Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wanted to start out by saying hello :hello2: this is my first post here. I'm planning a cross country move sometime around the end of May/beginning of June from Connecticut to Colorado. Im leaning towards towing a 12x6 uhaul and after reading other post on here about such trips im pretty confident my X will handle the trailer nicely. Heres where my question(s) come in. What maintenance should i do before i depart? Its a 2006 4wd X manual with 79,000 on the odometer. I bought the truck with 58xxx on it and since then have only done regular oil changes and the air filter. I do not have maintenance records before then. I will be doing the brakes before i go...should i change the brake fluid or will it be alright? I was thinking of maybe doing a coolant flush and changing the plugs out as well. aside from this anything I'm missing? And just how bad is it doing the plugs? Any feedback would be awesome...would also like to hear from guys who have done such a move on what they did to prep the X before the journey? thanks dudes.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I only had 3k km on my rig when I moved so I didn't do anything. But I would check your tires over good. You might have a screw in it that you dont know about. Check the spare tire. New air filter , oil change, make sure you have extra washer fluid with Ya. Drive slow and steady. Pack lunches and water. Check all your belts / hoses. And check in everyday here so we can follow your trip. And take lots of pictures

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Welcome from Colorado!!! What part of the state are you moving to? We have a great club that we recently started here called NORAC (Nissan Off Road Association of Colorado). Good luck on the cross country trip, Blaze just towed a uhaul with his x from FL back to Colo Springs, give him a PM..
Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey bill were actually looking right around the colorado springs area more specifically the woodland park area. Were going to be flying out in a week to scope it out look for a place and see what the job situation is like out that way. I will look you guys up for sure when we get out there for good. where do you guys usually have meets and whats the trail situation like out there?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey bill were actually looking right around the colorado springs area more specifically the woodland park area. Were going to be flying out in a week to scope it out look for a place and see what the job situation is like out that way. I will look you guys up for sure when we get out there for good. where do you guys usually have meets and whats the trail situation like out there?
Hey there,
The CSprings area has quite a bit to offer, personally I like the Woodland Park area and if you went a little further North check out Castke Rock. When we do meet n greets we try to split the difference for everyone and meetup in South Denver or Castle Rock. We are very lucky on the trail side of things here in CO, we have lots of variety and amazing views to say the least. We have everything from Shelf Roads climbing a 14er to wide open valleys, if you end up in the springs area there's a lot of trails within about an 1hr to 1.5hrs of you. We've got roughly 8 to 10 members in the Castle Rock and CSprings area. The majority of us live in the Denver/Boulder area. Hope this helps and let us know when your coming out to check the area out
Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow sounds like you guys got it going on out there! Were going to be flying out friday the 31st getting there around 8 and were leaving the following thursday. Were trying to figure out something to do for the superbowl and thing to do in general...let me know if anything going on or if you or some of the other member wouldnt mind sowing is around or doing some of this :drink: one night. -Dennis-

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only modification I see guys do for towing is the ext trans cooler, and sometimes helper springs. Unless it ends up being around 4000-4500 pounds, you should be fine without it from what i've read. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in on when you need to mod for towing. The Xterra is a very reliable vehicle, and most guys who do cross country trips end up with 0 break downs. Good luck with your Move!

·
on line
1,449 Posts
Hi Dennis.

Got your pm. I'll hit ya up later this evening with details on our move towing the 6 x 12 UHaul trailer with my X.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I am going to drive from Texas to Wyoming and back in June.

Here is what i have done / am doing.

New tires
Transmission Flush
Brake fluid flush
power steering flush
coolant flush
drain and refill both diffs
drain and fill transfer case
new belt
inspect brake pads
check for leaks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks blaze! How many Miles on your x satown? ive got a brand new rear diff well it was new has 20000 on it now so i think that will be good ill have to look into changing the fluid in the front though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought my Xterra with 90,000 miles on it. About a month later took it on a 3500 mile trip across Colorado and Utah with a good amount of off roading while there. I changed the engine oil, front rear and center diffs. Ran like a champ.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I would do all the fluids per the manual. If you don't know they have all been serviced to this point, then do them all - diffs, trans, transfer, coolant.

Make sure your tires are good.

Check the brakes. Mine have 135K on them and their still good.

I would do something with the rear leafs at that point whether I was towing or not, but I am assuming you will be adding a bunch of weight. The cheapest and easiest is the Hellwig's - search here for the threads. I have them and they look pretty getto but they do the job. I will do a AAL eventually.

Really however you shouldn't have any issues.

80K is about time to do the plugs. I waited to 100 but wouldn't again. I did mine without removing the intake with no issue, but I have small hands. Lots of threads here on how to do it. Having said that, if you wanted to wait until after your trip I doubt you would have an issue. They will still fire, their just not as efficient at 80K.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I highly recommend air helper springs for the back of your X, especially if you have stock leafs. It will significantly improve your handling qualities with a trailer that big. Also, make sure to load the trailer slightly toward the front, but watch getting it TOO far forward. Tongue weights can easily exceed the 500 pound limit if you load ALL your heavy stuff forward in the trailer. Hopefully you get a decent U-HAUL trailer for your move. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Hopefully you get a decent U-HAUL trailer for your move. Good luck!
This!

I have had some junk from Uhaul that was barely a collection of scrap metal with roundish wheels and tires.

However, one of my last rentals was a brand new trailer.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
U-HAUL is replacing a lot of their stuff, so if it's one of the new ones that people haven't messed with, it should do OK. My biggest nit is they only have surge brakes, and I'm not sure how well those work. I have electric brakes on my cargo trailer, and they have saved me from an accident at least once.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have moved a few times, both local and long distance, and U-Haul screwed me each and every time except for once. The locations are franchises and care nothing about the equipment. The reservation means nothing. If you don't believe me google uhaul sucks.

However I think they might be the only ones that rent trailers - the others only rent trucks I believe. I would pay a few extra bucks and pick the thing up one or two days before you really need it. That way if its not there or its a POS you have some options. Trust me - I speak from experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts