Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team Xterra Racing is mulling the idea for the weight savings and versatility...Anyone with any experience or concerns about using these batteries in a race vehicle, please let the team know here:

Team Xterra Racing battery thread...

Additionally if anyone has any experience with these batteries in a daily driver please post that as well as I'd love to drop 25-30 pounds from the front of my X if possible as well...

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have no first hand experience, but they have been considered one of the top batteries...period.

They are not cheap though. For the race truck, I say do it. For a daily driver, might be a bit much.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea on which one is appropriate for a our trucks?? Wondering what (if any) the weight savings would be as someone on a Titan forum was talking about the 1700 which weighs 60 pounds!!

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have no first hand experience, but they have been considered one of the top batteries...period.

They are not cheap though. For the race truck, I say do it. For a daily driver, might be a bit much.
X2 Get the Yellow Top Optima for yours, Mine works AWSOME.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
spalind said:
Any idea on which one is appropriate for a our trucks?? Wondering what (if any) the weight savings would be as someone on a Titan forum was talking about the 1700 which weighs 60 pounds!!
For the good batteries for an offroad vehicle, you won't save any weight. What you will get is a kick ass battery though.

I would have to look again. When I bought my Orbital I was looking at the Oddyssey batteries and found the one that would fit our needs the best. I want to say it as a 1500 or something, but like I said, I would have to look again.

What some people have been doing is using one of the very very small starting batteries as the primary starter and then using a marine deep cycle as their aux battery for lights, winch, OBA, etc.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XterraDude said:
Muzikman said:

Oh, I'm on my second yellow top in my personal truck...its always been good to me...just lookin to see if I could get some significant weight savings and approx. the same performance out of something else...

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Sorry, but the ODESSEY has become famous for its use in--

--Motorcycles/Snowmobiles/ATV--it has been a failure in its use in AUTOMOBILES, especially heavyduty use like racing--

--If you want reliability, do as Xterradude suggests--

--Go to OPTIMA yellow/Blue top-

You can't get a LOT for free, so expect to pay a Little more for security--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,127 Posts
spalind said:
XterraDude said:
Muzikman said:

Oh, I'm on my second yellow top in my personal truck...its always been good to me...just lookin to see if I could get some significant weight savings and approx. the same performance out of something else...
MMMM gottcha. As for me I need all the weight in the front end as I can get with those stupid AC coils. :bounce:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
XterraDude said:
MMMM gottcha. As for me I need all the weight in the front end as I can get with those stupid AC coils. :bounce:
Tell that to OregonX.... he had to trim his fenders becasue his front whell smashed into them while running the AC coils.

They can be compressed more than you think.

As for batteries Optima and Exide are both top notch (dont know about weight though.

Exide Orbital select = same as = Optima Red top

Exide XDC = same as= Optima Yellow top

·
on line
853 Posts
Regarding the Odyssey: you might want to check the SCCX website and look for a post from WolfmanX. He is running a dual (maybe even triple by now) Odyssey system in his X. It's a first gen, but he does know a lot about those batteries.

I could not find an Exide or Optima yellow (or red) locally with the proper terminal orientation, but I did find a new line of batteries at Sears that look good. It's their Platinum Die Hard. They are AGM like the Exide Orbital and the Optimas, but not in a circular set up like those 2. Sears claims higher CCA and Reserve Capacity than circular types in the same size. They are heavy.

They have a group 35 size (correct terminal orientation for our trucks) that has 740 CCA and 100 RC. That's slightly better than the Optima D35 Yellow which is 650 CCA and 98 RC. It fits in with room to spare (like the Optima). I had one put in Friday morning, so far it works great, including a trip to Anza Borrego on Saturday.

They also have a group 34 size that should physically fit in but you'll have to deal with the wrong terminal orientation. It has 120 RC, which would be nice. PaulXYZ managed to re-shape that weird Nissan positive terminal connector to mount a comparable Yellow Top in his X, but he will have to describe how he did it.

I don't have lights or a winch, so the smaller one will hopefully work for me. The stock battery claims 113 RC, but mine was corroding pretty badly around the positive terminal, I just could not trust it much longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts