Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I've searched high and low to no avail. Anyone knows of any issues converting tubeless wheels to run tubes?

I have tubes in my LR and it's sweet for airing down low w/o fear of needing a beadlock.

I think the only caveat is to have the tire mounter use baby powder to remedy abrasion issues.

·
on line
105 Posts
Make sure you get a radial tire tube. Other than that, no issues. I would suggest going to a tire shop that works on trucks or trailers and is familiar with installing tubes... it is getting to be a lost art.

Last month I replaced the 40 year old 7.00x16 military tires on my M416 trailer with 215/75-16 radials. Since it has a riveted 2-piece wheels, I had to install tubes. When I asked the guys at Discount Tire about installing a tube in a tubeless tire they looked at me like I was from Mars.

regards,

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willyswan said:
Make sure you get a radial tire tube. Other than that, no issues. I would suggest going to a tire shop that works on trucks or trailers and is familiar with installing tubes... it is getting to be a lost art.

Last month I replaced the 40 year old 7.00x16 military tires on my M416 trailer with 215/75-16 radials. Since it has a riveted 2-piece wheels, I had to install tubes. When I asked the guys at Discount Tire about installing a tube in a tubeless tire they looked at me like I was from Mars.

regards,
Yeah, I had 'Big O" tires here in Ca. mount my LR tubed wheels - One of the 'old' guys still knew what was up.

THANKS! Confirms what I thought

·
on line
358 Posts
Other than loosing the TPMS the tubes should just drop in. They make tubes with valve stems that have have ridges in them to alow traped air out. The "right" tube will have these ridges and the stem will be small enough to slide in the the existing hole. DO NOT ALLOW A SHOP TO DRILL OUT THE HOLE FOR A BIGGER STEM!!! There is no need to do this.

Caution! The ridges also allow water it seep into the rim which can cause a steel rim to rust. Been there, seen it!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I tried that 35 years ago and it's a great idea, but--

--Every time you air down your tires for sand/snow/rocks-whatever, you will compromise the tire balance and CHAFE the valve stem, causing tube failure at some point during its life--

--Sorry, but I would never do it to my hiway capable vehicle !!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JIMBO said:
--Every time you air down your tires for sand/snow/rocks-whatever, you will compromise the tire balance and CHAFE the valve stem, causing tube failure at some point during its life--
Great point about the balancing; something to consider - about the stem see previous post.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Kahuna said:
I have tubes in my LR and it's sweet for airing down low w/o fear of needing a beadlock.
Has anyone tried to put a beadlock onto a stock Xterra S rim? Is it doable?

·
on line
358 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have had my 285/75R16's on a 7" wheel aired down to 8psi without a problem (I air them down to 15psi every time I wheel).

I have had my 35/12.50x15 on a 8" wheel aired down to 5psi (that was a lot of sidewall bulge) with no problem with the bead. These tires usually get aired down to 10-15psi, depending on how lazy I am (my Staun deflators are set to 15psi).

Unless you are competition crawling, I am not sold on the idea that you need beadlocks.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Muzik's got it right, too many times, you will air-down TOO MUCH, either you don't know, or someone else is doing it--

--When you air-down, you lose about 1" of ground clearance for every10 lbs press. and your air-down guide should be your LOAD RATING of the tire , the flexier the side wall, the less chance of bead blow--

--A blown bead is not CATASTROPHE, a cinch strap or ENGINE starter fluid and (match) , will solve that, course you need a Hilift and compressor, but we all have that-RIGHT ??

-=- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts