Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I wanted your opinion on these tires I came across, because they seem too cheap for a good tire (especially from Cooper) in this size. The specs look good, load rating E, good siping, and they're made in the good-ol US of A.

http://www.ntb.com/tires/sku-detail...23R-E-285-75-16/sku3940067.s?skuId=sku3940067

I want to jump on these, but the only thing that has made me hesitant is this phrase at the end of the description:

Built with an aggressive, yet functional, rugged 5-rib design, the Discoverer RTX is ready to take on almost any terrain. Variable depth siping adds biting edges for off-road traction, while maintaining flexibility for smooth highway driving. The Discoverer RTX also incorporates anti-stone retention features, built to eject stones and rocks from underneath you, and guard against damage. Looking for better fuel mileage? Enjoy low rolling resistance and improved MPG, courtesy of an advanced Silica-Infused Compound.
Low rolling resistance doesn't exactly scream "I HAVE GRIPPPPP!"

I didn't know enough about how much you had to rotate M/T's when I bought my Thunderers, and the fronts scalloped like a mf'er. I swapped both the front tires to even it out, and they're even now, but I now have about 10% tread left. If these seem like a good deal to people here I'll buy 5 and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Avoid any Cooper retailer only tire. I learned my lesson on the Discount tire only Discoverer ATP. That appears to be a NTB only tire. My ATPs were the worst tires I've ever owned by a long shot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I didn't even think about that. I was a little worried when I didn't see them on the Cooper website too, that should have been an answer in and of itself. I think I'll spend another $50-75 a tire and do more research on what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I like my ATPs. Took them on Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass and Shaffer trail (White Rim) running 18 psi. Not too loud on the road either. Also ran over two nails. Neither made it through the belt. Just bent inside the rubber - pulled right out both times.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NTB is National Tire and battery, a chain automotive shop. They're saying it's a tire made specifically for them, like a wal-Mart tv manufactured by a reputable company but at a low price point, making them of dubious quality at best.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I like my ATPs. Took them on Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass and Shaffer trail (White Rim) running 18 psi. Not too loud on the road either. Also ran over two nails. Neither made it through the belt. Just bent inside the rubber - pulled right out both times.
I liked mine okay till about 20k, then it went downhill fast. They weren't nearly as quiet as my Destination A/Ts, but initially they were tolerable. It got so bad that I couldn't drown them out with the radio or have a conversation with people in the car without screaming over them. After I started having issues, I saw lots of horrible reviews. I definitely was not alone. When I finally got them warrantied out, they didn't question me when they saw how many times I had them rotated and attempted to be balanced. I couldn't be happier with my Michelins. Definitely a case of, you get what you pay for.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts