Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright .... I admit it, I'm a newbe to xterra. We have been considering a new 4-door rubicon and for various reasons have started looking at the xterra. Saw an '08 offroad last night on the stealers lot and thought it might work for us. We will use the xterra as a toad behind a diesel motorhome for the most part. Probably will see some passes in CO next year and some hills in PA and NC. Will not be a daily driver as that is what cars are for (imho).

So what is up with all these problems with the axles? I haven't seen any one swapping in a 9" for the rear? why?
Please excuse my ignorance, but why is the front swap with something alittle heavier duty such a problem?

Last question ..... should I go back to the Rubicon? or buy the xterra and a long warranty?

Thanks

·
on line
576 Posts
I'd get the Rubicon if it isn't going to be a daily driver. As for swapping something else for the front diff I'm quite sure people would if there was an after market option but to the best of my knowledge there isn't other than a SAS.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
sdhexpert said:
So what is up with all these problems with the axles? I haven't seen any one swapping in a 9" for the rear? why?
Please excuse my ignorance, but why is the front swap with something alittle heavier duty such a problem?

Last question ..... should I go back to the Rubicon? or buy the xterra and a long warranty?

Thanks
Wow... that's a lot of questions.

There have been some Ford 9" swaps (you must be a Ford guy stepping outside the fold for the very first time) by a couple of our SAS'd rig members. This also serves as a seque of sorts into your next question about "a front swap with something a little heavier duty". The Xterra has Independent Front Suspension (with a differential center section and two CV axle shafts), not a solid axle like the Jeep Rubicon. Anytime you do a solid axle swap you're cutting out the vehicle's IFS subframe and basically designing a new suspension from the ground up, which obviously isn't for the novice.

You can swap in the IFS differential from a Nissan Titan, but that will be very costly and will require you to make some changes to the vehicle that your average consumer wouldn't want to live with.

I'm not sure I can answer your question for you. Obviously the Jeep will be a little more trail ready out-of-the-box, with it's sold front axle and better articulation up front. But it doesn't sound to me like you're going to be doing anything that a stock Xterra couldn't handle as well, and the Xterra will be much more street friendly and fun to drive. I'd say go drive them both, and buy the one you like the most.

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OregonX,
Thanks for the reply. You pegged me correctly I am a Ford guy. I started this search to replace a pretty tricked out early bronco. Now that we have kids, the bronco is/was not safe/reliable/comfortable enough for towing behind the coach and hauling the kids through the brush. We looked at the xterra because my wife is not to excited about the soft-top on the jeep (safety) and the $ saved with the offroad xterra buys alot of accessories. I just can't believe Nissan has produced such a otherwise attractive vehicle with such axle issues. Further it is surprising there aren't a number of enterprising individuals with a solution to these problems. I'm sure the rear axle is a no brainier, with a currie or dynatrac solution, but no real (reasonably priced) solution to the front is unbeliveable.

Sorry to see what happened to the Ducks this year (almost got my O hat out of the closet) ..... I'm a Beaver fan but was still hoping they would finish higher.

·
on line
735 Posts
Part of the axle problem is the new lug pattern and the abs code wheel is part of the whole vehicle dynamic system. The dana 44 diff is standard issue but with a new high spline axle count. Titan guys have been putting detroit true-trac lsds in theirs (with good durability) since the side gears are weak on the e-lock factory variant. The rear end is stout (for a 6 cyl truck), it has just been side gear issues mainly.

as far as the front end...well, a lot of it has to do with the proprietary lug pattern and the fact that the old style hubs can't be fit to the new X. if the old axles would fit, then so would the old cast iron diff etc... The V8 pathfinder uses a titan gear set stuffed into a modified r180 housing..if gears become available, that might be ok.

The Xterra is a good semi-capable 4x4 and a fine road wagon. I would recommend it for your needs if you will keep the stock tire size on it and not run it too hard offroad.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
you know, i gotta say that as a previous jeep owner and now an xterra owner, i really enjoy my xterra but a huge part of my joy is that it is my daily driver. if you dont plan to use it as a daily driver and have intentions of having fun with the 4x4 then i would honestly say i would get the rubicon. i just cant ignore the setup of that rig. and right now at 0% financing for all models as well as a lifetime powertrain warranty, i say take the rubicon.

i mean i love my xterra but if it wasnt my daily driver and i only used it for trails and fun off-roading, i would consider the rubicon. no car is perfect of course, but that is just my two cents

·
on line
230 Posts
Due to the unreliability and devistating cost of the differentials not to mention having to fix the bottoming out problem...I would have to reccomend the Jeep. The Jeep would be less attractive for a daily driver due to the engine, but despite early JK production issues it is a far more relaible vehicle, especially off-road then the X, FJ, or H3.

For your use do you really want to be wheeling in the middle of no where a couple years down the road and spit either your front or rear diff out on the ground? And how do you fix that? Once again Nissan, thanks for screwing us and fooling us into buying this vehicle for off-road and expedition use!

Why not get the hard, Freedom Top?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Some other points--

-You can tow any RUBICON, because of Manual transmission--

--If you chooze Xterra, you'll have to LOOK for your choice in all the options with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION, coiuld be difficult--

--Towing the Xterra versus the Ruboicon would be more expensive because of Weight/frontal streamlining/Physical size--

--You don't say how many kids you have and that MIGHT help, decide which vehicle you get--

--If it was me and I was raising kids again, I wouldn't waste money on the RUBICON, TOO many off-road attributes to be used for casual off-roading with wife and kids, stay with the cheaper, more family friendly WRANGLER,
but you'll still have to stay with the M/T--

--You'll have to teach your wife HOW TO OPERATE (clutch/4wd/tire change) , whichever one you get, in case of trouble ANYWHERE (many variables)--

-- :geek: :geek: --GOOD luck JIMBO

·
on line
122 Posts
I also am a former Jeep Rubicon owner that came over to an X. After I drove from NY to MT, WY and CO on a 2 week cruise I realized what a horrible on road vehicle it truly was (the Jeep that is). Gotta think that in your case you could get away with driving the Jeep off road and short distances but anything over 100 miles is painful.

My 2 cents.

Here are pics from my trip...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/jeffrey123/JDandJP149.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/jeffrey123/JDandJP205.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/jeffrey123/JDandJP241.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/jeffrey123/JDandJP255.jpg

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Browns Nissan in Sterling VA is making it a harder choice. After trading e-mails with them today they are offering $500 under invoice.
MSRP was $30,250 ..... invoice $28,400 and then the $2000 off makes it $25,900. The loaded up Rubicon navi, 2 tops etc was invoice at $32k. Stealer is letting the Rubicon out the door at invoice (yea suprised me too). For 6k I could probably replace both axles (ok just kidding, but I really could buy a decent long term warranty and still have $ left for bumpers!)

I'm going to drive the x tomorrow and see.

·
on line
735 Posts
nissan was just recently giving $2750 cash back on 2007 Xterras. $2k off an '08 is a nice deal too.

I don't know about an axle swap on a rack and pinion truck..so much to change, but I was just thinking about buying a wrangler and stripping out the engine and trans from the X. I just can not consider a wrangler with that sorry ass minivan mill.

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All
Visitd the stealer today and drove a black 2008 6-speed OR. That was really a nice ride, much better than the JK. Although they really put the hard sell on when I tried to leave. When I told him I was not ready to purchase (they didn't have the right color) He asked me why I <even> came to the dealership, I said to drive one, and he seemed insulted. Guess I need to find another dealership.

Has any one seen a manual desert stone OR anywhere near DC (200m). I would drive from Raleigh NC to Rochester NY to find one. Another dealer I talked to today said they would only search over 50 miles (yea thanks alot .... I could do that myself).

Some of these Nissan dealerships are really pieces of work. Bad customer service from the start.

·
on line
106 Posts
I got my X at Browns in Fairfax Va. I have happy with the customer service there and in Manassas.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Man I drove my 95 wrangler over 600 miles in a day at least 6 times. Not to bad except the wind noise. Oh and it was a 4 banger, held 75 the whole time. I guess it's all what you consider comfort. I think the X is luxury IMO and thought my jeep was just fine.

I would say test drive them both with the family and pick what you guys like the best.

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sdhexpert said:
Ok Browns Nissan in Sterling VA is making it a harder choice. After trading e-mails with them today they are offering $500 under invoice.
MSRP was $30,250 ..... invoice $28,400 and then the $2000 off makes it $25,900. The loaded up Rubicon navi, 2 tops etc was invoice at $32k. Stealer is letting the Rubicon out the door at invoice (yea suprised me too). For 6k I could probably replace both axles (ok just kidding, but I really could buy a decent long term warranty and still have $ left for bumpers!)

I'm going to drive the x tomorrow and see.
More developments on the JK front! Drove a JK 6speed Rubicon today, mentioned that the Nissan dealer was quoting 1000 under invoice and allowing me to keep the 2500 rebate ..... the salesman went and got the sales manager..... they both returned and the sales manager offered the JK for 1000 under invoice also! Of course there is no rebate but 1000 under invoice is the best deal I have heard of on the JK. I may just have to grab it. Of course I used the old "need to talk to the wife" but I believe that to be the lowest price I've heard of on the JK.

I'm not sure what my local Nissan dealer is up to but I got an e-mail yesterday notifing me of a special sale.

See below:

To all past, present and future Sterling Nissan clients,

Taxes in Northern VA are increasing by 33%!!!

Beginning January 1st, 2008 all vehicles to be registered in Northern VA will be charged 4% title tax...Maryland will charge 6%!!!

At Brown's Sterling Nissan we are offering incredible end of year savings on all new vehicles in stock!!!!

Take advantage of Double Factory Rebates!!!

Plus...

$1,000 over Kelly Blue Book Fair Condition!!!

Plus...

We will pay the current 3% VA title tax!!!

OR

Bring in this coupon for $1,000 off the Browns's Price when you purchase a new Nissan from dealer inventory... This offer is only good through the end of the year!! We will not be able to offer this program once the taxes increase!! Find a way to get here as soon as possible while inventory is still plentiful!!

While most stores are offering last years left over inventory.. Browns Sterling Nissan is offering these deals on current new vehicle stock!!! We look forward to seeing you before the end of the year!!! Happy Holidays from The Browns Sterling Nissan family to yours!!!

There is a black 6speed that MSRP IS $30205 , INVOICE IS $28424. This truck could be had for 25205 (out the door). Assuming I would of had to pay the 3.1% tax the actual price of this truck is $24,450 .... pretty decent discount close to 20% from sticker. What to do???

·
on line
735 Posts
At least they are working for your business. Any non-economy car sales are in the tank right now..make 'em wait until after xmas to see how much they are willing to eat it on one deal to get their quota for the month. I like both rides, so I don't have an opinion on which one is better for you.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
The X and Rubicon are both competent offroad vehicles, with the latter obviously being better suited for difficult four-wheeling with a lift and bigger tires. However, if your plan is just moderate four-wheeling, I'd take a closer look at the Xterra. As you've seen, the X is quite a bit less than the Rubicon, and it does great offroad. I'd buy one again. Also, how often do you plan to use it offroad? A few times a year, or every weekend? I wouldn't be so quick to discount the Xterra as a capable offroad vehicle. If you plan to use it occassionally on moderate trails, get the X; if you plan to run difficult trails every weekend, buy the Rubi and put a lift and bigger tires on it. Don't forget that the 4-door Rubicon has the 117" wheelbase you have to contend with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts