Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is his msg " We can modify your slip yoke on the rear driveline to take a 1310 or 1350 cv this should cure the vibration we will need your driveline to do this. " is this safe having two cv joints? I know it makes sense because they will work with each other to be vibration free but has any1 gone that route? Ive seen only ujoint styles on here
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
22,508 Posts
1310s and 1350s are u-joints. When they refer to a 1310 or 1350 cv they are referring to 2 u-joints in close proximity at the front as a double cardian. They are not referring to a cv like what we have stock at the rear diff. Please see this for a reference: http://www.4xshaft.com/1350_series_cv.html

Yes it's safe, and yes many have run them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
What was the question you submitted to JE Reel?

There's not a lot of info in your post, can you be more detailed in your question?

I highly suspect that the type of setup that's being suggested to you is a double u-joint CV, this is not the same thing as you might be thinking of a typical ball in socket CV ... it's very commonly done and is sometimes also known as a double-cardan joint. You will wind up with a joint that has two u-joints back to back at the slip yoke going into the t-case, and another single u-joint at the flange attaching to the diff.

It's better able to handle angular mismatch than the stock setup, which puts a single u-joint at the t-case and a booted CV (IIRC a ball in socket type, but don't quote me on it) at the diff flange.

ETA: Surf beat me to it. You'll be fine ... JE Reel knows their chit, as does Tom Woods; as do other drive line shops. Give them good info about what you're looking to do, and what's lacking in your current setup, and they'll easily get you sorted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a custom driveshaft one ujoint up front and a hybrid 1310/1330 rear on a custom pinion flange. No vibes
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,149 Posts
He did mine and unfortunately i wasnt happy. He modified my slip yoke but according to another driveline shop who had to rebuild my broken DS, JE's welds were cheap looking. Reel built a double cardan up front and added a u joint on the bottom part. I was told this was not ideal with our trucks. He should have just put one u joint up top and one down below as both will cancel each other out. I basically have 3. 1 may have vibes, 2 cancels it, and 3 recreates it, thus giving me vibes still. Id say the vibes are toned down a bit but they are still there. More like a hum than anything.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I guess more than anything i wish they did the welds better. Im no weld expert but when i say them i was like wow. With all thier advertising for jeeps and what not i expected better quality. I had mine done years ago and so far ive had to replace teh joints twice. One for the DS going kaboom and the other cause he used cheapie greaseable spicer joints. I now have solid stronger spicers in there. Hope this last alot longer.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Tom woods did mine. I love it. 315 shipped to my door. CV double cardan style joint up top and a single u joint at the end. The 3rd u joint does not cause any vibes because my rear axle is angled so that that is no angle between it and the DS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts