Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took 45k miles, but I’ve finally managed to wear my stock Long Trails down to the point I don’t feel guilty replacing them. I could probably go another 5k, but I’m taking the family on a long road trip up north over the holidays so I can justify fresh tires.

I know a few people here have gone with 235/85/16 replacements…I would be curious to know how are they’re working out.

I’m looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in this size. I’ve heard good things about the Silent Armors. If you believe the Tire Rack’s spec sheet, they are only 46lbs. This makes them lighter than almost every 265/75/16 “C� 6-ply tire out there.. My other choice - Revos - are a bunch heavier at 52 lbs. A/T KOs at 47lbs are about the same weight as the Goodyear, but I’ve been less than happy in the past with the wet braking performance, difficulty in balancing and a tendency to flat spot overnight..

It may seem obsessive, but tire weight is a critical consideration to me. As MC confirmed when he went to the 285s, too heavy of a tire has a lot of down sides…gas mileage, acceleration, brake wear, and suspension dynamics over rough surfaces. This is my daily driver so I don’t want my gas mileage or acceleration to take too much of a beating.

The 235 is a 10-ply rating so I expect the ride will be rougher, but I think can deal with that.

From an asthetics perspective, they won’t fill up the fender wells, but they will have a functional look that I will appreciate.

What do you think?

regards,

·
on line
245 Posts
willyswan said:
It took 45k miles, but I’ve finally managed to wear my stock Long Trails down to the point I don’t feel guilty replacing them. I could probably go another 5k, but I’m taking the family on a long road trip up north over the holidays so I can justify fresh tires.

I know a few people here have gone with 235/85/16 replacements…I would be curious to know how are they’re working out.

I’m looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in this size. I’ve heard good things about the Silent Armors. If you believe the Tire Rack’s spec sheet, they are only 46lbs. This makes them lighter than almost every 265/75/16 “C� 6-ply tire out there.. My other choice - Revos - are a bunch heavier at 52 lbs. A/T KOs at 47lbs are about the same weight as the Goodyear, but I’ve been less than happy in the past with the wet braking performance, difficulty in balancing and a tendency to flat spot overnight..

It may seem obsessive, but tire weight is a critical consideration to me. As MC confirmed when he went to the 285s, too heavy of a tire has a lot of down sides…gas mileage, acceleration, brake wear, and suspension dynamics over rough surfaces. This is my daily driver so I don’t want my gas mileage or acceleration to take too much of a beating.

The 235 is a 10-ply rating so I expect the ride will be rougher, but I think can deal with that.

From an asthetics perspective, they won’t fill up the fender wells, but they will have a functional look that I will appreciate.

What do you think?

regards,
I think those are waaay too narrow. I think a lot better option would be either the 255/85/16 or the OEM size on the OR edition at 265/75/16... 235's are about 9.25 inches wide which is about an inch smaller than the 255's. the 255's would give you about a 33 inch tire without any rubbing issues due to the width, and the 265's are what are on the off road edition which also would fit perfectly and are about 32 inches tall and 10.5 inches wide. I know I'd be happier with either of those tires. IMO the 235's are just too narrow. I hope that helped.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
^^ X2^^

·
on line
259 Posts
I had the idea of running 235/85/16 as a studded winter tire to maximize traction on snow and ice. I think that was the ideal application for such narrow tire, but i did not want to run them in the summer. Therefore i either had to get a set of extra wheels (and figure out the pressure sensor thing) or have them remounted every 6 months. I ended up getting BGF AT KO 265/75/16 and I'm very happy.

Summary: 235/85/16 is a good choise, but I would recommend 265/75/16 for 32" and 255/85/75 for 33".

BTW this tire is very used through out the world.

·
on line
264 Posts
my dad and a good friend are running that tire and cant say enough good things about it.. unbelievable traction

·
on line
1,716 Posts
bwarren228 said:
Rastaman said:
Summary: 235/85/16 is a good choise, but I would recommend 265/75/16 for 32" and 255/85/75 for 33".
Holy crap, they make 75" rims now???? :D
Thats some serious bling...you need to get those w/spinners!

·
on line
259 Posts
Lonesome Crow said:
bwarren228 said:
Rastaman said:
Holy crap, they make 75" rims now???? :D
Thats some serious bling...you need to get those w/spinners!
Gimme a break, i hadn't had my coffee yet...

:)

They do make them, not for the X only for the mining trucks.

:geek:

·
on line
58 Posts
XVTer said:
X3
with the 235's they may have a really hard time getting the tires on the bead of the wheel, and thus may make it a little easier to pop one off if you hit a curb or something.
Howzit, With the AT 235's made from BFG, the Rim Width Range (inches) these tires are made for are 6-7 inches. Our rims are 7 in. so these tires will be perfect. You will have a diameter of 31.7 in. With the MT 235's the Rim Width Range is 6-7 inches as well and you will have a diameter of 32 in. Both will require no mods to your wheel well, no frame rub, and you will roughly maintain your current mpg. I say go with either of these tires!
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/all-terrain-t-a-ko/44.html
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/mud-terrain-t-a-km/1152.html
Aloha, nalu's one

·
on line
735 Posts
The biggest off-highway mining truck wheel is 63" (not counting the dubs on truck 441 there). Some people do put bling on their haul trucks though.. Mexico trucks have the Virgin Mary, red white and green stickers, and dash board graffiti, where as in China, they have a fridge and a microwave on the deck.

ON TOPIC: 235/85's are usually 10 ply and stiff and heavy..hard to get a flat though. Dunlop did (does) make a mud rover 10 ply in some sizes with a fairly flexible sidewall that allowed flotation on soft surfaces.

·
on line
807 Posts
I agree with most everyone else. If you want a narrower tire, go with the 255/85R16. You will need a little lift to clear them, but it is a great tire size.

·
on line
279 Posts
stevet47 said:
I agree with most everyone else. If you want a narrower tire, go with the 255/85R16. You will need a little lift to clear them, but it is a great tire size.
This was my idea also, but unfortunately, they just don't seem to make ATs in this size, only MTs. I need ATs, so I'm pretty much SOL.

·
on line
99 Posts
I've been running the 255/85/16's and they've been great, performed really well this summer. When we went on a snow run about two weekends ago we didn't get stuck, but it seemed like a few of the 285/ guys were staying up on top of the fresh stuff more than me. Once I even went into 4lo just to keep up the wheelspin. We dug down and got great traction, but it's as skinny a tire as I would want on this rig...
[/img]

·
on line
63 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts