Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was curious if anyone has run either of these tires. I have scoured the web for reviews and they seem to be few and far between on these two models. I am looking for an aggressive tread patter A/T that has decent road manners, but can handle off road terrain with the best of them.

I have ruled out the BFG AT KO, I feel they are an old school design and I honestly haven't heard much good about their off road capabilities compared to their newly engineered competition. I honestly feel BFG is being a bit lazy and using this 20 year old design still, come on put out something new already.

Also, the GY DT's are out because of their tendency to wear quickly and the price tag tacked on it just doesn't seem like an economical purchase. So I narrowed it down to these two tires.

and

Any other suggestions for aggressive AT's would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I went and checked out the Cooper at Big O and they are really nice looking tires. The only downfall is they have them marked way up, and they are hefty. The 285's are weighing in at 61 lbs each. OUCH. Whereas the DC's are running 56 lbs each, and I am concerned that the 5 lb difference is going to wreak havoc on my MPG and performance.

I also looked at the the Kelly Safari TSR which is a nice looking aggressive AT that is about the same weight as the DC, but nobody sells them locally at a decent price. Big O could get them but they were asking 273 per tire. Eff that!

Also for reference the GY DT's weigh in at 53 lbs.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have the Coopers on my frontier. Absolutely love them. Averaged 20mpg on a road trip from Philly to Santa Cruz, CA and back. Love them offroad and love them on road especially during bad weather. Bought mine thru Discount Tire's website for cheaper than tread depot. Cant remember off hand what I paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You end up picking a tire out? Im looking closely at the D-ick Cepeks now, trying to find feedback on here about them
Yeah, I ended up going with GY Duratracs. Reason being is I found a place in Denver that was selling them at cost and for that price there was nothing that could even meet the performance reviews and the love that the Duratracs get. I couldn't find much info on the Fun Country tires myself. Saw a guy in my apt. complex was running them, and glad I went the other route. Didn't find them all that attractive in person. Funny how a tire looks so much different online.

The only other tire that really came close in my book was the ST Maxx but they were hard to find here in Denver, and the place I did find selling them had them marked way up. So I think I made a good choice. Good luck with your research!

·
on line
510 Posts
Is having the M+S on the tread lesser to the mountain/snowflake?
Yes! (on slippery surfaces like slush, ice, cold pavement, hard-packed snow)

I have corresponded at some length with a reputable auto journalist and I have learned that...

1) Winter rubber trumps anything else in the winter (okay, slicks made of winter rubber would be "a fail", but you get the idea - it is that important)

2) The Mountain/Snowflake designation has been influenced by politics. I believe that they are moving toward objectivity, but I never did get a straight answer from a guy who is knowledgeable, but vulnerable - and that tells you something. What are the relative performance criteria for tires to be "mountain/snowflaked"? (See if you can find the list!) Should the (old/current) BFG AT T/A KO really have the mountain/snowflake designation - probably not - it is likely grandfathered or something.

3) The M+S designation is for the snowtires I remember as a child 35-40 years ago. They will be perfect for certain applications, but don't trust them on the slippery stuff. (Probably better than the MTs I've run the past few winters, but I do want to buy winter rubber.)

4) The dominant safety feature your truck has is The Driver. But even the perfect driver (The Stig?) will have others put him into situations in which the performance difference accorded him by tires and other equipment makes the difference between a hit and a miss.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
I just recently bought a set of D!ck Cepek Fun Country II tires from DesertRat.com I haven't installed them yet but they do look pretty beefy. The FC II has now been replaced with what's called The New Fun Country.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts