Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· on line
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Xterra OR with 55k miles. It is my daily driver but I travel a lot for work so it has lower mileage and is in good condition. My use is 80% - 90% with occasional offroad use going to hunting or fishing spots. I typically don't carry a lot of extra weight during day to day use. I've recently measured my heights and I'm at 34.75 front (with 1/4 in leveling spacer) and 35.50 in the rear. Based on these measurements, I think my suspension is still in ok shape.

I've been getting the itch for a lift and am thinking about the ADO Koni 82 kit with medium springs for the front and the Koni shocks with an AAL for the rear. I'm leaning AAL for the rear based on the fact it appears my springs are still in good shape and also because I don't want a heavy spring that will make the ride rough. Even the medium springs appear designed for extra weight in the rear.

I would appreciate any opinions on if I should do it, or leave it alone as is. I would like to retain or be similiar to the stock ride and at this time, plan to keep my 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultraterrains.

Thanks,

Rick

· Registered
68 Posts
I was in a similar boat especially with the sales going on right now. In my reading I've only found one member here who had the ADO Koni lift installed and he wasn't too pleased with the ride quality on the road. In ADO's own video they describe the Bilsteins as better for "highway commutes" and Konis for "rough roads" to summarize. Ride quality is highly subjective but many old threads have the advice to stick the Bilstein 4600s or 5100s (not on the highest circlip setting) and call it a day if you want to maintain a similar to stock ride.

· Registered
212 Posts
I have Rancho Quicklifts (+2.75") and Rancho 9000 series rear Frontier rear shocks for extended length. Also more to your point, did OME leafs, hard option, which was a pretty stuff setup. So I added 1" lift shackles which softened up the rear leafs to a really comfy ride and ended up lifting the rear 2.75" also.

Advantage is adjustable damping all the way around. No real disadvantages as of yet.

Either way the factory springs were basically shot at 70k miles for me and many others. I'd looks to replace the leaf spring pack 100% rather than AAL.

· Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I replaced my stock leafs with Old Man Emu medium stiffness. I found them too stiff for my loads and off-road but on the road they were great. I changed rear shocks to Bilstein 5165 at the same time. After 1-2 months I added adjustable shackles which raised it 1-2” more but my main purpose was to soften the rear off-road. It helped enough to notice.

AAL work for some people. Not same as new leaf springs. Your changes will make it different, maybe better maybe same. My change wasn’t terrible but others have experienced a terrible change with “affordable” solutions.

· Registered
24 Posts
Tro to reach to ado directly. I did and was similar to what your asking. I pull a camper, boat or my Enduro on a hitch carrier.

They suggested the billstein over the koni for me.

Best of luck. Time to gut now while on sale, if you're going to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts