Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Since the Slickrock on Aug 17th is cancelled any interest on running what we did last month backwards? Start at Corral Hollow, check out the cabins, run over to Mattley Ridge and out on the fireroad that we started on? Mellow run with post - food / drinks at Snowshoe Brewery?

I will be running this as a day trip.

Larry

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Start at Corral Hollow, check out the cabins, run over to Mattley Ridge and out on the fireroad that we started on?
Hmm. That means running uphill through that downed log and rock.
The rock would be on the same side as my Slickrock trail damage so no worries there.
:D

Will have to check the calendar, would rather not make it a day run ... would prefer camping.

21SF -> text ya later on maybe we can find a different (dispersed) campground in the area after the run.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, I forgot about that tree section. That will make for an interesting up-and-over for sure!

Hmm. That means running uphill through that downed log and rock.
The rock would be on the same side as my Slickrock trail damage so no worries there.
:D

Will have to check the calendar, would rather not make it a day run ... would prefer camping.

21SF -> text ya later on maybe we can find a different (dispersed) campground in the area after the run.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I talked to Mike, and he's up for doing this, so I am too. I understand running Corral Hollow in reverse (from the Bear Valley end back to Cabbage Patch), but not sure how you were going to incorporate Mattley Ridge?

The complication is camping... I think you are talking about doing CH and MR as a day trip, but Dan and Javier are talking camping, so I assume that for the campers they'd be camping somewhere on CH... and doing the remainder the next day.

We might be interested in camping too. It'd be fun to sit around the campfire listening to the ravings of Dan and Javier, both pretty entertaining guys. Mike has a new larger Dutch Oven.... and he's looking to show off with some kinda tasty dessert.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh well, after slick rock it's prob nothin'
Posted via Mobile Device
Jaiver, is correct. We would need to be spotted, but it won't be anything difficult that would force you to turn around. Just a little bump in the road.

Michael - great to hear you guys are in. :iconbiggrin: I haven't mapped out Mattley Ridge yet, maybe, Dave can chime in? I do have the Peter Massey book that has these two trails in it. If we can't incorporate Mattley ridge after Corral Hollow we can figure out another route and for the campers to get them near their campground. I'll pop open the book later today and see what I can map out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doing a quick mapping. If we did Corral Hollow to Mattley Ridge it will spit us out at Road 7n09 and hwy 4. From there it's ten miles to Lake Alpine: http://goo.gl/maps/75w2d Not sure where the campers were thinking about camping?

Also, Massey and Wilson book states:Corral Hollow takes 2hrs to run and Mattley Ridge 1hr we should add an hour to each depending on how many show.(?)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be interested in doing this run and I am free that weekend =)
Join us. I'll get a list going of who's in and who's camping. So post if you're camping, otherwise I'll assume you're going for the day.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry to be a flake, but the camping part is not looking good for me. We'd still like to do the run (maybe toss in Mount Reba or Sourgrass too?) and hang with you guys a while, but not camping overnight.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to be a flake, but the camping part is not looking good for me. We'd still like to do the run (maybe toss in Mount Reba or Sourgrass too?) and hang with you guys a while, but not camping overnight.
I've never done Mount Reba. I'll need to look it up unless you know, is it possible to do Corral Hollow then Mount Reba?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mount Reba takes off from Highway 207 just east of Bear Valley. It climbs up to the top of Mount Reba where Bear Valley has ski lifts. Mike and I tried it a couple months back and got stopped by deep snow drifts, but that's gotta be gone by now. It's not a hard trail, but man, the views from up there! It goes up to over 8800 feet. I guess it is really the Round Valley Trail to Mount Reba. It's only about 5 easy miles round trip so shouldn't take long to run it.

http://youtu.be/HoLoEayhTaE

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to alter your trip. You are planning this one, we should do what you want. If you want to do CH and MR that's fine with me. I can always do Mt. Reba another time, it's not going anywhere. ;-)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the list / meeting.

Let's stick to the standard 8am at Big Trees Market in Arnold, CA rolling at 9am, Saturday Aug 17th. (this seems to work out well) Gas up at Chevron a few miles before Arnold off hwy 4, or 1.3 miles past the Big Trees Market there's a gas station on your right. We will leave the market at 9am and head to the trailhead.

Michael - let's stick to this route for this trip and perhaps do Mt.Reba after Labor Day? (I am in for that trip!) I think you'll enjoy this trail that you missed out due to mechanical.

When we're done for the day, let's refuel/rehydrate: http://snowshoebrewing.com/

Confirmed:
Larry (lnl1003) - Day
Michael + Mike - Day
Steve (Skhol) - Day
Dan J. - Day

HashX - Camping

Maybe(s)
Jaiver (21sf) - ?
Dan (XKNUT) - ?

Let's keep the list going on the latest post if you're in. Copy/Paste and fill out your information.

Thank you,
Larry

1 - 20 of 64 Posts