Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone encounter railroad tracks when off roading and cross them? Where I live I'm surrounded by railroad tracks in the woods. Some active some inactive. Some have broken railroad ties between the tracks that quads use to get over and I use them to get over in X as well. There's some spots however that don't have anything between the tracks and I'm wondering what your experience is in crossing them. I'm 2" suspension lifted on 33's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Very rarely out here, but I would say always use caution to stop, roll down the windows, and look/listen before crossing. Is that what you are asking? :dontknow: If your other part of the question is about how to cross, if there is no build up, always try to cross at a 45 degree angle, not 90 degree.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Look both ways?

We see a lot of RR tracks out in the desert here in SoCal, just cross carefully.

Airing down helps.

I haven't experienced a wheel base issue going across, and with a 2" lift and 33's you will be just fine.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
yea agree with the look both ways, and try to cross at an angle that allows only one tire to hit the tracks at a time, trying to get 2 tires over the rails can be a little difficult. hopefully the tracks you have to cross are not on a high gravel bed because that makes it more of a pain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha that pic is hilarious! Thanks guys. Looking both ways is not an issue. Just wanted to see how many members deal with tracks when roading and how they deal with them. A lot of good trails around me unfortunately require railroad crossing. Gravel beds on the sides of the tracks are the worst. If you don't hit the track (like you said) one wheel at a time, you can get hung up by digging the gravel out underneath your wheels. I'm aired down when I cross but the only time I've been crossing is when there's some old broken railroad ties between the tracks that the quad riders put down. (Don't worry the train goes over them just fine and they're never removed) But since I got 33's and 2" suspension lift, I'm wondering if I will have any problem crossing tracks (aired down) without any debris in the middle. If so, that would open up a lot more trails for me.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Haha that pic is hilarious! Thanks guys. Looking both ways is not an issue. Just wanted to see how many members deal with tracks when roading and how they deal with them. A lot of good trails around me unfortunately require railroad crossing. Gravel beds on the sides of the tracks are the worst. If you don't hit the track (like you said) one wheel at a time, you can get hung up by digging the gravel out underneath your wheels. I'm aired down when I cross but the only time I've been crossing is when there's some old broken railroad ties between the tracks that the quad riders put down. (Don't worry the train goes over them just fine and they're never removed) But since I got 33's and 2" suspension lift, I'm wondering if I will have any problem crossing tracks (aired down) without any debris in the middle. If so, that would open up a lot more trails for me.

You shouldn't have an issue...hopefully you aren't traveling alone (strap recovery if necessary), or carry a Hi Lift jack that could "lift and stack" you out of trouble (hopefully on an inactive line :) ) if need be.

Agree with Knightrider, as the incline approach on the gravel rail bed combined with the necessary momentum not to dig in...is the sweet spot of achievability.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I do a lot of work on and around railroad tracks, and can tell you from experience that if you are crossing tracks where there is no crossing, to get out and check where you are going to cross, first.

You wouldn't believe how many tires I've had to buy because my guys ruined them on spikes and other (usually steel) debris on railroad tracks. Raised spikes are about the worst offenders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts