Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Cooper is going right after the KO2 crowd with these.

The 285s run small at 32.5 inches. Great for those worried about trimming/melt mods.

Also come in the hard to find sizes.

295/75R16 runs 33.3 inches

also available in 285/75R17 and 295/70R17.

Made in the U.S and they retail about $100 or more less than K02s, per set.

Attachments

·
TNX Veteran
3,625 Posts
Cool! So it is literally their standard AT3 tire but with a more aggressive sidewall design. I would guess that road handling/performance should be relatively unchanged but with a huge improvement to "looks" which is a big pro for a lot of the target audience for this tire (mall crawlers ;))

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I will provide a review of these tires in apx 40,000 miles.
It should take this long before my Falkens need replacing.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe they have a firmer sidewall and higher load ratings. But, if they are anything like the O.G. AT3, then they will be one heck of a tire. Especially for the price. Plus they come in 295s!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm really happy with my AT3s. I don't know if I would consider these tires over the AT3 though. I don't think there's room in their lineup for these myself.
I would have to disagree, the original AT3 leaves much to be desired in the way of side wall, both functionally and aesthetically speaking, this new version takes nothing away from the original, and only adds to it. Lack of a decent side wall is why I went Toyo Open country ATII over the AT3, with this new offering, I'm very open to trying the new version once my Toyo's are done.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I would have to disagree, the original AT3 leaves much to be desired in the way of side wall, both functionally and aesthetically speaking, this new version takes nothing away from the original, and only adds to it. Lack of a decent side wall is why I went Toyo Open country ATII over the AT3, with this new offering, I'm very open to trying the new version once my Toyo's are done.
I took a little more time to look into them and the pictures in this thread don't seem to do the side wall lugging justice. That looks quite a bit more robust on Tire Rack and Cooper's websites. And they seem to weigh the same as the regular A/T3 that I'm running at 54lb.

·
TNX Veteran
3,625 Posts
Heres some good real photos. Always better than a render.
Hmm... looks better in the render to me. Maybe it needs the wheel to go with it. Don't you have Coopers on your truck now?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hmm... looks better in the render to me. Maybe it needs the wheel to go with it. Don't you have Coopers on your truck now?
I have Nitto Terra Grapplers right now. Still trying to decide whether to stay with an AT or go more agressive though. If I stick with AT, I wanna try something different. If I go more aggressive, Im looking at the Ridge Grapplers or the Cooper S/T's

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Cool! So it is literally their standard AT3 tire but with a more aggressive sidewall design. I would guess that road handling/performance should be relatively unchanged but with a huge improvement to "looks" which is a big pro for a lot of the target audience for this tire (mall crawlers ;))
The AT3's are a legit all terrain tire with fairly plain looking sidewalls... I don't think that the tire was ever targeted towards mall crawlers. But maybe it is more so now? As long as they didn't mess with what makes the tire good I don't really care about the aesthetics of the sidewall. They've been great for my uses.

Are the original AT3s going away or is the line just expanding too include the different tires under the AT3 moniker?
From
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/729925/cooper-unveils-discoverer-at3-tire-line

“The highly anticipated replacement for our award-winning Discoverer A/T3, this new Discoverer AT3 line was created for three segments of consumers who want tires that offer comfortable highway driving with durability to go beyond the pavement,” says Scott Jamieson, director of product management.
The way this is worded sounds like they're going away and being replaced by the three different options. The XLT looks to be the go to replacement for the AT3's that I have.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
The AT3's are a legit all terrain tire with fairly plain looking sidewalls... I don't think that the tire was ever targeted towards mall crawlers. But maybe it is more so now? As long as they didn't mess with what makes the tire good I don't really care about the aesthetics of the sidewall. They've been great for my uses.

From
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/729925/cooper-unveils-discoverer-at3-tire-line

The way this is worded sounds like they're going away and being replaced by the three different options. The XLT looks to be the go to replacement for the AT3's that I have.
Yeah, but for about $25 more per tire.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah, but for about $25 more per tire.
I hadn't looked at prices yet, but I just did now. On Discount Tire Direct's website the XLT version of the AT/3 is actually about $35 less than the "classic" AT/3... $169.81 vs $205 per tire in the LT285/75R16 LR E size.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I put a set of them in 235/85-16 on my Chevy 2500 work truck. They followed a set of BFG Commercial AT's that I had run down to almost no tread with zero problems over their life span, so the tires have a tough act to follow.

So far, the tires have performed as expected on and off road. They give a nice, smooth ride on road and good traction in the dirt. I didn't get a flat last weekend driving around a woodcutting area with lots of little, deadly branches strewn about, so I'm happy about that too.

Since I just put a set of KO2's on the Xterra a few months ago, I don't think I'll be reviewing any Coopers on the Xterra for a very long time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts