Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any new reports on cooper AT3s? I am looking at the P265 75 R16. The over all claim is that people love them but a few folks said they got noisy with age and/or were hard to balance. I am very particular about front end alignment and have a great shop who does it for $50. So that may cure any issues of noise or cupping

I have always been a huge fan of Terra Grapplers on my past trucks. I have had excellent traction off-road (what little I do), tire life, ride, wet weather, no flats, very little noise.

I had some ATRs on a work truck and I don't really remember much about them....I think that's a good thing. I am leaning this way because they are an American company and have a plant 2hrs away in Texarkana. You never know whose job you might save.

I really want to get the coopers but it is very hard to stray away from the Terra Grapplers.

What say you?

·
on line
386 Posts
I have been running the AT3's since March this year LT 265 75 R16 in load range C. I purchased them from Discount Tire and the largest balance weight on a tire is just under 2 ounces while the rest are around 1 oz each.

The tires ride and track well and are very quiet for an AT. They are quieter than BFG AT KO's.

Since I have only had the tires a short time I can not speak for wear or if they will get noisier as they wear down.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
ive had them since september and they have been pretty good to me thus far offroad they handle great, I only had a little snow but no issues, the highway I have a slight vibration but im just too lazy to get them rebalanced. I decided to repaint my rims so I threw off the original balancing. I think im around 10,000 with and happy with them I will buy them again for my other truck when the time comes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
primerhb55- So it was just the repainting that threw off the balance? Or was it like that from the get go?

Also how do they effect handling/power. Do they "feel" heavier than a stock tire? I know this is an odd question but I have had larger/more aggressive tires before and it was really felt in the handling characteristics i.e... does the truck still feel quick and light or does it "feel" more sluggish?

·
on line
515 Posts
Bought a used X that has these tires. They seem to have worn evenly and from the Carfax they were installed 15k ago. My estimate is that they will probably last to 35-40k with the tread remaining.

Rain and road traction has been excellent. They are among the quietest off-road tires I've driven on, similar to the Desty ATs. Off road they do well in light mud, soggy grass, whatever. Waiting for winter to test them in the snow, that will decide if I stay with them for the next set.

Oh, mine are 265/70R17s, the previous owner +1 over the standard SE size.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The at3 seems to be a good tire. I went with the ATP over the AT3 because the tread pattern looked like it would channel water better. They have proven to do amazingly well in the rain. Way better than my Dest A/Ts did, but I was never very impressed with their wet performance. They have a lot of siping (like the at3) so they also do well in the snow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
1,113 Posts
yeah the vibrations were only after repainting, the handling feels about the same acceleration is better I have the 265 size and they feel about the same weight as the factory bfg's

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had these for over a year, they are quiet and handle off road duties just fine. In the winter I could barely tell I was driving on snow. When these wear out I will be buying another set. Definitely recommend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts