Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, in relation to all the speculation about what the maximum angle for our front half shafts are, I found this article:
http://www.ntn.co.jp/english/news/news_files/new_products/news20051213.html
Not sure what our X's are equipped with, or if there has been even more advances in the field of CV joint operating angles since this article was published.
And as I say that, I just found this article:
http://www.ntn.jp/english/news/news_files/new_products/news20060831.html
I sent them an email inquiring about our halfshafts.

·
on line
807 Posts
That is funny you posted this, I was actually thinking about this today. I was wondering if it would be possible to do the Titan swap, then run it at 3.5-4" of lift; it wouldn't be very good in the desert, but it would give you better clearance then a drop-bracket type lift. Hopefully, we will have CVs capable of running those angles.

EDIT:
Judging by the FSM, our CV's look more similar to the 54degree joints, with the 6-ball setup in the cup.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Well all I know is that when I had my radflos and TC UCA's I had massive amounts of contact because i had them cranked up alot. I think I got a tad bit more than 3" out of them. And I had no problems with my half shafts, even at MOAB. I say you dont really need to worry about it as long as you can handle the constant bumping and bashing of the little red bumpstop on the UCA's hitting the coilbucket (they do eventually wear down).

Baccardi Cola...... Do it!!!

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stevet47: Another thing about the Titan swap is that since the CVs would be 3" longer one could run a larger lift with less CV angle.
SexXTerra: I'm thinking about cutting that whole tab off, or having PRG make me some without the tab (whenever I actually buy the UCAs), and using limit straps to control droop. That would eliminate the UCAs banging on the towers, and possibly provide more suspension travel.

·
on line
807 Posts
rs182 said:
Stevet47: Another thing about the Titan swap is that since the CVs would be 3" longer one could run a larger lift with less CV angle.
SexXTerra: I'm thinking about cutting that whole tab off, or having PRG make me some without the tab (whenever I actually buy the UCAs), and using limit straps to control droop. That would eliminate the UCAs banging on the towers, and possibly provide more suspension travel.
1) Yep, thats why I am thinking I may be able to get up to 4" of lift with the Titan swap.

2) Sounds like a good idea. If you can't get them without the stops, maybe try the SLR UCAs, since they make them on-site, you may have more luck getting them made the way to want.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stevet47 said:
rs182 said:
1) Yep, thats why I am thinking I may be able to get up to 4" of lift with the Titan swap.

2) Sounds like a good idea. If you can't get them without the stops, maybe try the SLR UCAs, since they make them on-site, you may have more luck getting them made the way to want.
Nice. Once I get back home and gather all my tools for my SOA project I'll do some measuring on the halfshafts with my angle tool. 54º is quite a steep angle, I don't think it will be easy for us to exceed that.

·
on line
807 Posts
Since we have auto-locking hubs, and our CVs spin all the time, we would wear through the CV boots from the ribs rubbing on eachother long before we get to 54degrees.

·
on line
28 Posts
I'm running 4" lift up front (Radflo + 1" spacer) and yes the bellows of the inner cv boot rub slightly and is slowly wearing a groove into the boot. I might try some Mecatech boots because I've read that these work well in high angle applications. The other issue is from too much positive camber and I need to give PRG a call and see if his adjustable UCA's might fix this.

Reactions: AlbatrossCafe

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Johnnyv said:
I'm running 4" lift up front (Radflo + 1" spacer) and yes the bellows of the inner cv boot rub slightly and is slowly wearing a groove into the boot. I might try some Mectech boots because I've read that these work well in high angle applications. The other issue is from too much positive camber and I need to give PRG a call and see if his adjustable UCA's might fix this.
Yea I'm pretty sure there are high-angle CV boots somewhere. Do you have the TC UCAs Johnnyv? Not too much droop left I would expect.

·
on line
28 Posts
I had a custom 1" ball joint spacer made to go with the TC arms and that gave me 2" of droop travel. It's not much, but I don't really notice more bump stop contact when offroad.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnnyv said:
I had a custom 1" ball joint spacer made to go with the TC arms and that gave me 2" of droop travel. It's not much, but I don't really notice more bump stop contact when offroad.
Got any pics of your setup bro?

·
on line
28 Posts
Here is a pic

·
TNX Veteran
4,159 Posts
Say you had a 5" lift and did nothing about fixing the CV shaft angle and it wore to the point of breakdown over time.

Can you just replace the CV joints and get rolling again? Or is it going to destroy other parts like your driveshaft/transmission?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts