Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the M226 / D44 variant axle has the same overall center-section shape as a standard D44?

I know that the M226 has a 12-bolt cover, while the standard D44 has a 10-bolt cover, but other than the bolt-pattern, are they the same shape? If I were to get an aftermarket fabricated dif. cover would it fit (ignoring the fact that the bolt-holes wouldn't line up)?

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lloyd Swartz said:
I dont believe so, this has been discussed before. Shrockworks makes a nice diff cover guard though.
Yeah I know, but it is kind of expensive for what it is. I found a fully fabricated diff cover (the whole cover, not just a skid for it, like Shrock's) for less than the cost of the Shrockworks skid. Also, it is all 3/8" steel, where as the shrock skid has a 3/8" rings, but the actual skid part is onlt 1/4".

I am going to get it anyway. I talked to the owner of the shop and he said that they will send me one without the bolt-holes drilled so that I can drill them to fit our pattern. He also said that if it doesn't fit, I can return it for a full refund (assume it hasn't been drilled yet).
The only problem is that he said it will take 4-6weeks to get it, because they first have to do a run of 1,000 covers before Nov. 22, for the Christmas rush.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks lifeinthesouth, that actually helps a lot, because the one I am looking at looks pretty much identical to the BTF one, except the one I am looking at has a 1 piece cover, that is bent and formed into shape and welded up, instead of 3 separate pieces welded together (not that makes a differance) but it is also made entirely out of 3/8" steel, where as the BTF one has a 3/8" ring, but a 1/4" cover. Also, the one I am looking at cost over $40 less than the BTF cover.

Heres a pic:

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muzikman said:
What is the heat transfer going to be like without a finned 3/8" cover? The cover is how the diff stays cool.
I thought about that, but have yet to read about anyone ever having a problem with a cover like this. The way I see it, is the cover is just a huge ass heatsoak.

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$90 plus $10 shipping

·
on line
120 Posts
Nice! I sent in a brand new factory cover to BTF so they could fabricate the new one for me. The guy said that the ring was the same size as a 'normal' D44 other than the bolt holes.
You may, however, need to grind a little on the inside to clear a couple little clips in the housing....

·
on line
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll find out, I should be getting the cover this week. Since it was a custom order, they put me after there "xmas run" of 1000 covers, so I had to wait a month for this thing. Also, once I send them a template, they will be stocking these, so we will have another option.... one much less expensive than BTF if I remember correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts