Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a local guy build me up a new rear bumper and tire carrier with two 3 gallon Rotopax cans. The guys is on a local Jeep forum and this was his first time working on an Xterra. Now I just need to add my antenna and license plate mount, maybe a locking pin so I can keep my Rotopax cans.

2 gallon cans may have been a better idea, he said he really had to cram them in there and they just barely fit.

He just threw a quick coat of paint, but i'm either going to bedline it or prime and repaint to give a better finish. Maybe also add a teflon plate under the receiver to help slide in and out a little.

Nice thick shackle mounts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You will want the Teflon on the bottom and the back of the plates at the point where it locks. You may also want to get something that holds the arm tighter than just the pin. I hear mine rattle with the locking mechanism on the shrock and it bugs me. That looks like it will rattle a fair bit the way it is. I like the looks of all the rest and you may not mind the noise, but it is something to think about.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is plenty of extra metal around the bolt plus it is sleeved, I guess I could just drill it out or remove the sleeve and install A larger bolt.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I think it looks awesome! It's always nice to see people going w/ local fabricators instead of the large companies. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I would rather my money go local IMO.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Would it be possible to have the gas can nozzles face each other in the middle of the rack? From looking at the pictures it looks like someone could unscrew the cap on the right one when looking at it.

When I mount things outside my vehicle, I try to remove any and all temptation for other people to mess with my stuff when I am not around.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Would it be possible to have the gas can nozzles face each other in the middle of the rack? From looking at the pictures it looks like someone could unscrew the cap on the right one when looking at it.

When I mount things outside my vehicle, I try to remove any and all temptation for other people to mess with my stuff when I am not around.
Yeah.. looks like someone could still siphon the gas out of those cans.
Maybe somehow weld a metal bracket that closes over the top of those cans so the gas cap can't be accessed?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually no rattle at all. As far as turning the cans to face each other, I can but I would have to put a half inch spacer behind one of the mounts. The 3 gallon cans are a lot thicker than the 1 or 2 gallon ones so you can only mount them one way. The one with the nozzle on the outside I am going to paint white and use for water anyway (since they don't make a 3 gal water pack.)

Got my antenna and license plate mounted today.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If it does rattle you could use a short rachet strap through the pin handle and under the swing arm. Or a hose clamp painted or Line-X'd though that would take some time opening and closing. Keep some beefy zip-ties in your truck in case you're in a hurry.

Youncould still lock the swing arm though the strap can still get ripped off. Spray it (over-spray) with spray paint and throw it in a mud puddle. Then it'll look older and nobody will want to steal it!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Really nice build.

Having six gallons is a nice add for sure.

The 4 gallon Roto-pax might be a slimmer option to look at as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts