Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I opened my hefty bumper and found a few places it has been gouged or scraped down to the bare metal. It doesn't seem to be damaged, but the bare metal is exposed in a few places. One is a very large place. I contacted Chris, and he said just to hit it with some rustoleum. I can post pictures if you like. My question is, is this ok, or should I push for powder coat? I feel like I paid so much for it, I should have a good powder coat on it when its new. Will rustoleum hold up like a powder coat?

Thanks guys.

How-to write up will come when it's installed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If they're just little scrapes, I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you're talking about 3-foot long gouges where the width is more than an inch or two, then I'd file a claim with the shipping company and try to get them to pay for powdercoat.

That bumper is designed to take hits, and while it may look nice to have it all painted and pretty, its main function is utility. I'd have more respect for an owner who had gouges and scars in their front bumper; repainting will be unavoidable if you want it to look new.

That's just my opinion, though. I totally understand wanting to get what you paid for. I'd like to see a picture for reference

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The kicker is the Rustoleum will probably hold up better then the Hefty powder coat. :( I am going to have to take mine to a local place to get sand blasted and re-coated or strip it and paint it....

I would just spray it for now.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lizard, what is that costing you? I'll post pics in the morning, the main place is about 4 inches of bare metal.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lizard, what is that going to cost you? Thank you all for responding. I'll post pics tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I haven't got any quotes yet. I am going to wait to pull the bumper until after ECXC but I did strip and paint the radiator skid already. It was rusting bad under the powder coat. When I received my bumper originally it had a few scratches and I just painted them since I was sure I was going to scratch it in the trees anyway. The powder coat isn't failing because of that though. It just isn't very good coating unfortunately... I have a few shot in my build thread.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Happened to me also, except I got my scratches from installing it :-( I used primer for deeper scratches and then I spray painted with Rustoleum Textured Black. Looks OK

·
on line
22,508 Posts
FYI Hefty's powdercoater does the sh!tiest powder coating I have ever seen. After ever seeing every one of the Hefty bumpers I've seen in person easily chip and lots of them rusting out, bubbling and peeling like crazy (think fingernails sratching it off) I elected to order my Hefty bare steel and have it powdercoated locally by a very reputable shop. Very happy that did so. I've bashed mine hard into a boulder, so hard that I bent the bumper, and the PC did not flake off.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I just said screw it and took it to a powder coater locally, what would it cost me, anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
If it's on a visible area get Hefty to fix it or make a shipping claim as it is their responsibility. Other file a credit card dispute and get an undamaged bumper- if they were $200 I'd say spray it but for the near $1k you deserve a pristine bumper (until you damage it)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't want to file it with the shipping co. because the packaging wasn't damaged. It was packed with the damage already done. And what do you mean nearly $1k, it was well over $1k.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts