Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to adjust my roof rack crossbar span last weekend, and on each xbar, 1 of the inserts just spun in the plastic clamp housing. Luckily, the other insert on each xbar broke loose, and I was able to take half the clamp off, and remove the xbar completely.

Showing them to my local dealer, they ordered new xbars under warranty. I think the brass insert and the bolt corroded, but I adjust them a couple times a year, and my x is garaged. I will probably put some grease or antiseeze on the new bolt threads.

Unfortunately, the dealer said I have to turn in my old bars - I was wishing to keep them as a spare, and maybe make a removable light bar or rack with them.

mitt

·
on line
463 Posts
I didn't need that much of an excuse But, if you read my How-To, this, too, was a problem for mine as well.
Yaaaa ! Nissan !

·
on line
355 Posts
WHOA. I just made this topic on Clubxterra.

I had to drill my bolts out to get it off. sucks.

·
on line
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
burnout said:

I think you could have taken out the 2 smaller bolts connecting the clamps to the crossbars, removed the crossbar, then pulled the clamps off. Once off, I think you could drill 2 small holes into the insert, then hold it with a eclip tool, and try to turn the bolt out?

After talking to the service guy, I am supposed to check in and see if he had to send the racks to nissan - if not, he might throw them away at the same time I am looking in their dumpster :) It is stupid to throw away the old racks when I could just change the insert to a long standoff or something, and still use them.

mitt

·
on line
355 Posts
true. I just hammered out the nut insert. Now I could use a regular bolt and nut. Course it would look like crap..

·
on line
355 Posts
mitt said:
burnout said:

I think you could have taken out the 2 smaller bolts connecting the clamps to the crossbars, removed the crossbar, then pulled the clamps off. Once off, I think you could drill 2 small holes into the insert, then hold it with a eclip tool, and try to turn the bolt out?

After talking to the service guy, I am supposed to check in and see if he had to send the racks to nissan - if not, he might throw them away at the same time I am looking in their dumpster :) It is stupid to throw away the old racks when I could just change the insert to a long standoff or something, and still use them.

mitt
The bar goes inside those ends. I dont see how removing the 2 bolts in end would have helped anything.

·
on line
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
burnout said:
burnout said:
The bar goes inside those ends. I dont see how removing the 2 bolts in end would have helped anything.
I took another look at the bars and you are right. Other than finding a way to hold the insert below, drilling is required.

mitt

·
on line
355 Posts
I run mine without crossbars for now, its way easier to wash teh roof anyway. I'll probably never put things on the roof anyway. Its a big vehicle as it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts