Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some measurements (L x W x H) off of their Coleman or Yakima rack. I am going to go to Home Depot and see what this may end up costing me.

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
USArmyX said:
Nope... but I have now, thanks.
Now you have to admit, that guys rack left something to be desidered. but, I think if you really work at it, you should be able to make a PVC copy of either rack that is just as strong, if not stronger.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Yeah, I have wondered if it's possible using the right thickness of PVC. Plus you wouldn't have the rust issues that the coleman has and could make it low profile.

Needless to say, I probably won't be trying this at all.

Maybe I should use allumiloy, hmm

http://durafix.com/index.html

:geek:

or maybe not

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old Navy said:
USArmyX said:
Nope... but I have now, thanks.
Now you have to admit, that guys rack left something to be desidered. but, I think if you really work at it, you should be able to make a PVC copy of either rack that is just as strong, if not stronger.
It was just something I was thinking of while sitting on the couch. I think if you use short pieces of PVC with a lot of fittings, it could be fairly strong, and light. I couldn't find the right kind of Elbow fitting at the Home Depot though. If I come across it and haven't yet bought one of the metal types, I might give it a try. My initial estimates put it at costing less than 40 dollars, quite a bit of work non difficult to build though.

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mcampana said:
Whats wrong with the coleman roof basket?
Nothing, as far as I can tell, I was just bored and thinking of something I could do cheaply and be useful, but I'm going to put it on hold for now.

·
TNX Administrator
20,357 Posts
mcampana said:
I read thos eposts Navy. And i have yet to see those problems with mine.
Sorry, didn't mean to pi$$, (thos eposts), you off. But I still say it is a good idea, if we can find all the required connectings, angles, ect. Think of it as an engineering and/or art project. So the big question is;

"Can it be done??"

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I like the coleman rack but want one that is low profile and sits inside my the side bars. The extra 5 or 6 inches it too high for me. There is one in the how to built out of aluminum that looks sweet but it was welded and me no weld.

I still think PVC is a bad idea.

Oh and mcampana, quit being pissed off :geek:

·
on line
15,651 Posts
PVC also has the same problem when it's cold. It gets very brittle.

PVC is not a structural material. It's designed to carry fluid.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
I am with lostboy that a rack of some sort that can sit between the side bars would be great. I deal with parking structures all the time and having to pull up slowly to see the height restriction is a PITA. (I have the coleman rack on full time)

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/lockbox/146.html

I found this online and even though it is a box, something similiar without a cover would be kinda cool to have.

I also thought about creating one using the crossbars. The hard part is that I want the bottom to sit a fraction of an inch above the roof to avoid any kind of scratching so basically all the weight would be supported by however I decide to connect my rack to my crossbars and sidebars.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think it was "Life in the South" who built a really nice basket out of aluminum that sits below the rack. It was such as great idea I was going to copy it.

·
on line
612 Posts
^^ X2 once I get some of that damn time that is so rare I'll be doing the same thing, only trying to come up w/ a better way to mount to the side rails... any ideas?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
lifeinthesouth needs to start fabricating those and open up a paypal account. i am sure we could work something out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts