Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the stock roof rack just wasn't going to support my lofty ideas of ridiculous lighting, so the obvious answer was to build a custom roof rack around the lights right? Not done yet, but here is this week's progress, I will continue to update this.

Materials made it home

A few bends

The magic happening

The mess

The current result

Oh, and its stupid lightweight...

Hold it with one finger kinda lightweight...

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
nice. Looks like a great start. so wish I had the skills to weld aluminum. but I am still a noob when it comes to welding in general.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Looks great so far.

nice. Looks like a great start. so wish I had the skills to weld aluminum. but I am still a noob when it comes to welding in general.
You want to talk about noob, last time I welded I forgot to turn the gas on and couldn't figure out why the weld was so horrible.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

We might have forgot to re-open the valve on the Argon bottle once... That's what grinders are for right? haha

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Nice! I didn't catch the spool gun when I looked at the pictures the first time.

What welder are you using? Is aluminum as hard as most people act like it is to weld?

I just ordered a Hobart Handler 190 w/spoolgun yesterday, that's why I'm asking

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! I didn't catch the spool gun when I looked at the pictures the first time.

What welder are you using? Is aluminum as hard as most people act like it is to weld?

I just ordered a Hobart Handler 190 w/spoolgun yesterday, that's why I'm asking
It's a Millermatic 211. I am re-learning the particulars, I haven't done any welding since high school so my neighbor is doing all the welding on this project. I don't trust myself yet. He doesn't have any problems at all welding Aluminum, I was going to build it out of steel. He talked me into the Aluminum and I am really glad he did! If we build any more of these we are kicking around buying a TIG setup, the welds come out much cleaner.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Are you just hoping to use it as a place to mount lights? Or what are your goals for when it's all said and done ... also, what's the wall thickness on that aluminum?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you just hoping to use it as a place to mount lights? Or what are your goals for when it's all said and done ... also, what's the wall thickness on that aluminum?
Going with a 41.5" light bar in the front, 21.5" light bars on each side and the rear. I have a lot of "ideas" for more but don't know if they will work out. Considered putting an OBA setup in the front portion. Mounts for a Hi-Lift, ax, shovel, etc... It holds more weight than I would be willing to have on my roof so it should hold most of my camping gear. Me and my two buddies (650ish lbs.) took a beer break standing on it and it held up so I am satisfied.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
.120 wall is certainly pretty stout.

Cool ... hope it works out for you, then.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.120 wall is certainly pretty stout.

Cool ... hope it works out for you, then.
This thing is definitely stout, really really glad he talked me into aluminum. I have lifted other racks and this one blew me away. I can put it up there myself.

Nice work! Looking good.
Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
very nice. i am curious to your set up for the light bars. keep it up!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very nice. i am curious to your set up for the light bars. keep it up!
The goal is to have a very clean setup. I will keep this thread updated with the progress. Going to be a lot of rain this week and my weekend full of other BS so I am not sure how far things are going to go. I gotta get it done though, it is keeping me up at night haha

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The goal is to have a very clean setup. I will keep this thread updated with the progress. Going to be a lot of rain this week and my weekend full of other BS so I am not sure how far things are going to go. I gotta get it done though, it is keeping me up at night haha
Put me in for 1st dibs if you make another one. Please!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 169 Posts