Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone tinted their windows yet? I know we have 20% in the back. I'm planning on doing mine up this weekend, 5% in the rear and 20% in the front.

And in case ya didn't know what the tint levels mean:

50% - 50% of light can come through

30% - 30% of light can come through

20% - 20% of light can come through

5% - 5% of light can come through

1% - 1% of light can come through

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Check here before you begin.
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/
Find you state and click on it for a more detailed explanation.
I spent big bucks on tint, and Got busted with 7% too dark, I didn't allow for the factory window tint. It was a take it off now or pay a $150 fine.
I took it off real fast! MC

·
on line
163 Posts
You're in CA. I remember hearing that in CA it is illegal to tint your front windows. That is the only place where the law comes into affect.

In CO, it is 35%, which is the darkest you'll ever find legally. But I have 15% and had it on many cars for many years... Police in CO don't care, but in CA they supposedly are super strick about it (again, from what I hear - I don't know anything about tint in CA from experience)

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh for sure it's illegal. The guy at the tint shop told me so, but I don't really care. I want my dang privacy! And a contrast between 5% and no tint would be too extreme.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
My honda had 20% and in NY we only allow like 80%. Guy didn't give me the option of taking it off, just gave me the ticket.

Got the information in the mail after pleading not guilty and it was a $10 fine lol.

For $10 I kept the tint on. :bounce:

·
on line
1,831 Posts
In CA, they were ticketing for it quite a bit when the law passed but since then they've relaxed. So funny that someone just made a post about this since I've got an appointment to get the fronts done at 20%.

If anyone else is thinking of getting theirs done soon, ask the shop if they've had any quality issues with the 3M film, which is usually top grade stuff. My guy said they do carry it but are returning their whole batch because recent orders were bubbling and peeling, which is abnormal.
________
Suzuki re5 history

·
on line
3,262 Posts
XterraOverload said:
The problem here is they wont give you your inspection sticker unless it's legal. NC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Depends on where you go. I had 5% all around on my maxima when i lived in louisiana (definitly illegal). And all i did was go to the ghetto and go to a shop late in the day, around closing time (when i knew the main manager wouldnt be present). And voila, i got my inspection everytime.

I would suggest going with the legal limit though you dont want those po-pos coming to get ya.

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh it's on like donkey kong. 5% rear, 20% front. That's pretty much what's up in Cali is you get a $10 ticket. Or if you know a cop (I do) just get him to sign off that you fixed it. Lol...

Also, if you go there and they charge you $180 or whatever for tints, tell em' you'll pay em' $150 CASH. They ususally hook it up.

On syndicate's comment: i'm not sure what kind of film they use, but if you have those dots on the back of your car (our X's dont), it's called the dot matrix problem and will cause your shit to bubble up because of the tiny air pockets in there.

·
on line
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hooked them up last weekend. Gotta post pics will do later. I got 4% on the back and 30% in the front.

How did you get 4% you may ask? Well our factory is 20%, if you throw another 20% layer on that .20 x .20 = .04 aka 4%. If I had done 5% on top of the 20% it would have yielded 1% which is just way too insanely dark.

The 30% in the front is very nice too. If you have the grey interior it doesn't even look that feloniously bad. The sweet thing too is that you always have the option of going darker if you choose too. However, if you go dark (20%) in the beginning and you regret it, you can never go back.

·
on line
196 Posts
I used 15% for all windows, on the back the stock tint +15%=LIMO. I though about using 5% on the rears but I think that it would be a PITA @ night. Its pretty dark now.
It is a PITA! I have 5% on all windows. I love it in the summer, but it is just too dark. I have to have my windows down just to back up! It's not safe. I am putting 27% on the four windows and keeping the 5% percent on the back winows and rear windshield. Your tint looks nice.[/quote]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts