Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few minutes to kill the other day and was leafing through this magazine.

First I was kinda surprised to find the X classed as a "small" SUV.

Then the kicker is that the Xterra gets a generally bad review and is "not recommended." :scratch: :mad:

Faaack, I just my X and don't think it is that bad. By far the biggest issue has been the lack of dealer PDI prior to my picking up the vehicle.

Comments?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yep, MPG will be an ongoing rating killer and everything is going front and rear independent suspension for that car like freeway ride and control. (Note Subaru on cover.)

Higher ratings for the X will be had when some level of tough duty is factored in conjunction with a decent ride, relatively good cargo capacity and good overall utility. Tough duty factors such as off roading, towing, and general utilitarian abuse move it into exceptional range IMO..

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The reasons for their dislike of the X were basically rough ride and mpg. Sorry to burst your bubble but the X is small. Ever sit in the back? Cargo area is minimal as well. I guess large is relative. Someone coming from a Yaris will think the X is large. Someone with a minivan or other SUV's will say it is small.. Actually the dimensions are similar to a Subaru Outbacks' I had an 04 and the X is basically the same interior and cargo.

Had a few minutes to kill the other day and was leafing through this magazine.

First I was kinda surprised to find the X classed as a "small" SUV.

Then the kicker is that the Xterra gets a generally bad review and is "not recommended." :scratch: :mad:

Faaack, I just my X and don't think it is that bad. By far the biggest issue has been the lack of dealer PDI prior to my picking up the vehicle.

Comments?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Who cares what a magazine says? If you like the vehicle, great regardless of the review. If the vehicle is a good size for you, great regardless of the fact it's a small SUV. If you are not happy with it, consider buying something else.

Ultimately, the magazine is trying to sell subscriptions and will print what the masses want to hear. We know the Xterra is not a vehicle for the masses based on the sales figures so the fact it isn't recommended is to be expected. I'm happy with my Xterra but I can see why other people wouldn't be and it doesn't change my happiness with mine.

·
on line
3,171 Posts
I agree that the X is small. Yes it can be taller than most cars, especially with a lift kit, but it's narrow and not very long. Also as mentioned above me, the back seats are only for small children.

I mean, it's great for 1 or 2 people going on a camping trip or something, but I wouldn't take 3-4 people and all the equipment, food, water etc on a 1 or 2 week-long camping trip in the X... Not unless I tow a small trailer for extra cargo space.

In Europe, my Xterra is larger than most vehicles, by a lot. But there are plenty of BMWs, Audis and other SUVs that are just as big or bigger than my Xterra. Again, mine might sit taller and have beefier tires, but when sitting next to one of the larger SUV's, it just makes the Xterra look like the tall scrawny kid.

To me, I see the Xterra as being the perfect vehicle to fill the void between a Jeep and a larger SUV. More cargo space than a Jeep (Not counting the JGC), more capable than a mall-crawling Escalade-type SUV...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
CR always puts the fun stuff last. Subarus are trendy, so of course they go on the cover.

My problem with that magazine cover is that the Outback is a CAR, not an SUV.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
CR only matters as much as an individual wants it to matter. My X gets me where I want to go and carries what I need for the trip, that's what matters to me.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I love me X, it now isn't my DD so MPG don't matter.....only used for wheeling, camping, road trips and when the weather is bad (which is not very often).
The only sad thing about that report IMHO is the fact that it gets people thinking, and potentially steers would be buyers away.
The marketing for X is the ****s as it is and with bad publicity it'll be a matter of time before we see our beloved trucks fade away :-/

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I haven't read it lately to see if they have changed their mind but when I was shopping for the Xterra they disliked the jeep wrangler too. For sheeple taking their kids to school the X and the Wrangler aren't the best choice (X is a bit better on road safety features). Most sheeple don't know how 4WD works. Hell.. on US news and world report the have the new Cherokee #1, the Xterra at #9 and the wrangler #14. The best stock off road vehicle is #14 in the off road list. Go figure. link

I'll take my body on frame, rough riding, 6 speed manual, ninja hauler, overland vehicle over those wanna be SUV any day. Ok.. I wouldn't mind a few more mpg but who wouldn't? I know my minivan would. That POS gets worse then my X and it is rated higher. 25 highway my ass. Anyway....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I think the X size is great for off roading. I wouldn't want to take a Yukon off-road...wait yes I would. :p . And whats with the subaru bashing. My first car was a 88 sub wagon 4wd. If I get another car Subaru is high on my list.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have owned 2 Subaru... 3 if you count my parents old GL. I know people love their Subarus and they are decent vehicles. I particularly like that the still offer manual transmission even in their flagship wagon... But I don't like driving them. I don't know what it is. 2003 WRX bugeye rally blue. I loved to look at it. I never liked driving it. :dontknow:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I haven't read it lately to see if they have changed their mind but when I was shopping for the Xterra they disliked the jeep wrangler too. For sheeple taking their kids to school the X and the Wrangler aren't the best choice (X is a bit better on road safety features)...
This, I think, nails it. Consumer Reports is solidly middle-of-the-road on just about everything -- which is OK if you need a new refrigerator or microwave.

But cars? Well, not if you're an enthusiast. My Audi allroad was the best all-around vehicle ever, but CR didn't like it; my Honda S2000 was an outstanding roadster (especially if you factor in the price), but CR didn't like it. That they don't like the X is simply more of the same.

And, to be fair the them, how many of their readers really want (let alone need) the capabilities of the X? As grocery-getters go, it's pretty over-designed, after all. That little task is why we got a small Subaru for our other vehicle. HPH

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The reasons for their dislike of the X were basically rough ride and mpg. Sorry to burst your bubble but the X is small. Ever sit in the back? Cargo area is minimal as well. I guess large is relative. Someone coming from a Yaris will think the X is large. Someone with a minivan or other SUV's will say it is small.. Actually the dimensions are similar to a Subaru Outbacks' I had an 04 and the X is basically the same interior and cargo.
No bubble burst here dude.. to be p.c. These are personal spheres of appreciation..

Cargo capacity.. Yea, this one is relative. For me I prefer the small SUV to park, maneuver and just fit in my garage lifted with bumpers and a tire carrier. the vertical height of the interior, while not fuel efficient creates space to fill with stuff. . When I purchased it i noted it was outer dimensionally smaller than a RAV4.. I didn't want a RAV4.. as far as other tough choices I would consider (at least 1 solid axle) the 4 door pickups are too long and Wranglers are real small, expensive and for me less comfortable..

Rough ride, yea, mines a little rougher with aftermarket coilovers and leaf springs... that's the all around independent suspension cushy ride counter.. Fine if that's what you want..

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I saw the same thing. They also rate the Fronty as highly recommended "best buy" - and the Fronty is more or less the same vehicle with a box.

So, I am sure when rated as a crossover the X does poorly, because its not a crossover. There is no category left for the X. The X and the Wrangler, you could maybe argue the 4 Runner, are the only ones left - unless you want to spend 80K.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts