Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have seen that before and I think it was even posted before. I don't know if it would actually work with our wheels.

There was one can mount that actually strapped to the tire it's self. It actually looked pretty sturdy. It was also a more universal mount so you could use a number of cans. I'll see if I can find it again.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: If the X rear bumper, had one more bolt/frame about 3" forward on each side, for the bumper attachment , then It might be strong enough !!!

--But, I think, by adding another 45/55 lbs to the already strained ONE HINGE BOLT, that swings the spare tire carrier, you would be putting too much HUNG-OUT WEIGHT --

--JUST A THOUGHT --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That one huge bolt is larger than most hinges on rear tire carriers though. I think it could take the strain, especially since the gate stays closed most of the time, the weight is distributed on both sides at that point.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Yea Muzic, you are talking about the Shrockworks swingaway, not the POS Calmini-like mine--

--Perhaps, a discussion with Mr. Shrake, would clear it up--

--Even so, with a LARGE 1" bolt, thats still a lot of suspended (torsional)weight with the HINGE and WELDS, being the fulcrum--

--Time will tell, I wouldn't do it-

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
What I would be more fearful of than the swing away hinge bolt would be the three little lug bolts holding the tire and can on. But even there, we are only talking the weight of 5 gallons of gas.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Look, this isn't worth arguing about, but we're not talking about The jerry can/gas/tire/rim /plate/lugs/, you're talking about upwards of115 lbs, TOTAL--

--THATS NOT VERTICAL WEIGHT !!! ESPECIALLY ON BUMPS/POTHOLES/BACKING-UP BRAKES--it's TORSIONAL WEIGHT NOT VERTICAL--I QUIT !!

-- :geek: :geek: --jimbo

·
on line
15,651 Posts
115lb is NOT going to bust a 1" grade 8 bolt. No how, No way. I don't think you are going to bend the 2"+ Box channel that that tire carrier is made out of and I am pretty sure the welds will hold.

If I can not add another 40lbs to the Shrockworks tire carrier, I would be shocked, bumps or not.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Good example.

no, it's not a Shrock bumper, but to be honest, the hinge on this bumper is no where near the quality of the Shrock.

That is 34" Swamper on a steel wheel, 5 gallons of gas and a hi-lift. It's been like that for 4-5 years without an issue.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Did you forget ???

--I said I QUIT, I wouldn't do it and TIME WILL TELL !!!

--There is no justificsation required, for this "MOD" if your not worried about it, YOU DO IT !!

--Good day--JIMBO

1 - 20 of 34 Posts