Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just noticed today before leaving work a puddle of coolant on the driver side front are of the motor near (looks to be behind) the ac compressor . I put my coolant pressure kit on it after adding a half gallon of coolant amd no leak . I drove it home (6 min commute ) and she is dripping out fast . Its running off the left front corner of the upper oil pan . I cant see anything untill i remove my engine skid .

Any suggestions before I bring it into work early in the morning and remove my skid plates to g et better access ?? Is there a freeze plug behind the ac compressor ? My guess its that .

Damn why is it always happen before I am about to go wheeling. Shocker run it was a bad abs sensor now this .:violent1:

Need to fix this before the nexterra fools run .

·
on line
6,064 Posts
Does it dump coolant after you turn off the truck, or slowly leak out while driving?

My water pump went bad, and when I'd shut of the X, it would dump coolant. While driving not so much

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did leak more with the truck off could not see while driving . Weird as it did not leak when i put pressure tool on it . Then again the motor was cold . I live 3 miles from work so the motor did reach operating temp and when i pulled in to my parking spot at home it was dripping out fast. I wont know for sure until i remove the skid plate . Prob from all the warm weather then right back to freezing cold brings out the coolant system leaks lol. We have been seeing alot of radiators leaking lately at my shop and water pumps too ! Gota love when the wewther changes :angry5:
This sucks .

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i had a similar issue, I thought it was an over pressurized issue, I had that 2 years ago with a bad head gasket. Just turned out it was a leak in the rad. Covered under extended warranty, and now i don't have to worry about the SMOD!!

·
on line
81 Posts
I recently replaced the small hose coming off the thermostat that goes to the oil cooler because there was a small leak in it. It is a small dimension hose that is right blow the larger hose that goes to the bottom of the radiator. Because of everything in the way, (fan belt, fan shroud, large hose) I only noticed that was where the leak was coming when I went to replace my fan clutch and had all of that other stuff removed. There was a lot of green crust built up below the thermostat that I just could not see. The thermostat is on the drivers side front of the engine, so that area might be your culprit.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ Bingo thirmistat housing !! Thank god it was not a freeze plug !!
Thanks for input fellas

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coolant leak is back ! Getting sick if this !!!!!!. Same area thirmistat looks dry . It doing the same thing again ..only leaks when it sits this time its worse . Cant see where but seems to be the driver side . Ofcourse i dont have access to my shop lift right now . Romoved my engine skid but no luck . My bully dog says the coolant temp is sitting at 218 with the AC fan on and the truck is parked and coolant level full . Now there is a bit a pressure building in the over flow tank could maybe be a thrimistat issue or worse case a leaking head gasket . Ive checked the radiator fins they seem to be free of mud so the air is moving threw it.

Reporting back in a few hours see if i can find something .

I swear i will sell this truck if this keeps up :mad::mad::mad:

·
on line
81 Posts
218 is really high. Mine runs 190 when it is at temperature. Keep in mind, you need to check the coolant level when the engine is cold and just started. If the engine sucks all of the fluid out of the reservoir tank when it starts cold, you are low on coolant. After the engine heats up, you start to get fluid dumped back into the reservoir tank due to just plain expansion and circulation, but you have a large air bubble inside the engine and heater core. When you turn the engine off after it is hot, this fluid stays in the reservoir tank as the engine cools, but isn't a true measure of your fluid level.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks epor Coolant leve seems to be ok both cool and hot . But when the truck shuts of the temp spikes up building a ton of pressure up and making something leak . No when I had a coolant leak before it was a thermostat housing gasket . I changed the thermostat and gasket with a aftermaket one could be the issue or not. I also used a airlift to pull the coolant system into vacume to prevent air being trapped . Truck was fine for almost 2 months now. I dont smell exhaust in the overflow tank but i cant rule out HG yet until i use the co2 tester . I guess might toss a oem thermostat in it tomorrow at work . Still running at the moment and temp still resting at between 214-218 fans are cycling on and off.

·
on line
81 Posts
I only learned about checking the coolant when it was cold this year, and I have had the thing for 8 years now. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

Not sure what else to tell you. OEM thermostat's are pretty cheap. I think I got mine from the dealer for about $30. But if the thermostat is dry, I am not sure where else it would be coming from.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks yea the thermostat is dry the so what ever is leaking is running down the front corner of the oil pan down onto the skid plate . Cant seem to trace it up to the sourceof the leak . Ive seen before on a pathfinder when the truck cools down the heater hose on the driver side would leak around near the squeeze clamp when the truck cools down . This could be the case here but again its not leaking at the moment . For now I will just shut it off to let it cool and see if it starts leaking in the area its been leaking from. Temp right now is spiking over 220 on the bully dog with key on engine off . Hoses are rock hard

This all started today when me and the wife were out at the park . When we came back to the truck is when i noticed the leak. There was abiut a 1/3 gallon coolant on the ground where i was parked and the truck was sitting for about 2.5 hrs so i added water to drive home and then parked it to let it cool down and find the leak.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I orderd up a oem thermostat, radiator hoses and both radiator caps ..a complete makeover for the coolant system . Should be done tomorrow and I will update .. Also did a Co2 test nothing found so the HG is ok .I still cant find the source of the leak on the driver side but my guess is the heater hose is the culprit seems to be wet near that spot . Im also going to replace the heater hoses on the driver side too and flush the coolant system completely.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok this is another question maybe some of you can chime in . I got two new stant radiator caps one for the overflow and one for the radiator itself . The radiator cap they sent is spring loaded pressure type and the one on the truck is not its just a cap to seal the neck itself. Now i called nissan to check with a tech over there and he said they should both be spring preasure caps and nissan had a TSB to replace the radiator cap itself with a spring cap . So i hopped on the computer to look up the TSPs on Mitchells nothing . Now when i google it it links me to a tittan forum where they say the same thing replace with a spring loaded cap . :scratch::scratch: i happen to have a 06 pathfinder same type of coolant and overflow tank system and it has a spring loaded radiator cap on the radiator !!!:scratch::scratch:

Maybe someone can chime in on this take a peak at your radiator caps. My parts suppliers are saying the only list a spring-loaded cap .

This 2006 pathfinder has a oem pressure cap not aftermarket ...
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks buldozer . Just trying to see if at some point nissan started putting spring pressure caps on the radiator for the Xterras . I dont know why they would use them for the pathfinders if they share the same type of cooling system . Again all my parts suppliers we use at my shop only list aspring pressure cap for the radiator itself . :scratch::scratch: . Let me see what the part department a nissan lists as I only talked to my freind whos a nissan tech at the local dealership we get parts from.

·
on line
437 Posts
My 08 is sprung only on the expansion tank. I have seen posts on here a few times where people have swapped them and had issues with boilover and coolat leakage.

·
on line
81 Posts
According to the FSM, the resovior tank cap should relieve pressure between 14 and 17 PSI. The radiator cap does not have a pressure relief. Not sure why the pathfinder would have a different setup.

They are also very different part numbers on parts.nissanusa.com
21430 - CAP ASSYRADIATOR Part Number: 21430-1P107 Year range 2/2009 to 8/2010
21430 - CAP ASSYRADIATOR Part Number: 21430-C991A Year range 8/2010 to 8/2011

21516 - CAPRESERVOIR TANK Part Number: 21430-1P111 Year range 7/2008 to 8/2010

CHECKING RESERVOIR CAP
1. Inspect the reservoir cap.
• Replace the cap if the metal plunger cannot be seen around the edge of the black rubber gasket.
• Replace the cap if deposits of waxy residue or other foreign material are on the black rubber gasket or
the metal retainer.
NOTE:
Thoroughly wipe out the reservoir filler neck to remove any waxy residue or foreign material.

2. Pull the negative-pressure valve to open it and check that it
closes completely when released.
• Check that there is no dirt or damage on the valve seat of the
reservoir cap negative-pressure valve.
• Check that there are no abnormalities in the opening and closing
conditions of the negative-pressure valve.

3. Check reservoir cap relief pressure using suitable tool and Tool.
Standard: 98 – 118 kPa (1.0 – 1.2 kg/cm2, 14 – 17 psi)
NOTE:
• Apply engine coolant to the cap seal surface.
• Replace the reservoir cap if there is any damage in the negative-
pressure valve, or if the open-valve pressure is outside of
the limit.

CHECKING RADIATOR CAP
Inspect the radiator cap.
NOTE:
Thoroughly wipe out the radiator filler neck to remove any waxy residue or foreign material.
• Replace the cap if deposits of waxy residue or other foreign material are on the black rubber gasket or the
metal retainer.

·
on line
951 Posts
No spring on my 06 either. It's a direct flow to the puke tank, plus coolant circulates through the tank when the truck is running.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
My 05 has a spring cap on the tank, non-spring on the radiator. I took them both off once and didn't pay attention. I could not get the spring one to fit on the radiator.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts