Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Had my fuse block and relay assembly out while troubleshooting a bad relay. Figured I'd post a pic. Mines mounted above kick panel on driver's side. With that pesky 3rd pedal it's easier just to pull the whole thing out when working on it.... The oddball relay agitates my OCD but oh well.

·
TNX Veteran
4,877 Posts
Haven't been too active on here lately. Figured I'd post something. Snapped this cool shot yesterday while shuttling local bike trails. Rain and fog tends to be rare around here in late spring. Been taking good advantage.
Are your second pair of fog lights not wired on the same circuit as your first pair?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Received and installed a LoMo2 rack today. Very impressed with it so far. Started tossing things up there to see what fits. Looks like I'll be able to fit all my recovery gear, tie downs, tool kit and more (not all pictured of course). Need to get some more molle bags and some quickfist clamps to keep everything tidy.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Received and installed a LoMo2 rack today
Score one for the USPS! You got it faster than they promised.

Glad you like it. Looks like you had no trouble with assembly. I think I see you've got that barrier net bungied along the front to hold up the middle, am I seeing that right? I never thought to do that... :grin:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Received and installed a LoMo2 rack today
Score one for the USPS! You got it faster than they promised.

Glad you like it. Looks like you had no trouble with assembly. I think I see you've got that barrier net bungied along the front to hold up the middle, am I seeing that right? I never thought to do that... <a href="http://thenewx.org/forum/images/TheNewX_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:)</a>
Yeah I was very surprised when it arrived a day early. Kudos on the design of this! And the packaging. Box was pretty ripped up but no issues with the contents.

Yeah I temporarily bungied the the net across the front. That net used the side roof hooks which are now gone. So it's all floppy. It'll work for now until my dog discovered she can push it around. Tossing around the ideas like adding a couple small eye hooks to the forward end of the hinge assemblies to connect to again. Or a whole new net thats secured well to the front of the basket.

Also need to sort out how to hold fishing rods with this. Thats the only thing I carry inside that I don't have a plan for yet with this basket.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I like that idea. Looks like a second receiver tube on the swing arm. That would maybe solve the tire vs bike rack problem, having the tire mount removable like that. Maybe make it possible to have a bike rack on while towing a trailer too.

Would that folding table be on all the time? Purpose being a table, or more of a cargo tray?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I like that idea. Looks like a second receiver tube on the swing arm. That would maybe solve the tire vs bike rack problem, having the tire mount removable like that. Maybe make it possible to have a bike rack on while towing a trailer too.

Would that folding table be on all the time? Purpose being a table, or more of a cargo tray?
Yeah the 2nd receiver in the swing arm would be primarily for my bike rack, which is almost always on my rig. I really want to be able to swing the bikes out and access the rear hatch without unloading them. But want to be able to carry a tire at times too. I've definitely wished I could have my bike rack while towing our teardrop too. I think clearance of the trailer would be questionable but definitely a possibility with maybe a mildly extended drop hitch.

My thoughts on the tray would be to use clevis pins on the hinges so it could easily be removed if desired. I'd likely use the tray for both cargo and as a camping table at times. I'm actually trying to suss out a way for it to flip down in both directions. So that its usable as a table to the inside while the swing is open and tire or bikes are on board.

I'm actually working on getting the bumper and plain swing w/ 2nd receiver made. Waiting on a quote now. Been bouncing ideas around here and there with @AlbatrossCafe too. I'd build the tire attachment and basket myself though. I got the tooling and ability for those bits, but not ready(skill and tooling wise) to build my own full bumper yet.

·
TNX Veteran
4,877 Posts
Hell yeah! That looks like a great design so far! The removable tire would be legit. Personally, since I off-road with the bike rack, so I would not feel comfortable with one or the other but it definitely would be more convenient for carrying the bike rack 90% of the time.

Maybe your tire carrier attachment could have a pass-through receiver (kind of like the Wilco tire swingouts) so that you can stick a rack in addition to it. But at some point you start putting a lot of weight at a weird Z-axis angle on the swingarm, so idk

Bumper Automotive exterior Trailer Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hell yeah! That looks like a great design so far! The removable tire would be legit. Personally, since I off-road with the bike rack, so I would not feel comfortable with one or the other but it definitely would be more convenient for carrying the bike rack 90% of the time.

Maybe your tire carrier attachment could have a pass-through receiver (kind of like the Wilco tire swingouts) so that you can stick a rack in addition to it. But at some point you start putting a lot of weight at a weird Z-axis angle on the swingarm, so idk

View attachment 104554
A pass through on the tire attachment is a good idea. Definitely would add some twisting though. I suspect when the time comes to start moching stuff up, I'll figure whats doable. For now I'm on 285s and can still use the stock spare location. But I'm constantly considering bigger tires so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
yes custom grill. Cut the plastic grate material out and replaced with expanded metal. Turned out really well.
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/30-xterra-projects/214114-expanded-metal-grill-instert.html
^thanks for this. any chance you could snap a shot of the back of your grill sometime? appreciated.
towards the end of that thread there are a few photos of the backside showing the lower custom bracket. What exactly are you trying to see?

81 - 100 of 139 Posts