Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great day of wheeling out in the California desert. I usually stick to the Borrego Badlands, which is mostly deep sand and clay hills, but I rode copilot on Coyote Canyon with Bill Burke a couple weeks ago and had to return to conquer it for myself.

It's a pretty badass trail with a lot of terrain variance. Lots of very off-camber rocky turns and deep pits where vehicles have gotten stuck and dug in. There's a ton of mid-trail boulders with massive gouges on top of them.

I'd rate this trail a 7.5/10 for difficulty. I didn't have time to install my sliders but managed to complete the trail with only a minor tow-hitch scrape.

Extremely happy with my 255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrains... still no rubbing!

Saw a jackrabbit, a couple bighorns, and a bunch of jeeps who were amazed to see me.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Nice pics!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Good looking pics man

·
on line
589 Posts
Looks awesome. Haven't been out there myself, but once the install of bumpers and sliders happens we could roll out there and scare the jeeps with 2 Xterra's riding the trail...

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol Muzikman... yeah, I know man, but that's my thing. If somethin happens I'll figure it out... or strap on the Camel Pack.

Yeah Erick, it's a very fun trail, especially the water crossings. They're not deep at all, bumper depth at most, but one of them goes through a tunnel of greens. It's like you're in the desert one minute and then in Cambodia the next.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Be safe man. I wheel alone some, but in PA I can walk less than 5 miles in just about any direction and hit a road of some sort.

·
on line
463 Posts
Hey there's some wheelin' there and you took some great photos.

It's always fun to surprise the " Jeep Boys" I, too have had that pleasure a couple of times as well.
They think that Jeeps are the only 4x4, they were just the first.

Very nice work,
Jim B

·
on line
271 Posts
syndicate,

What lift are you running? Also, I like the size of the 255/85/16 BFG Mud Terrains, I'd be interested in how they wear.

Thanks,
Travis

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the positive comments on the photos guys.

Snoopy,
Actually I've only got AC coils up front right now. I've got AC shackles sitting in my garage, calling my name. I decided to go the low budget route until something really substantial hits the market.

And yes, I too am interested in seeing how my tires will wear. I'm assuming the more narrow 255/85/16 will wear out a little sooner than a wider tire but I feel the perfect fit is well worth it.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
----------COYOTE CANYON REVISITED----------

Last weekend I revisited Coyote Canyon with my girlfriend and her whole family. The Jeep owner is her older brother. I'm happy to say that the X was just as capable as the Jeep, which had a solid front axle and rear locker. We ran into drap and his buddy, another member of TheNewX.org. Small world. At the end of the trail, there's a cool veranda, but it'd been pretty beat up over the years. We even discussed making another trip in the future, loaded up with wood and nails to patch up the structure.

To anyone in So-Cal, I highly recommend hitting this trail. It starts out on the desert floor, weaving through washes and fun sandy sections. There's a total of 4 water crossings, with the last one leading you through 1.5' of H20 and a very cool overgrowth tunnel. It reminds me of off-roading through a small section of Vietnam or something. There's 3 fairly technical climbs through very rocky terrain, all culminating in a scenic camp spot.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hey bro, those are some sweet shots. Im really itchin to wheel again. Do you think i can make that trail W/O a lift? I really need to make a trip out to Diego and wheel with you guys. Im gonna definitely hit you up if im out that way.

·
on line
564 Posts
Darn...I need to head down that way and do some wheel'n. Great pics!

Rob

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Erick said:
Dang Syndicate! Next time you head out give me a call bro!
Fo-sho man!

xterra3100, you could totally do this trail without a lift but you will absolutely get some minor to moderate scraping. I've seen lesser vehicles than a stock Xterra complete this trail.

·
on line
463 Posts
Ahhhh, Damn It !

Those tires do look good And, the wheeling looks like a great place for us to try again ??

Are you guys planning on the SCCX run on the 24th and 25th ?

Jim B

1 - 20 of 36 Posts