Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to end up having a local fab shop make some sliders for me. They do a ton of off road stuff and I got good references for them. I asked the shop to make my sliders like the sketch below. They will be welded to the frame. The design has a kicker bend toward the rear to push the truck over and away from any rocks that I'm trying to get by. A buddy of mine has a similar design on his FJ and I like it a lot. It will be wide enough to use as a step as well. I haven't decided on the tube thickness, but most likely it will be 3/16".

Just thought I'd post this and see what you all think.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the design, similar to a lot out there already. What did they quote you for a price?

Think they would do them on the cheap if you get multiple people interested, like a mini-group buy? I'm in the market for sliders and like your design, my folks have a place in Az so pickup would be non-issue for me.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the design, similar to a lot out there already. What did they quote you for a price?

Think they would do them on the cheap if you get multiple people interested, like a mini-group buy? I'm in the market for sliders and like your design, my folks have a place in Az so pickup would be non-issue for me.
PM sent

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I like the concept, too ... is that sketch to scale? Looks a lot like the White-Knuckle offering: http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/nissanxterra.htm ... is there a significant savings going local vs. getting theirs? I would assume shipping at the very least ($90 S&H quoted from the site).

There are two things I note about your sketch, the first is that there's no gusseting of the lateral tubes where they'd be welded into the frame ... seems like most designs I've seen put at least a vertical web there, even if they're going to a bolt-on bracket. Maybe not necessary if the lateral tubes are big enough, though. The other thing I notice (and it's more obvious in comparison to the White-Knuckle pictures) is that the taper you have on the main tube, front and rear, is tapering the opposite direction (bottom to top) from what allows the most coverage of the rocker panels. A top to bottom taper can accommodate the rocker bulge where it bumps out for the wheel, and not leave that portion unprotected (see the photo, here, for a bit of illustration ... one either has to move the main tube several inches outboard or lower it, in order to guard that 'bump' in a straight run) ... that's assuming, of course, that you're intending to get the main tube as close to the rockers as you can (so as to not eat into vertical clearance).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the concept, too ... is that sketch to scale? Looks a lot like the White-Knuckle offering: http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/nissanxterra.htm ... is there a significant savings going local vs. getting theirs? I would assume shipping at the very least ($90 S&H quoted from the site).

There are two things I note about your sketch, the first is that there's no gusseting of the lateral tubes where they'd be welded into the frame ... seems like most designs I've seen put at least a vertical web there, even if they're going to a bolt-on bracket. Maybe not necessary if the lateral tubes are big enough, though. The other thing I notice (and it's more obvious in comparison to the White-Knuckle pictures) is that the taper you have on the main tube, front and rear, is tapering the opposite direction (bottom to top) from what allows the most coverage of the rocker panels. A top to bottom taper can accommodate the rocker bulge where it bumps out for the wheel, and not leave that portion unprotected (see the photo, here, for a bit of illustration ... one either has to move the main tube several inches outboard or lower it, in order to guard that 'bump' in a straight run) ... that's assuming, of course, that you're intending to get the main tube as close to the rockers as you can (so as to not eat into vertical clearance).
Cost is similar to white knuckle. This is a sketch I threw together, it's just to convey the concept. It's not to scale. Gusseting, actual end tapers, frame mounting plates, etc. are all variables and will likely change the final design.

The whole point of going to this particular local fab shop is to have them build exactly what I want and have them weld it on. I do not want a bolt on or have to drill the frame. I won't have to pay shipping, but will have sales tax, which is less than half the shipping costs. They're also going to look at doing some skids, per my suggestions as well. Plus, there's a very short lead time. I hate waiting for parts and want to support local businesses.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Sound logic ... I look forward to the final design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts