Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
************ See last post. New problem. Resurected thread for original info************

I recently purchased my 05 xterra and everything was awesome except for the fact that the cruise control doesn't work.

Before I get the obligatory reaming for not searching, I assure you that I have extensively searched and nothing has turned up.

I am to the point where I am about to drop the thing at the dealer and let them sort it out but am hoping someone else has had this experience.

On my X, I have the steering wheel controls, and it is a 6spd.

My issue: When I press the cruise button on the steering wheel the cruise light simply just does not illuminate. I have checked my neutral safety switch, the clutch switch, and the brake switch. All have no issues.. I have seen thread after thread about how the set will not work or the cruise light on the dash flashes but I have nothing at all. No flashing, no lights, nothing.

Any brainstorming or ideas are welcome here. I am lost on this one. :angry5:

·
Registered
287 Posts
you checked all of the switches under the dash, but did you check the switch in the steering wheel? after that and the fuse panel I would say that there really isn't much you would really be able to do to figure it out without hooking it up to a diagnostic computer.....:(

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Do the radio or Bluetooth controls work? I realize you can't test the other cruise functions if it won't engage, but it could be possible that your clock-spring cable (that connects all the steering wheel controls with the body harness in the column, and allows the wheel to rotate) is bad ... or that one of the connections at either end is bad ... could be worth at lest just running down the plugs to give that a check, especially on an '05.

·
on line
951 Posts
If it doesn't light up, I would look at that switch, 1st. I've seen them go bad. There is also the clock spring to look at.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info here. I will check the clock spring and connectors hopefully in the morning.

I am interested in checking the switch itself but dont have any idea as to what it should be doing. Im guessing I should see some continuity at the plug after the clock spring (after checking it of course) if it is working properly but dont have a clue which wires to check or even where the plug can be located. Do any of you have a checkout procedure?

Also to add to this, I checked fuse block and assumed there was no direct cruise or steering wheel fuse to be checked other than the horn which does work. Is there another I should check??

My steering wheel only has cruise controls. I unfortunately do not have the radio controls on my wheel. No way to check it that way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
To help you check the steering wheel switches, this is the schematic :

The values you are supposed to have at the ECU

And the pins numbers for the ECU connectors.

If you need more info, just ask and we'll try to help you

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aweome! This will be a huge help. I'm headed to the my shop now. I'll let everyone know what I find out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks to be the clock spring .... Any how to's on this job?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Thank you so much. Just my luck to end up with the biggest PITA. :haha:

Im hoping to get this fixed in the next weekend or so. You guys just make it easy.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
So is it the clockspring? If it's the switch itself I have a spare you can have just pay the shipping. It works as it came off my X before I swapped to a leather wheel.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not getting any continuity through it unless I tested it wrong. My buttons on it are worn and shiney. Couldn't hurt to replace it if yours is in good shape?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess my X doesn't want to have cruise.. It worked until last week after the clock spring replacement. I started diagnosing the issue and found that I have several thousand ohms of resistance from the pin under the airbag(black ground wire from controls) to the pin at the ECM (ground side pin 67).

My question is: Can I just use a chassis ground for the ground side of the cruise or is that wire to the ECU for a reason?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts