Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a custom front bumper built that will wrap around the front fenders and eventually tie into the sliders (also custom, welded to frame). Once finished, it won't be removable.

The basic design takes its inspiration from Maxterra's one-off tube front bumper:

This is a picture of something he did recently that is somewhat similar:

This is a bit of a teaser post. I won't have any decent progress photos until tomorrow. Here is the best I've got so far. They were taken yesterday, really just the winch cradle (for my new Engo ES-9000:headbang:)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Why wrap all the way to the sliders? There's a lot of frame flex between where the bumper mounts to the frame and the center of the frame where the sliders are. In effect, adding those tubes is going to torque the bumper much like a sway bar is torqued when you're on uneven ground. I'd expect a lot of movement of those tubes around the fender area.

I don't know if it would really have any negative effects as far as driving/wheeling, but that bumper is going to be constantly tweaked, which will affect the welds connecting those fender tubes to the bumper. It might be just fine and never crack welds, but then again. Being more rigid isn't necessarily a good thing. Frames are designed to flex so that things don't crack. Just thinking out loud...

·
on line
8,599 Posts
I wouldn't make it permanent.
They make these fancy inserts so you can take it apart.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1389485493.152605.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1389485500.152994.jpg

I thought about connecting my bumper to my sliders as well. But I think it would mostly just be for the cool factor. Those side tubes will not be able to take a decent hit with out a cross brace tube going over your hood, or tube braced to ur frame near the fender wells.

A hard enough hit and those will fold into your fenders.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice work! I see, just like all aftermarket bumpers, yours comes out and around the grill. This makes sense with the the current bucktooth design grills, but with the older style like yours, why not just go directly under and flush with the grill?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He busted his tube bender so I won't get another update until Friday.

He said he trimmed about 3" and is using 1.5" tube, so the new fender height should be about 1.5" above stock. I don't think that's gonna leave enough for a standard snorkel. That's ok though, I don't need to be in water that deep anyway.

We're working on bracing it off the frame as well as tying into the bumper and the sliders. No sure exactly how that's going to work out, but it'll happen.

At one point I was considering getting the Dirt King shock hoop kit and bracing the fenders off the shock hoops. Those hoops have a bar across the engine bay so they'd be super sturdy. Fortunately/unfortunately I stopped myself before going down that rabbit hole. Shock hoops lead to new shocks which lead to Titan swapping.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Looks awesome so far! After looking over all the pictures on his FB page I wish I would have know about this place before to build me a roof rack instead of the epic debacle I'm going through with my Xoskel.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Bumper looks great!

On a sidenote, why again didnt Maxterra start mass producing his front bumper like he does his rear bumpers? Im assuming it wasn't worth it for him?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
He busted his tube bender so I won't get another update until Friday.

He said he trimmed about 3" and is using 1.5" tube, so the new fender height should be about 1.5" above stock. I don't think that's gonna leave enough for a standard snorkel. That's ok though, I don't need to be in water that deep anyway.

We're working on bracing it off the frame as well as tying into the bumper and the sliders. No sure exactly how that's going to work out, but it'll happen.

At one point I was considering getting the Dirt King shock hoop kit and bracing the fenders off the shock hoops. Those hoops have a bar across the engine bay so they'd be super sturdy. Fortunately/unfortunately I stopped myself before going down that rabbit hole. Shock hoops lead to new shocks which lead to Titan swapping.
You should do the shock hoops. Thats a good idea

Than SAS it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should do the shock hoops. Thats a good idea

Than SAS it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
lol, right?

I'm currently running the extended travel Radflos with 1.5" spacers (no lower ball joint issues after 9 months) and the Lokka in the R-180. I am really happy with this setup. I know a TS with 8" coil overs, an M-205, 4:56 gears and an ARB would still provide significant gains, but the cost/benefit just doesn't pan out.

The most I see myself doing is using a longer coilover with the stock width arms to increase up travel.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Bumper looks great!

On a sidenote, why again didnt Maxterra start mass producing his front bumper like he does his rear bumpers? Im assuming it wasn't worth it for him?
I reached out to Maxterra a few weeks ago to inquire on a front bumper and he mentioned that he is backed up with rear bumper orders currently but it sounded like he will eventually get some front bumpers out into the market when he can find the time to design and weld something up. But there is no set time table on when it will happen.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts