Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok over spring break i was wheeling outside of phoenix, and on one of the rock/hill climbs i noticed somehthing.. i was half way up the climb.. kinda steep.. but first off i was stable.. the truck was in park and sitting still.. i was trying to sit up and look out the window to make sure i was clear of a big rock but i couldnt sit up. my seat belt was locked. i hadnt jerked on it or pulled it to its stop or anthing but it was just locked.. i unbuckeled and let it fully retract and tried to pull it down and it was still locked... the second i crested the hill, my belt was back to normal..
so im pretty sure Nissan has an inclinometer in the belt locking system, preventing the belt to be fed out if the car is at a steep angle..
just a cool saifty feature :bounce:

·
on line
429 Posts
Or, as you found out, a pain in the but when you try to look out the window. Also, why's it need to lock when you're going UP hill?

I just think the automatic locking mechanism is very sensitive.

·
on line
348 Posts
the pendulum inside the mechanism is meant to swing in an impact. when it swings it locks the belt. on a high incline or decline this pendulum would mimic what it would do in a crash.

·
on line
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mike o, thats exactly what i figured was the case after i posted...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts