Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking for 2013-15 Xterra Pro-4X, especially because we wanted a backup camera.
But I just bumped into a 2012 that looks interesting. But it doesn't have a screen.

Anyone have an idea what it would cost to add a head unit with android/apple compatibility and a backup camera?
And of course we would still want the steering wheel controls to work.

There are a couple do it yourself threads... but I'm not going to do that, I'd bring it to an installer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just call BestBuy. They'll give you a quote over the phone. Most of the head units include installation. You'll have the option to retain steering wheel controls.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Best Buy call and get their name and go there, so the right person can demo… if you’re not into installing things, and there are a few complications then.

like steering wheel controls. Needs a module from Amazon for $25 and someone to install (things can always complicate even if it looks simple on paper). Best all done at once or you pay more

I had stereo places installs always (good and bad experiences)
Right now I have Pioneer NEX 4000 since 2015 and current version is like 4200. Steering wheel controls, HDMI input. CarPlay Android/Apple I don’t use but all units have some good and some bad things. I stay away from NAV in stereo, it makes boot up longer, can be slow when used… I prefer a $300 Garmin that is a dedicated unit for NAV with its own screen. It’s just above the gear shifter so I can easily type on it.

the more things in one, the more can break or be a compromise. That’s why I prefer a separate NAV device

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Pioneer 4500NEX is latest, MSRP $700 so I would look for it for $550 from reputable sources

Crutchfield is out of it.

There are cheaper alternatives and in stock, shortages can be anywhere), but if something works for me, I look at its newer version first (not all have HDMI input for example)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I called two local install places and got wildly different install estimates, from US$300 to US$800.
I haven't called best buy yet but their web site claims free install? They MUST add on to that for stuff like the steering wheel module and backup camera, etc.
I'm wary of best buy because I want this done "right". I've seen both bad and good installs on previous vehicles.
Twenty years ago I would do this myself... but around then my back told me not to contort myself under a dashboard ever again.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
611 Posts
My X had already aftermarket heatunit installed just for radio Bluetooth and and it dose has port for backup camera too

but I just installed completely independent unit that works as dash cam/ rear view mirror and backup camera when I put in reverse have it close to a year soon.. hmm perhaps its time to do a 1 year review on that unit soon lolz

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks guys. I called two local install places and got wildly different install estimates, from US$300 to US$800.
I haven't called best buy yet but their web site claims free install? They MUST add on to that for stuff like the steering wheel module and backup camera, etc.
I'm wary of best buy because I want this done "right". I've seen both bad and good installs on previous vehicles.
Twenty years ago I would do this myself... but around then my back told me not to contort myself under a dashboard ever again.
Best Buy's prices might be a little higher than other folks, and that may be how they offer the install for free. It's also just good business to do so. The techs don't get paid per job, they get paid hourly. So there's no incentive to sell you on something you don't need. I used to work in their install bay :p

The quality of the install depends on the tech that's doing the install. Read reviews of the store to determine if it's worth it. I've seen crap installs from even the most prestigious mom and pop shops and I've seen some beautiful installs from Best Buy techs. And vice versa. I prefer Best Buy because at least your warranty is good anywhere there's a store.

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
279 Posts

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
279 Posts
Parts needed for the Kenwood DMX4707S install:

Metra Dash Kit;

Axxess Universal Steering Wheel Controls (AXSWC);

Metra Harness; and

Crime Stopper CAM-300 Marine Camera.

Metra Dash Kit.jpg AXSWC_web.jpg Metra Harness.jpg IMG_4573.JPG

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,203 Posts
I hear ya. I just turned 60 myself and stuff I used to not bat an eye at now has me thinking twice!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My Pioneer Headunit was ~$250-300 at Best Buy. Can't remember if that included install or not... i had a friend that worked there and got me a deal (employee discount, free, install, something like that?) He was the tech and is the most meticulous A/V guy I know, as well as being a car nut.
Anyways... it currently lists for $289. It has a camera input, I just didn't feel like adding it at the time. Cameras are $30 to $150.
The next level up headunit (with nav, which mine doesn't have) was closer to $550-600. Not sure if mine has Satellite Radio... I don't use that, but it might be more, and something some places assume you want.

These variables are probably why your estimates are all over the place. You could have it done (installed) for $400. But the little nicer stuff, and maybe a slight bump in install cost, can easily put to at $800-$1,100.

Personally, I didn't want nav because my phone had it. Turns out, the headunit via android auto/AppRadio sucked and was limited to only the android auto/AppRadio Nav and awkard to use in general.
Next time around, I plan to try an android head unit so I can install anything I want.

Side note, the rearview is often done via a 'trigger wire'... so they might be able to wire in a separate switch in case you want to leave it on. Like, while towing or wheeling.

Reactions: VintageX

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I went with crutchfield a few years ago. You can get it setup so its just plug and play, no soldering or anything. The backup camera is easy enough to run yourself too. Super simple and way cheaper than playing someone to do it. I even stalled a part that bypasses the "parking" restriction, so now I..I mean my wife...can watch movies while on trips.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Attached is a photo I found on the internet with a Kenwood DMX4707S

My install looks OEM quality like this one does.
IMG_4565.JPG

·
Registered
279 Posts
The apple/android car play is the best feature. It mirrors whatever is on your phone, and displays internet driving directions, etc.

I am not trying to convince you to buy a Kenwood. Do your research, and you will find a system which suits your needs and budget.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
This was the kit that Best Buy used on mine. It definitely looks pretty factory. And the headunit lighting was all customizable... so it could match the ugly orange the rest of the truck has lol

Attachments

Reactions: VintageX

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did my own install, but even ordering the Scosche for kit instead of the metra (because it looks closer to stock) and springing for a textured piece of vinyl to match the stock plastic i’m still only out $500 for this head unit: DMH-C2550NEX

792CFC4D-DE36-45F8-8FA4-DF68F7C92E16.jpeg E17D1959-EDA1-4CFE-85C2-3F2E3F4B2C2C.jpeg

·
Registered
2011 Pro4X
20 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts