Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my third set of retrofits, but they were still pretty new to me. The other 2 I did used H1 projectors with Gatling Gun shrouds.

But, I wanted to step up to a slightly larger projector and more aftermarket bulb options. So I went D2S this time.

I think this would have been a lot easier had I chosen different shrouds, but I really like the Panamera shrouds because they look like arc reactors when they're lit up. Because of that I was afraid of grinding the shrouds to fit the reflectors, so I modified the reflectors to fit the shrouds. Was this the easiest option? Not by far. But again, I really like how the shrouds look and did not want to modify them in any way.

All parts came from TRS (theretrofitsource.com)
What I stared with:
Morimoto Mini D2S 5.0 projectors
4200K Osram XBL bulbs
35W Morimoto ballasts
Panamera shrouds

The factory reflectors needs a LOT of cutting and re-supporting to fit this shrouds the way I wanted.

Using a Dremel and removing a little material at a time, I made space for the Panamera shrouds.

This probably took the longest as it was a lot of fitting and cutting and fitting and cutting.

The D2S tail screw requires a monstrous hole, which means I lost a lot of plastic to fit it, so I JB welded a massive washer to the back of the bowl for lifetime strength.

The alignment washer for the D2S hole compared to the original bulb opening. I ended up not using this washer because it's only purpose is to align the projector in an unmodified reflector. With the amount of modifications I had to make, the washer would have been useless.

Lots of material removed with the new mounting washer welded in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then using aluminum tape on the inside, I reshaped the reflectors allowing room for the shrouds.

Next, I got to play with fiberglass!

When the glass cured, I removed the tape from the inside and cleaned up the outside.

Almost done now!
Painted the reflectors gloss black to match the shrouds.

Put them back in the Xterra to level the beams, then back in the oven to reinstall the lenses! BTW, cleaning out all the old glue is the LEAST fun part of all of this.

Finished!

I cut out the factory moisture tube thing and installed 1 way moisture valves. I also added 2 silica moisture absorbing packs to each headlight. TRS sells all this stuff to prevent water and moisture inside the housings.

The pigtail is for the highbeam flaps (what are those called?) and the shroud LEDs. Everything is siliconed to prevent water/moisture.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Results!

Switchback LEDs doing their thing with turn signals.

Low beams

High beams

Something obnoxious to mention is the relay wiring harness from TRS wasn't exactly plug and play. I don't know if it's an Xterra thing or if the plug was wired incorrectly or what, but the high beam and low beams were reversed in the relay harness. High beams were on when the low beams should have been on, and when I switched on the high beams, the low beams were actually on. I had to reverse the blue and brown wires in the relay plug. Unsure where the fault was, but it was a head scratcher for a few minutes.

I'm super duper happy with the results. More light than I ever thought I could get from an Xterra, and they look damn good as well. It took a lot of work but it was definitely worth the results.

Would I do this again? Hell yes I would. Each time I make a set I learn something new and figure out improvements I can make for my next pair. It's actually pretty enjoyable to do. Takes a lot of time, but it's a fun project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
391 Posts
Amazing work! I've always wanted to try this but I think I'd stick to the smaller easier setups cause this looks like a lot of skill is needed.

Those panamera shrouds are sick though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Yeah, H1s would have definitely been easier to fit in the housings :p But I like the output of the D2S more and wanted to try something different! I like how they absolutely fill up the housings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow! Good F'ing job!, this is something I've been wanting to do since I bought my Xterr. I purchased LED bulbs for my low beams and want to do a retrofit, it seems that theretrofitsource doesn't suggest putting LED bulbs in projector housings that are not made for LED bulbs.

It looks like they do sell a set of LED projectors but they're double the price of set of HID ones, they also look huge compared to the HID projectors. Do you think they would fit in our headlight housing?

I used HID converstion kits from theretrofit source in my previous car and don't want to deal with HIDs again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like they do sell a set of LED projectors but they're double the price of set of HID ones, they also look huge compared to the HID projectors. Do you think they would fit in our headlight housing?

I used HID converstion kits from theretrofit source in my previous car and don't want to deal with HIDs again.

Thanks!
I'm sure you could make them fit! They do look bigger, and I imagine the heatsinks make them heavy as sin. But like these D2S projectors, I'm sure you'll have a lot of cutting and modding to make them fit. If you're looking for a project, I'm sure that would be a good one! The biggest problem is getting the threaded shaft to fit. It looks more similar to the D2S shaft than the H1 shaft. I don't think they would fit without doing that washer support I had to do. You lose too much material cutting out the opening.

I considered the M-LED 2.0, but don't like that you're stuck with 6300K. Maybe in a few years when they're on 4.0 or something I'll give them a shot, if they have different color temp options.

Awesome. Now when is the member product sale? :)
Well, I started this project at the beginning of the pandemic, and had plenty of time to finish them during the pandemic :p
Considering I'm still working from home, it's not like I can't make another set. Maybe I'll sell these and get started on the next ones!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts