Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 3rd time the Pass side CV boot has popped off from the wheel side.

I have had Freedom Nissan in Burlington, VT ( My Dealer ) fix it twice so far and it keeps happening. So I have checked with the local dealers by my shop on rt 22 in Jersey and they are all total Dicks! They all want me to pay them for the repair and the crimp ring that holds the boot on.

Of course I call my dealer and they have no problem helping me out as long as I get my X back to their shop.

So now I have to fix it on my own cuz I'm here in NJ / NYC for the next 2 weeks and need to drive the X everyday into the city and I don't want to give the local STealers any of my money.

So my question - What kind of grease do I buy to fill the CV joint with? also is there another type of ring crimp to hold the boot on instead of the Nissan one that keeps popping off?

Thanks for the help

DaveP

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It should just be a synthetic bearing grease.

As for the ring, I have no idea. I assume it siting in a groove which prevents it from popping off, so as long as the new ring isn't wider that that groove, you should be fine with any boot clamp.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Rt 22, where I grew up!

SLR just used a special extra thin screw clamp on my CV boots. They're not available everywhere, but a well-stocked auto parts or hardware store should have them. I'm not sure of the exact measurement. But maybe something along those lines will work.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Digging up and old thread, so i have the PRG Extended half axles and they dont have the same sort of grooves that the stock half axle has. The stock CV clamps just comes off.

I will try to put a hose clamp on to see if i can tighten the seal, any one else face the same issue??

·
on line
2,339 Posts
Don't hose clamp it.
Just put the boot back on the best you can (there is enough grease to last 2 weeks still in there) and use a plastic cable tie to hold the boot on.

It's not actually running any power through it (you are in 2WD, right?)
Lots of cars have split the CV boots and drove around thousands of miles before getting the grease contaminated enough to kill the CV. And those were CV joints that had the full engine power being pushed through them. You don't need to over-engineer the patch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts