Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard things about how easy is it to put these 4cyl Diesels from Cummins into basically anything. Guy put em in jeeps all the time, they're manual injected, so there's no computer stuff to work around. Was just wondering if anybody had any info on anything that's been done along these lines in the Xterra!

http://www.evolutionmachine.com/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-5962-0-86145500-1310924833_thumb.jpg

that's in a toyota pickup so I think there'd be anough room in our engine bay for it. could be interesting to pick up an X with a destroyed engine for cheap and do this... also the mileage numbers would be nice

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think about 115 hp and like 320 ft pounds.... not sure if that's enough...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think thats about what the world version of the frontier has for its diesel 4 cyl.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,113 Posts
those numbers are pretty good, a turbo charger could be added on pretty easy if you want some more power. The only engine swaps I can think of is the titan engine swapped X I can't remember what company it was that built it though. I dont think a diesel has been tried, atleast not on a 2nd gen

·
Registered
489 Posts
we do better w the 40 and a couple mods. Maybe a little better torque, but overall, would this be worth it?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would be about low end torque for crawling, and then what comes with low end torque and a diesel, mileage

·
Registered
698 Posts
Frame concerns can be addressed. If you were going to put a 4BT in an Xterra, then SAS'in it along with a whole new front clip and additional frame reinforcement should not be a huge concern.

The idea has crossed my mind before. Ton of work but the payoff could be enormous.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have an old ford ranger and i've looked at doing a diesel swap. the biggest hurdle is usually the govt. regs. in many locales it must be from a newer year vehicle in the same weight class. the 4bt isn't available in the xterra weight class. most folks doing the 4bt swaps for jeeps are building crawlers. the 4bt won't comfortably cruise high rpm highway speed, so consider that.

beyond that you hit the technical issues that you'll need to rebuild your entire drivetrain, suspension, computer, motor mounts, etc. some consider this a bonus.

personally, i got another 2 years smog pass from calihaha. i'm guessing that the new high-pressure turbo engines we're starting to see for US emissions will be more plentiful in about 5 years, and a better option for swapping.

-SM-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts