Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we explored a little more in the Blair Valley area and then headed out to the old rail stop at Dos Cabezas.

Lots of interesting vegetation in Blair Valley.

The writer Marshall South and his family lived on the top of Ghost Mountain for 16 years, starting in 1932. There is a sign board at the parking area, at the start of the very steep 1-mile hike up to the home site. Apparently they brought in supplies from Julian in a Model T to about where the parking area is now, then went on foot the rest of the way. Must have been a long and difficult task. The sign mentions that after 16 years his wife finally had enough of his eccentric lifestyle and they all left. After doing that hike up to the home site I'm surprised she did not leave right away. The views are spectacular though.

Looking down on the parking area from the top of Ghost Mountain. If you look really close you can see 2 Xterras in the center of the frame.

The adobe walls are almost all gone, but there is still a lot of stuff up there, including an interesting system of cisterns and water tanks.

And even an old bed.

If the notch just to the left of the shadow is Noon the sundial is pretty accurate (12:30).

Looking down towards Hwy S-2 heading southeast.

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Blair Valley and Ghost Mountain we continued southeast on Hwy S-2 until Mortero Wash, taking that out to the Dos Cabazas rail stop, on the old SD & AE Rail line. The line took 12 years to build, and was completed in 1919.

These cars look a bit newer.

We followed Dos Cabezas Road along the rail line south and east to S-2. There were several fun very soft sand spots along the way.

End of the trail, time to head through the scenic town of Ocotillo and on to I-8 and home.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Great stuff Frank. Thank you for sharing. Any chance of getting in those cars to see what was inside?

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Wow great Stuff guys. I wish you would invite me when you go on your little photo tours. Photography is my passion and my X is my #1 hobby. Hey Frank is your antenna attached to your Loadwarrior???????

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XterraDude said:
Wow great Stuff guys. I wish you would invite me when you go on your little photo tours. Photography is my passion and my X is my #1 hobby. Hey Frank is your antenna attached to your Loadwarrior???????
Jake, you are always welcome to come along. These last 2 trips with PacificaX were both kind of last minute things. Send me your email and phone so I can include you in the future. We are planning a lot more explorations of historical and scenic areas for this winter, in addition to the SCCX runs.

The CB antenna is attached directly to the Yak rack with a Firestick stainless mirror mount (that has been dipped in black plastic coating) with 2 Yak wrap-around thingies (forgot what they are called). The antenna is a no-ground plane type (long story - it works OK, but with a really weird inverted bell curve of SWR ratios across the channels. Basically 1-10 and 30-40 have high SWR, the rest are fine.) It's on a medium duty spring, but I do need to find a fold-over for it, as climbing up there with a pair of wrenches every time a need to put it down is getting old. Let me know if you need more info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts