Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working with a local shop and they are recommending doing an AAL in the rear to compliment this front end setup. They are saying I will get 1.5 inches out of the AAL. I have the OR X, will I need to replace the shocks in the rear as well? Have any of you replaced the brake lines?

So far it's running $699 for the Radflow, $599 for the TC UCA, $149 for the AAL, 4 hours of labor @ $75 and another $75 for the alignment.

I'd do the install myself, I just don't have the experience and feel comfortable doing it myself.

So right now I'm looking approx $1,900 w/ tax. That Calimi kit is $1695 and I will get more lift and probably have some better parts in my truck, obviously install time will be longer, but paying an additional couple hundred bucks to have a superior lift would be better money spent, IMO.

Any care to chime in on the noob questions?

Thanks

·
on line
1,407 Posts
First off I would consider the Radflos to be FAR superior to the Calmini setup. The Calmini front lift is a gigantic spacer. The real question is what do you want? Do you want more lift or is your X a daily driver? Mine is a daily driver and I only want 3" of lift for now. If you wanted a lift to compare quality to the Radflo, TC UCA look at the SLR.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
With the Calmini lift you will get more lift, but you won't really get better parts. All the Calmini lift is, is a diff drop and HUGE shock spacers with a new rear spring pack.

You are actually getting higher quality parts by doing the TC UCA and the RadFlo shocks.

The Calmini lift will also cost ALOT more to install than what you are doing.

As for the rear.

You best option is to get a new spring pack for the rear (Alcan), but that will obviously run you about an additional $400.

If you want the best off-road performance you will want new (longer travel) rear shocks and with them you will need new (extended) brake lines.

If you do not change the shocks, they end up becoming the limiter when you flex. They will bottom out.

Once you change the shocks you will now over extend your brake lines. Some people have relocated the stock lines to allow the additional length needed, but to be honest, spending $80 on new lines would make sure that no matter what, you don't stretch out a line and break it.

Now, if you never plan to wheel and are just doing the lift for the looks, then no need for the new rear shocks or brake lines. You also really don't need the TC UCA and RadFlo shocks.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Couldn't have said it much different than these guys.
If you want real offroad performance get the Radflo's and TC uca's and a shackle/AAL combo for best articulation. Spend a lil more and get the Alcan springs for the back.
If it's just lift you're going for and you can afford the labor go with the Calmini.

·
on line
589 Posts
I agree with most of the guys on here. I have that exact setup (TC UCAs, Radflo Coilovers, Calmini AAL, and Shackles as well). The quality of this is far superior then the full calmini 5" IMO. I love this setup, and don't plan changing it, but keep in mind you may want to consider for the rear when you do this to replace the stock brake lines and getting longer travel shocks. With this setup you can fit 33" tires without a problem, and again I personally wouldn't go bigger until the X can replace some serious parts that really don't have after market replacements yet. Just my 2 cents...

And as far as the install, I had never worked on any of these areas in the car and I was able to do each one of these installs with the help from a friend and tools found in any garage.

·
on line
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking for better offroad performance. Sounds like the TC UCA's are the way to go.

My comment about calmini's parts being better was to the upgraded steering knuckles.

As far as look, I don't care except for having the rear end sit higher than the front. That just annoys me and I don't know why.

I would love to do slr but its just way out of what I want to spend right now...thanks to getting married in the summer. If I wasn't engaged it would be a done deal. :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Once you get 100+ lbs of recovery gear in the back, it levels out quite a bit. :)

There isn't anything wrong with the stock steering knuckle. So yeah, the TC / RadFlo would currently be the best quality for the money.

·
on line
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if I keep the stock blistens for now, I won't have to add the extended brake lines?

If/when I want to upgrade the shocks, sounds like the Rancho 9000's are some decent cushions?

·
on line
589 Posts
I am using the Rancho's and am happy with them.

And with just the AAL, you would not need to replace the brake lines or the bilsteins. It's when you do both the AAL and shackles that it becomes necessary.

·
on line
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Erick, I just sent you a PM. :)

As I mentioned, I've lifted 2wd in the past and it seemed a bit easier than this!

·
on line
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yay!

Ordered the TC UCA's, Radflo's, and Deaver AAL from Greg @ PRG today. He hopes to ship this Thursday! Sweet. Greg is a good guy and knowledgeable...

I wish I could get that kind of turnaround time with Shrock, I'm doing a 3 dayer on the Mojave trail March 9th and I would love to have the bumper by then. Seeing that it took most members 3 months to receive their's, I will rule that out!

thx to all who answered my annoying PM's. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts