Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 100 miles after installing my 2" body lift I now experience a creaking noise emanating from my rag joint under the steering column when I turn about 15 degrees to the left.
I have already loosened the 14mm bolt on the rag joint and moved the steering wheel back and forth, but there is a blue plastic clip that appears to be binding the rag joint against the steering shaft slightly.
Pic of what I'm talking about:

Do I need to remove this? Just lube the joint? Extend the steering shaft? Thanks for any help.

·
on line
7,135 Posts
Did you loosen the lower bolt and turn your wheel back and forth or did you loosen the rag joint bolts which is wrong

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I loosened the bolt immediately above the blue plastic in the above photo. You can see how much it separated by that beige mark on the plastic from the mark on the metal - about an inch. I've just never seen anyone reference that blue plastic when talking about doing the body lift and am not sure if it is contributing to my problems.

·
on line
7,135 Posts
did you loosen it and turn the wheel 6 times in each direction?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I turned the wheel back and forth a number of times. Again, I feel like the blue plastic is stopping the shaft from slipping any further.

·
on line
7,135 Posts
The blue plastic thing is just a shield. You should have no binding now. Have you test driven it.?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I just re did it, loosened the 14mm nut, turned the wheel both directions six times. Tightened nut back up. Turning to the left still results in a creak at 15 degrees. Fairly certain the creak is from the metal of the rag joint bending more than normal.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
When I did my BL I didn't touch that at all... Just the 14mm on the steering shaft in the engine compartment.
Agreed, there should be no reason to mess with the bolt in the pic. It's the one under the hood that is effected by the change in the body being higher of the the frame. That's the one to loosen.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
7,135 Posts
Actually it's pretty common. A Nissan tech suggested doing this after a B/L that was causing the steering to bind up slightly. 6/6 for the B/L's I had my hands on. Mario had a b/l done and it was binding and creaking. 1 loosened bolt and a few turns and he was a happy camper. He was about to undo his lift until I fixed it for him

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the extension from 4x4parts and am going to install that this weekend, hoping it will magically resolve the issue.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Actually it's pretty common. A Nissan tech suggested doing this after a B/L that was causing the steering to bind up slightly. 6/6 for the B/L's I had my hands on. Mario had a b/l done and it was binding and creaking. 1 loosened bolt and a few turns and he was a happy camper. He was about to undo his lift until I fixed it for him
Same issue has happened with mine. When you loosen the bolt, do you really loosen it, or do you just loosen it slightly?

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i can't get that freaking bolt to loosen up. i've cranked on it too. almost to the point that I'm worried about breaking the joint. It only really creaks/binds when it's above 90 degrees out. odd, i know...

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I did my body lift I loosened the bolt under the hood AND the one under the dash (not at the same time though). When I loosened the bolt under the hood I still got really bad binding, so I loosened the one under the dash as well and that gave me enough play and eliminated my binding. Though I didn't get any creaking.

Sometimes you can get a small binding issue that you can't really notice, only when you turn to full lock. I had a small bind that I couldn't feel when turning but if i went to full lock my steering wheel would "stick" when I loosened said bolts, it went away.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i aslo just noticed that the shaft isn't centered in the black accordion boot where it passes through the firewall, it seems like you may have to loosen the LOWER bolt that is connecting the shaft to the pinion on your rack. I also had to raise that up a little by loosening and turning the steering wheel a couple times.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I believe I got it resolved. I wasn't loosening the bolt enough. This time I loosened it until it was freely spinning, then did the 6/6 as bucksnort suggested and tightened it back up. Test drove it around the block and it felt like stock again. I'll get the final results tomorrow after driving to work.

·
Registered
848 Posts
For those coming in after this experience: You should have loosened this bolt (driver's side front wheel well) before your BL install.

..this pic is post install, but it should get you the general area:

This is the bolt you need to loosen (Inside, under the driver's side dash...right above the blue plastic thing), do the 6/6 steering wheel turn, then tighten back up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts