Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pay my dealer 30 bucks to do an oil & filter change for me (Feldman in Minneapolis, btw, has always treated me well), as well as do a general fluid, air, tread inspection. This happens around every 3000 miles or 3 months.

I know the "inspection" is just a walkthrough and peek, but I'm able to sit in the waiting area and get work done while all this happens, so there's some value there.

But let's say it's only the oil change that I'm paying for. They use Nissan 5w-30 synthetic and an OEM filter. I'd probably pay around $30 or more for 5 quarts of a reputable synthetic from the store (Mobile1, Castrol, whatever) and a filter.

So, besides having the satisfaction of doing it myself, which is definitely worth something, and also knowing it's done right - there's no reason to think it's not currently being done right... what are some other compelling reasons to do it myself? I'm not really saving any money, after all.

THoughts?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Dealer changes for me were more along the lines of $100+ with synthetic. Yep, I'll do my own thanks.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Run away from that dealer. Buy your own oil and filter in Walmart and have them do the change. I paid $50.28 for mobil 1 synthetic high mileage oil and a bottle of lucas with the oil change. They charged me $10 for labor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your dealer uses synthetic oil and does a $30 oil change? Is it a full synthetic?[/color]
The invoice says it is 5 quarts of 999BK-05W30NW (it's a Nissan OEM oil, but Googling it doesn't reveal if it's synthetic). You're suggesting I'm making an assumption about it being synthetic, and you're actually right... maybe should clarify with them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mystery solved... I looked at the fine print on the coupons I use and it says "synthetic additional cost". That was obviously my fault. So now there's clearly a cost savings of doing it myself if I use synthetic, and I can space out my intervals from 3K to 5K.

Thanks for the feedback that prompted me to look more closely.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was having Walmart change my oil for $19.99 before I added skids. So, this time, I decided to do it myself. 6 qts of conventional oil. $16 for conventional oil and another $8 for a filter... Hmmm, it costs me more to change the oil myself. WTF?

Yes, I know they use the cheapest oil they can and only add 5 3/8 qts, then use a cheap fram filter. But how they make money on this is beyond me.

The only saving grace is that I know it's done right. No more over tightened drain bolts or filters. No more "barely enough" oil fills. And I'm sure I'm putting in a better grade of oil. Besides, it gives me the opportunity to crawl under the truck and check for things being loose. I'm sure the monkeys at Wally World don't give a rat's rear about looking for problems... unless it's something they can sell you.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i go to the dealership for my oil changes. it's cheaper than if I do it myself. I get an email from them about every 3 months offering a $29.99 oil change. they reach around the front skid and i have a fumoto value for the drain plug. It's stupid to do it myself in this particular situation.

·
on line
429 Posts
There's something to be said for building a relationship with your dealer. They may cut you a break someday when you have a major problem or need something special or quickly. Assuming you trust them and are happy with their work of course.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's something to be said for building a relationship with your dealer. They may cut you a break someday when you have a major problem or need something special or quickly. Assuming you trust them and are happy with their work of course.

Not my dealer... My wife had a Murano a few years ago and we were having the dealer do the oil changes because it came with a service package. I checked the oil the day after the oil change because we were leaving on a 2900 mile round trip. It was about 2qts low!!! when I called about it they told me the Murano only took 4.25 qts because it was a 4cyl!!!! last time I had the dealer do any kind of work for me.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might be in the minority. I actually like my dealer.

I am, however, going to switch to doing my own oil changes, mainly because I feel I should be familiar with doing so at this point in my life.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Dealers usually change the oil as a loss leader or at cost to get you coming in repetatively, so they get all the other work, and potentially a new vehicle sale in the future.

I do my own oil however because it takes about 15 minutes, while it takes longer than that for me to drive to the dealer one way, then wait. Also it gives me a chance to look around underneath and check to see what else might be in need of attention. However from a cost stanpoint, paying for someone to change your oil isn't really an extra cost.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I always do my own.

I buy a Nissan filter from the dealer for $13, and usually can get the oil for 30-40 for full synthetic.

Would easily pay over $100.00 for that here in Canada.

·
Registered
248 Posts
About $25 i get the oil and filter i like ( Quaker State Defy, Napa gold Filter (Wix))
I go outside pop the plug and then go inside and watch tv. Come back out an hour later nice and dry and wrap up rest. I dont like 5 second drain jobs at shops.

It's a different ball game when you have to bust out the jack and stands...... we dont so it's 5 minutes of work over the course of an hour with beers, smokes, youtube, tv etc. in between

·
on line
3,647 Posts
My local dealer is great with me. Get 10% above cost on parts and I still do mine. They made a mess out of Blueberrys with the front rad skid and bumper (and he works there). But Ive always changed my own. That way no one else but me is held responsible if something I wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 27 Posts