Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
735 Posts
wait a little while for the new wide track 2007 JK jeep wrangler axles to show up on ebay. They got the thick axle tubes like the rear of the 226 nissan d44, a driver side pumpkin on the front axle maybe good enough brakes.

·
on line
335 Posts
from what i hear...the axles on most of the new JKs aren't much larger than the D44s from the old wranglers...just wider...its the rubicon that got the new 'improved' D44

·
on line
117 Posts
All 07 Jk axles are 'improved'.
To what extent....im not sure.

How big of tires are you planning?
Stock TJ D30 front will hold 35's locked no problem.
The X has more power, so take that into account.

I say a D30 locked with 33s will hold up just fine in the X.
There is also a 'Super 30' kit that upgrades stock D30 shafts and comes with a locker.
Just throw in some D60's front and back, with 37's.

EDIT: sorry not to answer your question. Just a little input.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
First, a stock D30 would not be strong enough for 35's powered by the X's 265HP engine. The super D30 might be but it still has it's weak points. I guess if all you did was mall crawl you would be good.

The reason for the D44 and D30 differences in hub conversions is becuase of the shaft spline count.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
If you are changing the Axles might as well do it right the first time.

Throw some rockwell's under there. :sign5:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I would be scared to put a locked d30 with 35's, I have heard of to many people busting them, even the D-turdy5's get busted with 33's locked.

However everyone has different luck.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
A D30/35 on 35" tires would be fine on a Jeep with a 4 banger. But with the X's power, if you actually wheel you will bust axles at best.

·
on line
117 Posts
muzikman said:
A D30/35 on 35" tires would be fine on a Jeep with a 4 banger. But with the X's power, if you actually wheel you will bust axles at best.

The D35 is poo. Maybe 31's locked on a 4 banger.
Up to 33's open with the inline 6.
Forget that. I have the Turdy5 in my jeep and I wheel very very nice, until I get a 44 or 8.8 or 9.

Now about the D30.
Like I said before...I think it will hold fine in the front of an X locked with 33's, It gets iffy with 35's.
Take into account, the front axle only has about half of the stress of the rear.

If you want bigger, then by all means go BIGGER. When I swap (in the jeep) I wanna go with a Ford 9. (I wont go bigger than 37's)

Just throw in the 44 and call it good. Heck, throw in a 44 with alloy shafts.

·
on line
117 Posts
lostboy said:
I would be scared to put a locked d30 with 35's, I have heard of to many people busting them, even the D-turdy5's get busted with 33's locked.

However everyone has different luck.
Not to harp on you, but.....I have heard of people busting D44's too.

No matter what the axle, you will have nuts that will break it.
The 30 and 35 are about the same strenght, but the front (d30) doesnt have as much stress as the rear.

The D35 is worthless IMO.
I hear stories about the D35 holding up in Moab, (I have seen a few hold up real well, but I have seen a load of em' break)

Here is a pic of the rear 44 vs 35 shafts (just for fun)

For even more fun....broken 35's :blackeye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts