd love to have a trip computer in mine.

Why did you switch back to the original cluster though? Did you try to fix the sticky speedo motor?

Rob

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Due to time restraints, not wanting to tear the dash apart a 3rd time, and small chance of success I decided this was the best way to go.

This is the best I can do for the different clusters:
S Cluster video (Intake and exhaust [magnaflow dual in dual out]) only like 75% throttle.

SE cluster doing 60mph while off.

·
on line
22 Posts
Terdar said:
Far as I could tell it was only stored in the cluster.
So - when you replaced the cluster your mileage changed to whatever was on the "new" se cluster, not the actual mileage of your truck?

·
on line
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct. The SE cluster happend to have only 390 more miles on it, so I felt that wasn't too much to concern myself about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts