Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed my radiator cap gets white crusty coolant around it. I cleaned it up, but it crusted up again pretty quick.

No coolant issues. Coolant looks perfect. No over heating. Heater works great. No signs of leaking when hot.

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your cap is leaking. Get a new one for the rad and tank. OEM ones are cheap and the best.
I figured it was that simple, I just can’t actually ever see any leak when it’s hot and running.

I guess I’ll order a new OEM cap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It’s just enough of a slow pressure leak that it don’t totally affect the cooling aspect but is just enough to squeeze out and leave residue

·
on line
2,243 Posts
The rubber gasket is aging. Replace the cap.
While that looks like a lot of residue, it is maybe an ounce over time.

Be sure to get the correct cap, no spring. Don't be alarmed by not seeing coolant when you remove the cap, that is normal and how this cooling system works. just keep the coolant bottle above the MIN mark and you are good.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone had any luck with anything other than OEM?
After shipping a new OE cap is ~$25.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
800 Posts
Anyone had any luck with anything other than OEM?
After shipping a new OE cap is ~$25.
Dealer nearby?

You can try cleaning the old seal first. Rubbing alcohol, vinegar, or windex. Then water. Let it dry completely.
To finish, use a TINY bit of silicone grease to refresh the rubber. Make absolutely certain that after you work it into the seal to clear away ALL left over.
In the past I’ve also bent the tabs a bit to tighten the closure.

This is a temporary 50/50 fix at best, fyi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts