Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - Went to a wedding in Northen AZ yesterday at the Snowbowl Ski Resort. No snow obviously this time of year, but we were at about 9,000ft - possibly higher. When leaving the place the BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP of the pressure sensor sounds and the light goes off. So I get out and give all the tires a look around, then drive to the bottom of the mountain and test them all with the pressure guage. All are 35'ish PSI, give or take 1 or 2 PSI.

Weird I think - Maybe it's the spare! So we drive back to the hotel and this morning I start up the X to see if the light is still on - It is. I check all 5 tires and all are up to pressure. So I figure it must be a faulty pressure sensor or something.

So we drive home today and as we pass about 4,000ft elevation heading down to home at about 1300ft the light decides that my pressures are now fine and goes out!!!!!

Anyone had any weird shit like that happen with the pressure sensors? I figure it must have been something to do with the altitude or somethin.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
At least on the 06 I don't get the annoying beeeeep. My pressure sensor goes off everytime I drive to Estes Park (about 9000 ft). First time it happened I pulled over to check, after that I learned to ignore the light.

And don't waste time thinking it is the spare. No sensor there....

·
on line
64 Posts
You could be right about it being the altitude, but I would still bring it to a dealer and have them check it out. When I bought mine the salesman told me about three times that after you get a tire repaired you need to make sure that the sensor is reconfigured. Maybe thats all yours needs. Anyway, good luck fixing it.

·
on line
496 Posts
My light stays on all the time now since I drove to the midwest from North Carolina with all the sensors in the console. Soon as I get new seals I'm going to reinstall them in the steelies.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Grunzen said:
My light stays on all the time now since I drove to the midwest from North Carolina with all the sensors in the console. Soon as I get new seals I'm going to reinstall them in the steelies.
Maybe you just have low pressure in your console... :geek:

·
on line
168 Posts
DuXterra said:
You could be right about it being the altitude, but I would still bring it to a dealer and have them check it out. When I bought mine the salesman told me about three times that after you get a tire repaired you need to make sure that the sensor is reconfigured. Maybe thats all yours needs. Anyway, good luck fixing it.
Sounds like some sales male bovine excrement. :clown:

·
on line
295 Posts
I'm at 8200 and have gone to 10K+ with out them going off until I air down. Don't see what the magic in 9000 would be.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
The funny thing about mine is it just happens at one place on the road. I think it is when the road decends after rising for awhile then goes back up. Other times and locals I have had no trouble. ( and as an amusing side-note the local when my alarms has gone off is near Jellystone Campground)

·
on line
295 Posts
^ :reindeer: Hey, Hey, Hey Boo Boo!
^ Was Pony looking to steal your pickanik basket!!
^ROFL

·
on line
2,540 Posts
RogueClimber said:
At least on the 06 I don't get the annoying beeeeep. My pressure sensor goes off everytime I drive to Estes Park (about 9000 ft). First time it happened I pulled over to check, after that I learned to ignore the light.

And don't waste time thinking it is the spare. No sensor there....
Every time you go to Estes? Thats odd as mine never went off when I was up there last year nor this year.

·
on line
2 Posts
Mine beeeeeep when it's cold ouside like this pass winter we had alot of -20F and below. But after hitting the highway the tire temparature heats up then it goes away, it takes about 5 minutes for the low tire presure light to go away.

·
on line
527 Posts
My light came on the other day i checked all the pressures and they are all still spot on. I hit a pot hole (I love city streets) going pretty fast sunday and the light came on 2 days later. Think I could have rattled it loose? Not really sure how they work or how they are attached.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
dont know about if its loose or not?!? It sounds about right.

Anyway, are the 05's the only ones with the BEEEEEP. because when i caught a flat tire i didnt hear anything, but my light did come on.

·
on line
295 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
dont know about if its loose or not?!? It sounds about right.

Anyway, are the 05's the only ones with the BEEEEEP. because when i caught a flat tire i didnt hear anything, but my light did come on.
That's for me 'cause I gotta be blind to love my UGLY 05X.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Worthless

AZ.X.Man said:
Those pressure sensors creat more problems than they are worth.
--I'm afraid they instill a false sence of security and give false signals ALL the time---Better to just check your Air pressure each time you fill-up. When you change wheels , you get a whole new set of problems-- this was a Bad idea on the X-- :colors: :colors: --J(IMBO

·
on line
1,479 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: Worthless

AZ.X.Man said:
Those pressure sensors creat more problems than they are worth.
--I'm afraid they instill a false sence of security and give false signals ALL the time---Better to just check your Air pressure each time you fill-up. When you change wheels , you get a whole new set of problems-- this was a Bad idea on the X-- :colors: :colors: --J(IMBO
I have to dissagree. they have worked pretty weel for me. I remember having the light go off and never understanding what the heck that thing looked like, the light came off the same day they gave me the X. Finally i figured out it was the tire sensors. and checked tire presure. thank god for that thing. I had 15 psi all around.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
JIMBO said:
-- this was a Bad idea on the X-- :colors: :colors: --J(IMBO
Unfortunately a Federally Mandated bad idea...

·
on line
315 Posts
Hmm...I've had them in 2 cars and never had a problem. They warned me very quickly that I had just run over a 2" piece of glass that happened to go straight through the tire. It deflated in a matter of minutes, but I was able to get it off before the rim even hit the ground. Since they have worked perfectly and are not intrusive (other than when wheeling, of course, but that's understandable) I happen to like them.

There are a lot of morons out there that don't ever check their tire pressure. I saw a lady today whose rear tire was so flat the rim was about 1" off the ground. I don't mind an idiot light that tells these dumbasses to put air in a tire before it blows up on the highway and they run into me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts