Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Gen II Xterras out there with a custom front bumper? Has anyone built a tube bumper? Any pictures?

·
on line
152 Posts
i haven't seen any but there is probably one out there somewhere. and if there isn't, be the first!!!

personally i think a tubular bumper would show to much of the insides (mostly the huge radiator we have) of the X... i would have to add some thin sheet metal with some holes in it to still let plenty of air through to close it up to make me happy. but either way it would be bad ass

·
on line
294 Posts
just cuz its tube, doesnt mean youre gonna see everything,..

and yes, i'm aware they are frontiers, but there's more custom front bumpers on frontiers than ive seen on x's...at least around here

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I'm still thinking.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
team xterra has a custom front bumper on a 2nd gen x. do a search and you can see pics of it.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I like the tubular, pre-runner bumpers as well, like the Calmini for the Fronty. However, after looking at lots of Shrock bumper installs, it looks like there is just too much "stuff" to cover up behind all that factory plastic to make one look good. If it was just in the center, ala radiator, etc, that could be resolved with a big skid plate, but there appears to be lots of bulk under the front fender area, too. Here is an example...

(pirated pic from nalu's one's bumper install thread). But I think a pre-runner bumper would be cool if you could make it look right.

I've been kicking around the idea of fabbing up a custom winch bumper like the Shrock or Calmini. I am actually in the stages of finishing up a custom bumper for my brother's Land Rover right now. I was gonna take my Christmas bonus and get the new Smittybilt winch to fab it around, but I need to replace our other daily driver, so those funds have to go for that now and the bumper is getting put on hold. :(

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Epic228 said:
this is my buddy brians rig and once i get back fronm iraq, he and i will be looking to make something like this for my X. ill trow up some pics once its done (1year from around now). I like the idea of a tube bumper for the X.

·
on line
191 Posts
Tube bumpers actually cover a lot depending on the design you choose. Remember, you can always plate the sides and such so they look legit.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
willgr1 said:
Kahuna said:
Here's a Photoshop mock-up of one of my ideas.

you sir, have stolen my idea!!!...if i only had the $$
i love what that bumper looks like and want to see if i can have shrockworks make me one. after i get enough money of course. man thats gona take forever lol :geek:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I never liked the look of a stinger bumper. There is a reason for them, and when built for function, I accept them, but as far a looks, they never look good.

I would rather have no hoops, but they serve a purpose and I know I would have had to replace a headlight or two by now without them.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Muzikman said:
I never liked the look of a stinger bumper. There is a reason for them, and when built for function, I accept them, but as far a looks, they never look good.
To each his own, as they say. For instance, I think they way you went crazy Herculining your truck is really gross and impractical. Applying a porous surface to something that will be exposed to mud, dirt, etc. But it's your truck and if that makes you happy that's great.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You don't need to get defensive about it. Me personally think that a stinger style bumper is pointless unless actually used for it's intended purpose.

As for my Herculiner, I did it for function, not looks. Sure, it might look like crap, but it does exactly what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts