Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive finnally gotten to the point where this noise happens almost every time i drive..

Whenever i drive over a bump, you hear a squeak from the front suspension (im assuming) and whenever you go around a turn you hear a fairly muffled crunching sound. It sounds like its in tune with the suspension compressing/uncompressing.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking? I've taken it to the dealer and they said it was just a hood squeak (which they said they fixed, and it came back with the same noise) I plan on taking it back, I'd just like to have an idea of what direction i can point them in.

·
on line
58 Posts
i have had a similar squeak in the hood.... i think its the latch but no crunching.... i used some lithium grease and it hasnt come back in a couple of weeks....

·
on line
516 Posts
I had a defective front-left strut that was recently replaced by the dealer (under warrantee).

I used to hear the squeak whenever the front-left wheel went over potholes or sometimes if I drove off the curb at the gas station (no need for curbside ramp).

After the squeaking problem developed, I later started to feel vibrations on the clutch peddal (which was accompanied by a wierd faint rattle sound ... like empty cans of paint banging).

They did give me two wrong explaniations of what caused the problem at first (at least 5 trips to two different dealers);

...1) claiming a warped clutch caused the rattle. So I said if this is true why does it only happen on bumpy roads and never on smooth pavement?
They argued that it did happen on smooth roads too. So I did another test drive with the mechanic behind the wheel. Needless to say it never happened on smooth roads.

...2) said the the transmission needed to be replaced. when I asked for specifics - there was none. They didn't even look.

When they replaced my front struts the squeak went away.

I plan to return to the dealer for the clutch rattle/vibration; which is less now but not completely gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts