Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed the oil on my X twice. Everything works out, and no leak. But, I've read here that you should change the crush washer every time. I bought a few extra ones but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove the old one. Please help. Thanks.

·
on line
807 Posts
You can probably just pry it off the bolt with a small flat-head or something. I have 38k miles on my truck, and I think the only time I ever changed it was on my very first oil change. I've never had any leaks.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Grab it with a pair of pliers and screw it off. The center hole will actually be smaller than the outside of the threads.

·
on line
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I will try it on the next oil change. I think if you don't over-tighten the drain plug, the washer should last a few oil change. Thanks again.

·
on line
34 Posts
Where do you buy the crush washer? Do you get it at any auto parts place? What size is needed? I just changed my oil Saturday, but just put the washer that was there back on. I figured I could change out next time if needed.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Dealer. They are like $0.50 each.

You can probably go a long time without changing them, but I figure for the 50 cents that they cost (and yournissanparts.com use to send them free with oil filter purchase) I just change them at each oil change.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I change mine every time. I just pry it loose with a small screwdriver and once it's over the first few threads, I just spin it off (unscrew it basically)

·
on line
3 Posts
Does someone know the size of the crush washer? I would like to change me oil tomorrow, and the dealer is closed on the weekends, so I am going to go to autozone or a similar store.

PS. If anyone has info for the other washers/gaskets for changing transmission fluid and, and differentials that would also help. Thank you.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
One of my copper crush washers was bonded to the head of the oil plug on my first xterra. Had to take an old knife to peel it back enough to be able to spin it off. First oil change on this '09 was done at the dealer (free) and I know for a fact they didn't change the crush washer.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
i went 100,000 miles without ever changing the washer... i did have a couple dealership oil changes... who knows if they replaced them....

i purchased some along with the magnetic nut from courtesyparts.com

·
on line
1,638 Posts
5 years of oil changes with the same washer here not a single drop leaked. No longer an issue now with the fumoto valve installed on the last oil change.

·
on line
410 Posts
Since this came up again: I'm now at 70K miles with the original crush washer. No leaks. The key is to only tighten to the factory specs. If you overtighten, you could deform the washer, and you may have leaks.
The idea of a crush washer is to deform it, with minimal torque on the plug.

Most people will never have any problems using the old washer over and over again. Others will try to compensate by adding more torque, sometime stripping the oil pan threads (typical 20 minutes oil change place...)

Like many other things, oil and filters, you don't "have" to change it. It's just a good idea and the "official" way of doing it.

·
on line
386 Posts
I never replace crush washers. I just put a small amount of rtv on the face of the washer before I reinstall the plug. I have never had any leaks.

·
on line
118 Posts
just an fyi the crush washer for the oil drain plug is the same crush washer for the transmission drain plug.

The aluminum washers for the front diff and transfer case are also the same part. There are 2 each (drain and fill). The rear diff just uses RTV sealant.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
NO Crush washer on mine.. Due to Human error of Being attacked with big rock on oil pan. Hard to find Crush washer let alone ANY oil of proper weight.

Laying in a puddle of slush.. Removed drain plug, Crush wash was toast Gone in the slush.. Dab little Silicone on the threads. screwed back in. Re-attach oil pan. Fill with oil. drive 8 hours home. To date.. NO LEAKS!!. But I am due for oil change..

Not sure If crush washer is just a Fancy dohickie for city folks or what?. my older vehicles never used one. Never leaked either.

OOp's slight drift from thread.. I get spooked with anything to do with oil pans. :)

·
on line
437 Posts
The Copper crush washer can be reconditioned and reused. Heat it until it is cherry red and then let it air cool, this softens the copper so it will crush down and seal again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts