Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much have you guys paid to have your window replaced? my insurance sucks so im gonna have to shop around ...i guessing $200-$300....is there a how to on this subject? maybe i can do this myself....X only has 3k miles ...this sucks....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Wow, I think you are the first I have heard with a cracked windshield.

How bad is it? I assume it's from a rock?

If you have never changed a windshield, I would suggest not trying it. It's not hard, but if it's not done right you can have a lot of problems, including it popping out if you are in an accident and the air bags go off.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Speaking from experience, I had my X for 2 weeks and got hit by a rock and put a crack about 8" long across my windshield. I had State Farm Insurance at the time and they replaced it for free. Then when I got married I switched to my wife's insurance and once again got hit by a rock. This time it was just a chip. The new insurance wouldn't replace and said I'd have to pay a $200 deductible. The told me someone could come out and fix it so it wouldn't split for free. So that's what I did.

·
on line
143 Posts
muzikman said:

How bad is it? I assume it's from a rock?

If you have never changed a windshield, I would suggest not trying it. It's not hard, but if it's not done right you can have a lot of problems, including it popping out if you are in an accident and the air bags go off.
Make that the second...rock hit about 1/8 inch from the pillar, cracked half way across....

·
on line
143 Posts
Re: cracked windshield replacement cost?

rickdreyes said:
how much have you guys paid to have your window replaced? my insurance sucks so im gonna have to shop around ...i guessing $200-$300....is there a how to on this subject? maybe i can do this myself....X only has 3k miles ...this sucks....
If you have never done a windshield before, don't even try unless you are working with someone who has...You only have one shot at getting it right or you pull it out and start over...and that aint easy....

·
on line
1,884 Posts

·
on line
641 Posts
Xterror said:
Speaking from experience, I had my X for 2 weeks and got hit by a rock and put a crack about 8" long across my windshield. I had State Farm Insurance at the time and they replaced it for free. Then when I got married I switched to my wife's insurance and once again got hit by a rock. This time it was just a chip. The new insurance wouldn't replace and said I'd have to pay a $200 deductible. The told me someone could come out and fix it so it wouldn't split for free. So that's what I did.
I don't know in other states, but in Florida, the insurance must fix it or replace it w/o any deductible.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
muzikman said:
I am pretty sure that Muzik is being sarcastic here.... I think he is trying to win the Jack ass award.... Rouge... Isnt that your award???

·
on line
1,884 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
muzikman said:
I am pretty sure that Muzik is being sarcastic here.... I think he is trying to win the Jack ass award.... Rouge... Isnt that your award???
I know that's why I'm given him sh-- wait I mean crap!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
PS

It's Rogue! I ain't no make up :drunken:

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I just switched to Allstate and they cover Glass and Lights in their glass coverage, kinda cool. $50 deductable I think.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
My windshield got hit by a rock on the way to the dealership
to pay for the X. It wasn't even mine yet! They let me take it for
the weekend to try it out.
________
Erotic

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it got hit by a pebble..and not very hard ...and i was gonna drive straight to the repair place less than a mile way....then it cracked...its like a foot long now.the hit was right above the wiper blade in the center.....i have allstate also ...they basically told me i was screwed.im gonna wait till they finish the construction going thru Everett, Wa.. on I-5 before i even think about getting it fixed.......first door dent 300 miles ....first flat 500 miles ....first windshield 3k miles......wtf is next?> ....is my X a shit magnet?

·
on line
2,081 Posts
Allstate said you were screwed! That's kinda weird - unless you opted out of glass coverage.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I got my first piece taken out of my windsheild this weekend. Not bad just a littel gouge.

My old jeep had a huge crack. I took some of that window repair stuff, you know the kind the says it will make it look like new, well it didn't make it look like new, but it did keep moisture out and keep it from cracking any more. Road with it like that for 3 years and it never split any more. Might give that a go if you aren't fixing it right away.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I got some kind of road haz warranty with my X, covers that, plus tires, lockout, gas, etc. But anyways, Most insurance do cover it no deductible on a newer car. Now a days the windshield is a key part in the air bags functioning properly, so not a repair to be taken lightly nor to do with a part that is anything less than the factory.

Mine took a direct hit from a baseball sized rock that fell off a truck going other way. No damage, I was simply amazed I thought it was going to come through! MC

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
went to the stealer today and tried to explain to them that it wasnt really hit.so they dragged a pen over the hair line crack and noticed a hit cause by a grain of sand....so they said it wasnt a stress crack and it aint covered....it was a nice try.....so they said $512 nissan glass $300 after market......i had the same issue on a honda element the wife had and it was taken care off by a class action lawsuit.."defective glass" ...im just gonna wait and see if this might be the case with nissan

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cincinnati_xterra said:
Im on my third windshield in about a year and a half. My insurance is just a $50 deductable for windshields.
did you go with the nissan or after market winshield?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When auto windshield replacement is necessary, check the provisions of your auto insurance coverage. There is a good chance that the policy will either pay for the replacement entirely, or at least cover the expense less a fixed deductible. This will give you an idea of the out of pocket expense that you will have to absorb.

auto glass

1 - 20 of 51 Posts