Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that bought the Coleman Roof Rack from Costco. IF you live in a dry area.. your okay. (maybe??)

UP in Oregon, it rains LOTS!!!.. I Re-installed my Roof rack, for camping sunday. 2 day's ago.

Today, noticed yellow Orange Goo going down the back end of the X... OH OH... Ran outside.. Looked at it... stuck finger into it.. YEP RUST!!!!... grrrrrrrrrr

RUST!!!.. The inner rack is bare metal, Guess its filling with water.. now leaking out from air preasure. Draining Rust Goo all over my White X. grrrrrrrr

Any idea's on how to stop? To seal??

Thinking taking the spray Foam, Spray down into the Pipe to seal it. ( after its dried out.).. To prevent future water filling into it.

This was not expected!!!... Had to warn folks.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will have to do something.. Rust is bad.. Will yank it off tonight, Then un bolt it.. Hit with air gun.

Silicon hmmm... Buy few tubes of the stuff.. Just Start filling the tubes up so it oozes out the other side. That should seak the weld spots, case has leak?.

Then spray with liner good on the joints.

·
on line
245 Posts
thanks for the info chug. i'm in Oregon too, and although we've had a pretty dry season so far, i don't count on that to continue! i'm going to check it out this weekend...

·
on line
145 Posts
Be careful with the kind of silicone that you use. Some of it promotes rust.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CHurt, Ah your just south of me (mcMinnville). With the few rain showers we had.. I was shocked to suddenly see the rust oozing out & down the rails on down the lift gate..

Hitting the car wash tonight, then Yanking roof rack off To clean it up. Will find away to plug it.

now, how long will it hold up... :)

·
on line
245 Posts
Chug said:
CHurt, Ah your just south of me (mcMinnville). With the few rain showers we had.. I was shocked to suddenly see the rust oozing out & down the rails on down the lift gate..

Hitting the car wash tonight, then Yanking roof rack off To clean it up. Will find away to plug it.

now, how long will it hold up... :)
You're actually in between my two homes. Corvallis as a student, but Beaverton for breaks and summer. Let me know what you do to plug the rack...

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure thing, will post idea.. Or trick..

Unless someone else came up with a Plug idea already.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
willgr1 said:
k1w1t1m said:
Be careful with the kind of silicone that you use. Some of it promotes rust.

i would only use aquarium safe silicon
did not know that... Figured once its dried inside & then sealed water tight.. should be okay...

fine time to find out, of rusting just as winter starts. grrrrr

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To update this Rust GOO..

Surprised nobody else had this issue??. I can not be the only one with the China Cheap made rack. OR I got the lead!! :)

Taken off the rack tonight. Removed the 4 bolts. To my suprise, water was coming out of the halfs.. grrrrrr..

yep, Rust Goo Orange/yellowish. Rust goo I call it..

Air blasted the ends, out comes more goo. Will let air dry for few days. Now to figure out how to seal it from future water.

time will tell, but for 80 bucks.. I can modify something to seal it... :) I hope????...

Okay the smart kids in the crowd Start thinking on this one...

·
on line
962 Posts
I think that's my cue aye?

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I will be....Can someone take a picture of this problem? I mean, like the actual point of problem.

I'm a lab tech for an aquatic lab so I can try out some silicon junk tomorrow and give some input.

·
on line
704 Posts
Interesting... This came in right after I started thinking about getting the rack again... A day ago I asked myself if there was a catch and here we are. Do any people with Yakima racks have this issue? Honestly, for somebody who lives w/o a garage or a spare place paying $280 sounds like a good deal as long as I don't have to take the sucker apart.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rack's at home, split in two. drying out. Guessing the inner tubing is not painted just Raw metal. With the outside Painted.

Weak spot is the location where each half joins & bolts. The seam is the opening. ( Unless fill with air... Spray soapy water on the joints.)
I can take a photo, tonight.

IF the only open spots are at the Ends that connect... Could just Plug with Silicone GOO till its plugged. The Add Heat shrink to the OUter pipe With coating of silicone for Water Tight seal.

Am I the only one with this issue? :)

·
on line
2,077 Posts
chug - i pulled mine also to analyze, the weak part to me seem to be where the tubes slide together and the mounting brackets. These are the areas that are starting to show rust on mine. My rack is only 1 month old mind you, but i leave it on all the time. I got some GE silicone from HD and i'm going to silicone the tubes together and the bolts into the holes. this should prevent water from entering the tubing. I also noticed where the bottom rails connect to the top bigger tube there are holes around those welds. I'm going to add silicone to each of those also. I'm probably going to hit the mounting brackets and the whole rack with some rustolium when i'm done to make sure there aren't any issues down the road.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Ummm, did anyone really expect the INSIDE of the tube to be painted? I'd like to see how you do that, outside of dragging it through a paint bath or something. No tubing is painted on the inside; example, Shrock sliders (granted, they would be fully sealed by welds). But yes, I suppose something would need to be done to seal up the areas exposed to moisture creeping in, like the joints where the two halves come together (use heat-shrink wrap or silicone) and the "floor" of the rack to the main tubing (silicone).

I say $80 + $5 for a tube of silicone still beats $300 for a Yak...

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is some photo's of the Pipe with rust.. I hope photo's send... first time posting photo's.. Yikes.

That brown is the Rust GOO... Guessing Silicon will be best bet.. Just Seal all spots on it.. & heat shrink to further seal it.

the other side

·
on line
298 Posts
howlong was that on your rig? I dont have anything looking like that, and its been on for several months in PA's best weather

1 - 20 of 29 Posts