Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine suggested that I look into an Xterra as my next purchase.

Quite frankly, I'm still all over the place from MINI to Jeep Wrangler. I'm coming from a 12 year old 3/4 ton pickup with a V-10, so I'm used to power, size and $100 fill ups. I'm looking to downsize, not real sure if I want to give up a 4x4 or not. Would like to at least double my fuel economy (at 9mpg, that isn't too hard) and I need something that is going to be kid friendly.

I did stop my my local dealer and took an off-road version for a test. Seemed like a nice ride, but it's tough to really get to know a vehicle in a 10 minute spin around the block.

I've been searching for a few hours now, but several things still need a definitive answer.

1) What kind of real world fuel mileage are people getting?

2) Will an Xterra really wheel with the best of them?

3) What options really are not worth the $$?

4) Any real issues with the vehicle that seems to be common? (they all have them, just would like to know ahead of time)

5) I have a winch from my Jeep days. Never did get around to putting it on the pickup. Is a winch install on an Xterra a big deal?

6) Is it reasonable to expect 10+ years out this vehicle?

Thanks.

·
on line
14,014 Posts
1) Stock, they get around 17 mpg city and around 24 mpg highway. Once you start the mods like bigger tires, etc it only goes down. I'm running 33's and get about 230-260 miles per tank.

2) I have run into NO issues when it comes to wheeling. From power to performance to trail ability I can't complain. Again, w/ more mods comes more off-road capability (as in any other 4X4 in my opinion).

3) I would say get the bare essentials; power windows/locks, tow package, utility and safety packages, and of course 4X4. All the other factory extras like stereo and running boards are all gonna be swapped out eventually if you're a true mod-addict (like 99% of the guys on here).

4) Search the forums for major issues, so far I've noticed the diffs having to be replaced and the window motors giving out.

5) You're gonna need an aftermarket bumper (Shrockworks, Calmini) in order to put on the winch.

6) I'm expecting 100+ years outta my X!

Talk to ANY guy here, we all LOVE this truck!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
1) What kind of real world fuel mileage are people getting?
In city driving going stoplight to stoplight I get 14.5 mpg, on the highway 24 - even with all my armor and bigger tires.

2) Will an Xterra really wheel with the best of them?
Define the best? This thing will go into places where many fear to tread! It's not a balls-to-the-wall rock crawler but it's a whole lot more than 95% of the other SUV's out there.

3) What options really are not worth the $$?
There aren't many options - I wouldn't take the step rails :)

4) Any real issues with the vehicle that seems to be common? (they all have them, just would like to know ahead of time)
There are some here who have blown their Dana 44 locking rear differentials. The only one that I know who blew his was abusing the thing massively - driving it around for hours and hours before it gave out.

5) I have a winch from my Jeep days. Never did get around to putting it on the pickup. Is a winch install on an Xterra a big deal?
Ain't gonna fit on the stock bumper - will likely drop right into a nice Shrock bumper. They use the standard 4.5x10" mounting and will fit a 12000 pound winch with integrated relay.

6) Is it reasonable to expect 10+ years out this vehicle?
There are plenty of first generation X's in our club still wheeling the heck out of them. They're starting to show their age though.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and I almost forgot the most important question of all.....

Which color is fastest? (^_^)

·
on line
316 Posts
Solar Yellow, Red Braun, Arctic White, Midnight Blue, Canteen, Night Armor, Super Black.
Take your pick...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
The diffs have been a bigger problem than Paul describes, IMO. It's a weak link, although I wheel hard and often so far without incident. Like lots of potential problems with a vehicle, it's hit or miss.

I love my MT but the clutch isn't all it should be. No aftermarket yet.

The evap cannister vents absurdly into the rear driver's wheel well. There's now a Nissan TSB that addresses the problem (the valve clogs) with a filter, so no big deal.

Loaded especially, it bottoms in the rear. Plenty of fixes, Timbrens bumps among them, but none better than new shocks and leafs (or AAL) of course.

My real world gas mileage is closer to 20 highway, lower now with my numerous mods.

With Shrockworks bumpers and armor, coupled with better shocks and springs, new bumps and the like, the X, although not a solid axle wonder in the rocks, is excellent off road. But if you're gonna run a winch and the heavy bumper necessary to house it, you're gonna want some better coilovers in the front.

And the one "option" that's indispensable IMO is the Offroad edition, with the rear locker, not to mention hill descent/clutch start. And personally, if I had kids especially, I'd go for every airbag I could get. Safety rating-wise the X is so-so without the side air bags, near the top with.

Finally, on road and off, the X has plenty of power and handles better than most any other SUV or pick-up, seriously. When there's a new ring and pinion I'll buy it, but it crawls pretty darn well out of the box and has plenty of torque for the slow stuff, not to mention the ramp on to the freeway. For the money, it's a fantstic ride.

·
on line
641 Posts
Quit asking questions and get it already! :) I got my '08 Off-Road last week and I am loving it so far. Of course, I am not getting the 24mpg that others are claiming but there is a reason for it....it's a brand new engine and it's not "broken-in" yet. Whatever gas my dealer put in there, I got an average of 15.2mpg. I'm expecting it to go up.

As for color, my personal preference: either Yellow or Super Black.

·
on line
316 Posts
I use 85 octane all the time since im up here in rocky mountain high and it runs like a striped ass ape!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts