Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was getting some premature wear on my Hankook Dynapro ATM's and went to talk to my guy at Telluride Complete Auto Repair. He tried getting his supplier to warranty them as I really don't want an uneven tread pattern while we're going into snow season in CO. Anyway, they wouldn't go for it since they're not down to the wear bar.

I started looking into different options and saw everyone raving about the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's and thought that was going to be the tire for me. BUT then I started hearing about these, the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S:
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S | Cooper Tire
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/314-discount-tire/270274-all-new-cooper-discoverer-at3-family-|-4s-lt-xlt.html

I tried finding out more in-depth reviews about them from our forum but only found @Screamin post who just got them and the usual press release. The 4S/LT/XLT lineup is new for this summer and haven't been out long enough to really been put through their paces. The 4S is sever weather rated with the 3peak snowflake symbol but they're supposed to be a bit better the rest of the year than the ATW's, including off road. I did come across this review on a Taco site after a lot of digging and made me fully commit to them. I'm not sure if this guy works for Cooper but his review sounded exactly what I wanted out of tire, and they look like they have decently aggressive side wall.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/cooper-discoverer-at3-4s-review.557727/

I wasn't looking to upgrade quite yet to the LT285/75/16 in the XLT or the LT265/75/16 in the LT just because of the added weight and lowered speed rating. XLT=54lbs & 126R (3,748lbs 106mph), LT=48lbs & 112R (2,469lbs)/49lbs & 123R (3,417lbs) for C/E respectively, and 4S 265/75/16=41lbs & 116T (2,756lbs) *all specs are from Cooper's website*. I'll be getting them installed on Tuesday just in time to drive out to Ogden from Telluride for my Xterra PAN/AM Championship race! I Look forward to see how they do and will report back. I to try to get an Imogene pass in a few weeks once I'm done racing for the summer and have some more time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They are a good looking tire and the weight savings is great but I would be wary about a standard load tire doing any kind of off roading. You don't have to go with an E but even a C would make me feel a lot better. Remember that the majority of failures off road are tire related. At the very least make sure you get a 5th for a spare and have a good puncture repair kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a good looking tire and the weight savings is great but I would be wary about a standard load tire doing any kind of off roading. You don't have to go with an E but even a C would make me feel a lot better. Remember that the majority of failures off road are tire related. At the very least make sure you get a 5th for a spare and have a good puncture repair kit.
I'm well aware and definitely do have a full spare with a plug kit. But the good thing is I push my body wayy harder than my vehicle. I've done a bit of mild wheeling around Telluride/SW CO to get to bike trails with the current Hankooks and have had zero problems so far (other than uneven wear). I'm looking for the other 90-95% of the time.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+AT3+4S&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=675TR6DA4SOWL&tab=Sizes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-Wildpeak-A-T3W-265-75R16-116T-RBL-All-Terrain-tire/54383754

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-Wildpeak-A-T3W-LT265-75R16-123S-RBL-All-Terrain-tire/54383669?athcpid=54383669&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-bfbae739-450c9ee772a8c1ab&athena=trueinks
for the purpose of viewing tires.

I'm a huge fan of Cooper and General tires.
If your wanting a set of Cooper tires, I'm sure you would be pleased.

However, I have my doubts regarding the Cooper being the better off road tire(for my needs anyway).
In my case, an off road tire needs to be good in wet swampy conditions where mud and Ga red clay is likely to be present.
In these cases, the Wild Peak AT3W appears to have larger tread-blocks which would assist in removing caked on mud from the tires.

At this time, I'm running a set of Wild Peak AT3W's on my X and have been pleased with them.
In another 30,000 miles I may try the Coopers you mentioned, but only if the price is comparable to what Falken is offering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+AT3+4S&sidewall=Outlined White Letters&partnum=675TR6DA4SOWL&tab=Sizes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-Wildpeak-A-T3W-265-75R16-116T-RBL-All-Terrain-tire/54383754

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-Wildpeak-A-T3W-LT265-75R16-123S-RBL-All-Terrain-tire/54383669?athcpid=54383669&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-bfbae739-450c9ee772a8c1ab&athena=trueinks
for the purpose of viewing tires.

I'm a huge fan of Cooper and General tires.
If your wanting a set of Cooper tires, I'm sure you would be pleased.

However, I have my doubts regarding the Cooper being the better off road tire(for my needs anyway).
In my case, an off road tire needs to be good in wet swampy conditions where mud and Ga red clay is likely to be present.
In these cases, the Wild Peak AT3W appears to have larger tread-blocks which would assist in removing caked on mud from the tires.

At this time, I'm running a set of Wild Peak AT3W's on my X and have been pleased with them.
In another 30,000 miles I may try the Coopers you mentioned, but only if the price is comparable to what Falken is offering.
That's good to know. I know a bunch of people on here (as well as the rest of the truck world) have good things to say about Cooper tires. I ended up getting them for a steal because the Hankook's wore poorly/the distributor couldn't help out... one of the advantages to buying through a reputable place!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Messe46.

Give us an update after your first tire rotation.
I'm sure more than a few of us would love to hear an honest opinion of these tires.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I run the Falken AT3w's and may have been one of the first I saw on here to get them. Was a new tire at the time and the price was GREAT in the beginning. They've went up a little though but so far have been excellent in everything except deep cakey mud (but it's a AT abit an hybrid AT) and so far I've put over 15k miles on them and they still look new (treat dept is around 15/32 at this point new is 17/32). My buddy TerryD runs the Cooper AT3 (The pre-new sidewall version but same tread) and seems happy with them. I think my tires do a very small amount better in some of the stuff we've done together but neither have any issue going anywhere.

If you want a good performing tire at a decent price I don't think you could go wrong with the Falken, Cooper AT3 variants or Generals new ATx tire.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I've had my Coopers for about 6 months and have run them before in stock size on my Xterra and also on a S10 Blazer I had a couple years ago.

I've been very pleased with them on the whole. I can't think of any situation I've been in so far with the Xterra where I thought my tire choice had any bearing on the vehicles performance. I do actively avoid deep water/mud though but the places I've been in it, I've not been disappointed.

In July we took the X to the OBX for the week and they did great on the highway, which was a primary factor in my choosing them over a M/T or hybrid like the CXT from Mastercraft.

I agree with Issac, you can't go wrong with any of those tires if you primarily drive on-road. I think you'll be pleased with them! Just be careful with that lighter load rating. You're more susceptible to punctures and abrasion on the sidewalls so keep that in mind when it comes to being in the rocks or driving fast on rough, rock littered roads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried finding out more in-depth reviews about them from our forum but only found @Screamin post who just got them and the usual press release. The 4S/LT/XLT lineup is new for this summer and haven't been out long enough to really been put through their paces. The 4S is sever weather rated with the 3peak snowflake symbol but they're supposed to be a bit better the rest of the year than the ATW's, including off road. I did come across this review on a Taco site after a lot of digging and made me fully commit to them. I'm not sure if this guy works for Cooper but his review sounded exactly what I wanted out of tire, and they look like they have decently aggressive side wall.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/cooper-discoverer-at3-4s-review.557727/
I went back and forth quite a bit but ended up with a P-rated just because my X is my DD in addition to my off-road rig. So far, I'm very pleased with the performance at speed on the highway (85+ mph with no wandering, good control and they are QUIET). I've been on gravel and up a fire road so far (I drive faster than I should because I can >:)) and have been impressed with the way they grip and the stability I've felt so far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just got a set of the Cooper Discoverer at3 4S today in P load 265/75/16. Don't have an opinion yet, but there is some vibration around 70mph. Don't have time to go back today to address it.

Would this be a tire balance issue? Lower speeds is fine. Tires have zero noise. SLight vibration around 70mph. Other than that, the price was fantastic, and have heard good things. Overall upgrade from the worn stock bf goodrich.

About to do 2k+ miles in Utah next month. Will see how they hold up.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It could simply be an issue with balance .

In addition, this may be an issue which resolves itself after putting a few miles on your tires.

I would discuss this issue with your tire store asap so they can become aware that your problem began with the tire swap.

You don't need to put a few thousand miles on the tires and then complain about their ride.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Would this be a tire balance issue? Lower speeds is fine. Tires have zero noise. SLight vibration around 70mph.
It sounds like a balance issue. The wheel weight could have been thrown off, not properly indexed, tire spun on rim a little, or the tire even "settled" after some miles. These generally occur with larger/heavier tires, but can happen with any size. Should be a simple re-balancing to correct. I had an occasional odd vibration come back after a couple of weeks every once in a blue moon when I slung tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

Since last Tuesday when I got the tires on, I've put on just about 1,900 miles of highway driving with speed limits up to 80mph. If I don't have anything going on tomorrow, I'll try to get a Last Dollar road and Imogene Pass back to Telluride.

So far the tires handle great in dry conditions and feel very stable at high speeds for prolonged periods of time. As for wet, they also feel stable but only was able to drive them in my commute to/from work yesterday (~20miles) mostly at about 40mph, but short distances at 55mph. They don't seem to be as loud as the Hankook's, which is a plus. I did drive them at full pressure on a plowed field the morning of the Pan American Xterra Race on Saturday; not really an "offroad" test but little to no stone retention.

Since it's still not quite the season but soon approaching, I have not tested them in a CO snow storm. However I do feel confident that they'll perform well in those conditions. As for wear, it's still a little early to tell (they do have a 65k mile warranty).

Here's a pic of the P4X overlooking Paradox Valley on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm going to go back over to the shop on MOnday and have them take a look. Good to know that sometimes they go out of whack. I've only ever had smaller cars, so this is a first with tires this big.

The tread compound feels very soft to me, and the sidewalls seem pretty thin/flexible. Not sure if that's normal for an A/T tire, but they do have 65k tread life warranty, so we'll see.
I have a full -size Cooper Discoverer AT3 spare that's unused and a tire patch kit, so that's some piece of mind with the thinner sidewall.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just got a set of the Cooper Discoverer at3 4S today in P load 265/75/16
The tread compound feels very soft to me, and the sidewalls seem pretty thin/flexible. Not sure if that's normal for an A/T tire, but they do have 65k tread life warranty, so we'll see.
Most tires that work well in snow have pretty soft compounds, and P rated tires usually have weaker sidewalls and lighter construction than LT tires. The C load LT version is 7 pounds heavier than what you bought; that's a big difference and may account for why the sidewalls seemed thin.

I was wondering why you opted for the P instead of LT on these tires, then I looked at Cooper's site and noticed they don't offer the 4S in the LT version. I have the original A/T3's and am looking at what I'll replace them with down the road. The 4S was one I'd considered, but not if they're only P rated. Most likely I'll be getting the XLT.

I am curious, why the choice of the 4S if you live in Long Beach?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got the P load because thats what my old tires were. I don't go off-roading for the sake of just off-roading. Not really into driving in caravans at 5mph all day.
I'm curious so I like to explore. it's my daily driver, and I opted for mpg over robustness. I havea full size spare, patch kit, and whatnot.

I got the 4s so I could drive where ever the hell I wanted to. Kind of the point of a vehicle like this. There is snow in the mountains where I like to hike/climb. And every type of terrain from here to michigan, where im from.

The new 4s was like $40 total more than the original at3. and for under $600, I figured why not.

One thing im concerned about with the vibration is a bent rim or something. I just got them rebalanced, but was stuck in a traffic jam and havent been up to speed yet. I'll see tonight whats up on my way to work. I have until october 11th to get this straightened out before my big trip. Never really had an issue before this, so im worried its going to get played out and cost me more money or something. Just worried before such a big trip, with limited free time to solve a seemingly simple issue.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I got the P load because thats what my old tires were. I don't go off-roading for the sake of just off-roading. Not really into driving in caravans at 5mph all day.
I'm curious so I like to explore. it's my daily driver, and I opted for mpg over robustness. I havea full size spare, patch kit, and whatnot.

I got the 4s so I could drive where ever the hell I wanted to. Kind of the point of a vehicle like this. There is snow in the mountains where I like to hike/climb. And every type of terrain from here to michigan, where im from.

The new 4s was like $40 total more than the original at3. and for under $600, I figured why not.

One thing im concerned about with the vibration is a bent rim or something. I just got them rebalanced, but was stuck in a traffic jam and havent been up to speed yet. I'll see tonight whats up on my way to work. I have until october 11th to get this straightened out before my big trip. Never really had an issue before this, so im worried its going to get played out and cost me more money or something. Just worried before such a big trip, with limited free time to solve a seemingly simple issue.
Cool, not at all saying it wasn't a good choice, just curious about the factors going into your decision to stick with P rated when most here choose an LT. When I went to LT 285/75 from P 265/70's there was a noticeable hit to acceleration and braking, and a slight hit to MPG. I think I gained over 15 lbs per tire... so yeah, you're gonna notice a jump like that.

FWIW I spent a fair bit of time making my tire decision and weight was a factor. It needs to be updated but here's the google spreadsheet I made with another forum member a few years back:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hYgUsMXl9xdSpU8c5nwW1CFB8axXrZf6PVyw2wi8nEY/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you get the vibration sorted, please keep us posted on how the 4S's do. And post pics of your big trip!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Full Update:

I'm thoroughly impressed with the 4s tires! I just did a loop starting/end in Telluride; going over Last Dollar road, highway 62 to 550, Ouray, and then ended on Imogene pass. I aired down to 28psi for Last Dollar (not necessary but much more comfortable), aired back up for the highway, and then aired down to 22psi for Imogene. My roommate with his jeep has 32" KO2's and was down to 15psi. While I could have aired down further, I never felt that I was underperforming or slipping. My other buddy who was with us in his 4runner, has Cooper ATW studded tires aired down to 22psi (don't ask 😂😂 ). The more we drove on Imogene, the more confident I became with the tires. At the end of it all there were no gashes to the sidewalls that I could notice. These tires definitely stand up to what they're advertised for... someone who drives a lot of paved roads but likes to adventure off road every so often. If you find yourself needing a beefier tire, check out their LT and XLT tires. I'd venture to say the XLT is a good alternative to the KO2's.

As a slight side note, there was an older gentleman in a 4dr Wrangler who flipped and had to be air lifted out of the basin on the Ouray side. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery, but pretty sure the car is totalled. Sheriffs had closed the pass and everyone who turned around had told us about it. We just kept crawling towards the accident until we couldn't go any further. Luckily for us, once we got to the accident they were about 20min from opening the pass back up and we ended up having the entire drive to ourselves!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
These are still vibrating for me after a road force balance today.

They ride rough right now at all speeds now that I think of it. I lowered the psi from 40 to 35 for the drive to work and it slightly eased the ride at lower speeds. Still vibrates at upper 50's mph, and 70 is shaking too much for me to drive comfortably.

Have to call them back again tomorrow and see where to go as the RF balance did not solve the problem. Not sure what's next? I've read above that sometimes this just happens with new tires, sometimes it'll go away, could be a wheel, etc. I dont have a whole lot of time to figure all of that out.

If anyone knows a good tire shop in the Long beach area, let me know. Just thinking of last resort if I have to spend more money to solve this.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts